Thread: Millett LRS 6-25X 56mm SF with 35mm tube Review

seanhagerty

Millett LRS 6-25X 56mm SF with 35mm tube Review

User Evaluation of the Millett LRS 6-25X SF Scope
    w/ MilDot reticle

Bottom Line up front: Good glass although the turret adjustments are troublesome. This is a good mid priced scope, worth the money.

When I received this scope, I had bought it direct from Bushnell through their customer service. They shipped it out direct to my house within a few days of placing my order. Upon receipt, I opened the box and was pleased to find a box full of scope!! This thing was huge!!

I found out I had to get a larger case for my rifle, as the vertical plano case I had been using would not close over the scope. Another toy to buy…
    Also in the box was a sun shade, a felt scope cover that reminded me of a crown royal bag, high rings, tools for install and zero, a cleaning cloth, and a set of instructions. I installed it immediately on my Savage 110 bolt action, and bore sighted it by looking through the barrel. At the range I was able to zero it with a few rounds, with the adjustments being about the values I had expected. When playing with it at the zero range, it behaved as I expected.

The side focus seems to track exactly with the distance it is observing. I played with this quite a bit and found it to track well.

Evaluation criteria:

Clarity- good clarity except at highest magnification. At times it would be milky, others it would be fine. I just dial it down a bit and I am happy. I have taken to using the sunshade continuously, just in case I need it. The shade makes the scope seem larger than the gun itself.

Light gathering abilities- In low light conditions (ambient lights in my neighborhood), the scope seemed to gather light well. I was able to use ambient light (no street lights, just porch lights) to count bricks on a house 100 yards away.

Features- MilDot reticle, 35mm Tube, high rings supplied with the scope, manual was adequate, (although they need someone to spend some time with it, making it more understandable.)
    W&E Adjustment - 1/4 MOA elevation, 0.1 Mil windage- Seems repeatable by repeated adjustments between different ranges. Box test was inconclusive, seemed to go where I wanted it and ended up at the center X. One shot was off the spot by about an inch. Not sure if I pulled it. I will try to shoot this again once I have a load developed for this.

Endurance- 223 Rem 100 rounds so far. 600 rounds of 260 rem. Works fine so far.

Price- Natchez Shooters Supply had a sale right after I paid full price through Bushnell, I paid neighborhood of $400. I have seen it as low as $250ish.

Customer Service-Great. Worked through all problems, and I had a few. Sent scope back twice, ended up with a new one. First time, maint was unable to reproduce the fault. Maybe they should have called instead of sending back with no repairs. When I sent it back the second time, on their dime btw, the tech rep I was working with called me when he had it in hand. We were able to work it out, and they even sent me a set of low rings, which I like a lot better than the high rings. They were very helpful in all regards.

Turret adjustments- The clicks are ok, although they seem to have a bit of play. I was able to adjust to long range (600 yards) and back to zero (100 yds), getting first round hits at both distances. The trouble came when I was trying to zero the turrets to the scope adjustment. The directions in the manual are flat out wrong in how they direct you to do it. I called customer service, they attempted to talk me through the adjustment. Seems they wanted me to lock the elevation, then loosen the screw on top of the turret, then lift the turret. The turret would not lift when locked. I unlocked it, then it would not lift far enough to clear the internals. When I tried to turn it, there would be clicking like I was adjusting the elevation. I ended up sending the first scope back. They sent it back with a note saying they could not reproduce. I sent it back again. They sent me a new scope. This one had the same problem. I have talked to at least one other LRS owner that had the same thing going on. (Millett needs to get their act together on this.) I fixed my own problem by taping a strip of white paper over the numbers and hash marks on my turret, then covering it with clear tape. I make marks at each 100 yard increment, so I have my own home made custom turret.

Sitting on my Savage 110 with a 26” SS Bull barrel, this things makes the whole rifle/optics system seem huge!! I get comments from folks at the range and comps about that all the time. I like the fact that this is large, it gives me a comfort level that it is a very substantial optic.
    I would buy this scope again.

Re: Millett LRS 6-25X 56mm SF with 35mm tube Review

so you sent it back a total of 4 times ?
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

seanhagerty

Re: Millett LRS 6-25X 56mm SF with 35mm tube Review

well, twice. Once they could not reproduce the fault. Second time, they thought they were able to fix it, but instead replaced it.