Thread: fixed or variable scope ?? 22-250

benfranklin

fixed or variable scope ?? 22-250

Looking still for another scope for f class shooting to 250 yards so far.

I can not decide if I want to go fixed or variable power...I have heard the
    variables sometime change point of impact.I have a cheap BSA on it now..
    I want something more clear and with parelox free or at least adjustable.

I know I got a cheap scope on it now..I was thinking maybe a straight 16x
    would be good or maybe up to 20...
    So whats some of your opinions on this for another scope...I appreciate your advice.

I have looked at the sightrons and nightforce..But still not sure of the variable
    type..John

benfranklin

Re: fixed or variable scope ?? 22-250

whats up with the no replies....I figured at least one...

Basic Member

John if you are worried about change of POI with the Slll's then don't. Mine 6-24, 8-32, and 10-50 have no change as power is changed. Can't speak for Nightforce as i don't own one.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Variable = more moving parts or more that can go wrong regaurdless of brand.
    For target out to 250 -16 or 20x fixed with good glass IMO can't be beat and you don't need to spend a lot of money for a good fixed power. Check out the SS line at www.swfa.com $300 plus shipping, they are mil dots but the glass is very very clear and they are built like tanks.
    I use the 20x out to 200 and will eventualy replace all my variables with them.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

JCalhoun

We need to know what your budget is and how for do you plan on shooting the rifle.

I would look for something that has repreatable tracking and clarity. Magnification is not as important as clarity.

For a variable I like the Luepold Vari-X 2 6-18X40 AO Target with fine duplex. One currently sits on my F-Class rifle and the other is on the silhouette rifle.

I recently got into a little bit of long range BR and decided on a Weaver fixed 36X AO target scope.

If side focus in important, I think the Nikon Monarch has the best for the money.

There are plenty target scopes in the $400 to $700 price that will be great for what you want to do. Just do some research and define what you need.

BTW, I have never heard anyone say that they won a match because they had the best or most expensive scope. However, shooters will cuss a crappy scope all day long.

Patriot Prepper

I have both fixed and variable. I believe the bottom line is your budget. If you have limited funds, a fixed power may be a better choice. I have several Super Sniper fixed power scopes that have given me exceptional performance for the money. I also have several Millet variable power scopes that are relatively inexpensive, but have also given me reliable use. I have used BSA fixed power and they do not seem to track well.

My choice is to use variable power scopes. I am using Nightforce scopes and will be replacing most of my scopes with Nightforce. But as stated, the Super Sniper and Millet scopes have served me well. I currently use a Millet LRS on a Savage 110 BA .338 LM and it holds zero and tracks well. With less expensive scopes your performance might be based on being lucky enough to not wind up with a lemon. I guess, I have been lucky.

Use whatever scope you can afford and work your way up to a better scope. But given equal quality, in my experience, a variable is much more useful and pleasant to shoot.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by benfranklin
    I can not decide if I want to go fixed or variable power...I have heard the
    variables sometime change point of impact.I
    Just cheap ones, a good piece of glass will not.

It all depends on what you want to do with this gun. A 22/250 is mostly thought of as a varmint gun, and if you plan on shooting varmints I would get a varible power scope, that is around 9 power to 24. If the gun is purly a target rifle, I personaly like straight power for distances under 400 yards, and a varible power for distances out past 400. With that said if it is a true paper puncher, and that is all it will ever do, then I would say I prefer big power scope for distances under 400 yards, around 36 power (Or more.) is nice, for shooting out past 400 I think 24 is about perfect.

Either way I would have to say the best lower priced scope I have seen is the Vortex crossfire 8-32. The only problem with this scope is that it requires 30mm rings, and they can be a bit of a task to find. I own 2 8-32 crossfires, and if it was not for the ring issue, I would own a couple more. The scope is ultra clear, hold zero, track prefect, and is a great scope.

Here you go.
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...sfire8-32x50ao

benfranklin

I appreciate your valued replies....And to answer your question

I am sure the rifle will be used mostly as a paper puncher..That is
    why I was leaning toward the fixed power.But then again I was
    wondering about the mirage issue..I have had some people
    tell me that is not a problem..Well,I can tell you it sure is..

You have givin me some ideas and thoughts to ponder..

So thank you very much.....John

benfranklin

well,I ordered a tasco 6 to 24 to try...I guess if it aint worth it I can send it back for another..
    Reason I did was because I see a few others using the same thing...oh well,I will see how it goes..john

Leonardo63

I have a Tasco 6x24 BDC range finding scope- I bought it 20 years ago- it was what I could afford. Bottom line is, darn thing works! Find the range, dial it in. dead on. I know most people will laugh at it, but dead chucks at 400 plus don't tell no lies. I can do a box test on it all day long and it flat works- I did drop some serious coin on a scope for my new build though. I'm still struggling with spending more for the glass than the gun costs.

Quote Originally Posted by benfranklin
    I appreciate your valued replies....And to answer your question

I am sure the rifle will be used mostly as a paper puncher..That is
    why I was leaning toward the fixed power.But then again I was
    wondering about the mirage issue..I have had some people
    tell me that is not a problem..Well,I can tell you it sure is..

You have givin me some ideas and thoughts to ponder..

So thank you very much.....John
    John,
    To me mirage is a double edged sword, while it can be distracting, it is also one of the best tools for reading the wind if you don't have flags. I use both fixed and variable powdered scopes and if you have a side focus knob on either one it can be used to get mirage readings at multiple points between you and the target, sort of like wind flags set up at multiple distances.

Good luck with the Tasco.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!