I am working on a Stevens 200 build. The complete rifle will be chambered in 300 win mag.(McGowen 26" barrel), will be bedded in a Boyd's laminate thumb hole stock and have a timney 2.5lb trigger. The intended use for the rifle is western deer/elk hunting and paper punching. I would like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards (hunting less than 600.) I am looking at the Vortex Viper line of scopes.

Here are my questions:

Being that this rifle will be used for hunting/ paper shooting what power scope would be appropriate? 2.5-10x44 or 4-16x44?

I would like to be able to adjust the turrets for holdover. Has anyone used the viper hs (capped turret) scopes for this application? How reliable are the turrets on the HS, capped version? The reason I am looking at the capped version is because I don't want to worry about exposed turrets getting adjusted by accident in the field.

Last question. Will a 0 MOA base work for shots from 0-600 yards with the Vortex Viper scopes, or do I need a 20 MOA base? I will most likely not ever shoot past 600 yards.