Thread: Millet Scopes

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Millet Scopes

What's the general consensus on Millet scopes? I got Midway's sale paper today & they're selling a Millet 4-16 x 50 side focus for $315. I need a decent glass but I don't want to spend alot for at least another 3 months or until I finish the project I'm on.

I like 16x minimum & I've never had a S.F. scope. I thought I'd give it the 'ol college try unless y'all tell me I'm better of with a couple of Coke bottle bottoms & a toilet paper tube to tape them to

I see Midway has a Simmons too. I think it's their Predator series which I hear guys using it, like it. The last 3 Simmons scopes I had were disasterous & I swore I'd never buy another one. I also got divorced & remarried 3 times, too.....

What say ye? shall it be yea or nay? ???

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

seanhagerty

Re: Millet Scopes

Frank,

I have a Millett LRS. It has a honking big tube, 35mm. I am pretty hapy with it. Had a bit of an issue with how to zero the turrets out once I had the scope zero'd to the load. Millett helped me figure it out. I would buy another one.

The SF is a great feature. I like being able to lay down and not have to position to adjust the focus. The view does get a bit dim at the highest mag. Not a deal breaker for me.

you get a thumbs up from me on this.

Sean

Basic Member

I have the Millet Buck Gold 4-16X56 and the 6-24X56. Both are great scopes, the side focus is accurate as far as range goes, tracks well, and returns to zero every time. They do their job.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

skypilot

Thumbs up from me 2. I have the LRS 6-25x 56mm on a .243. No issues.

Basic Member

Starting to sound like it may be a winner... of sorts. It seems the acid test foe me is using a scope on my 30.06.
    If I can spend a day shooting & the reticle is still visible in the scope, It gets a green light.
    I've yet to have a Simmons that passed that test.

I suppose I should look at them on a side by side comparison with Vortex. I've grown to like my Crossfire alot, even with the few headaches its given me. The warranty & cust. svc. is worth it.

Thanks for the input.

Frank in Fla

Celtic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty
    Frank,

I have a Millett LRS. It has a honking big tube, 35mm. I am pretty hapy with it. Had a bit of an issue with how to zero the turrets out once I had the scope zero'd to the load. Millett helped me figure it out. I would buy another one.

The SF is a great feature. I like being able to lay down and not have to position to adjust the focus. The view does get a bit dim at the highest mag. Not a deal breaker for me.

Sean
    Sean - I also have a LRS and trouble zero setting the turrets. They click (and move the retical) with the screw backed all the way out. I called Millett and the tech told me to back the screws out futher, which I did but the only way the turrets spin freely is when the turret screws click the, again moving the retical.

What, if I may ask, did they tell you to do?

Team Savage

I've had the 4-16 (1) and the 6-25 (8) Buck Gold scopes. All 9 were great. I use the FC 6-25 verison on both my F T/R rigs. I installed a 8-32 Crossfire on a rifle and it's also good glass for the money... it you can find one.

I've shot against all the "big names" and have done very well. I love to watch folks shake their heads when they got beat by a $200 scope. I don't have any Mil-dots...... too darn cluttered for my liking. I want to see every bit of what's happening..... not a bunch of dots or lines.

Yep... they are big..... but built like a tank!
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

I got a 4-16x 50 LRS last fall. Natchez Shooters Supply had the digital camo model on sale for $240. I finally got around to installing it on my 10FP and shot with it for the first time last week. I have to say I was very impressed.
    Downsides: very large and heavy. Camo finish on mine is kinda spotty, but it's growing on me. Had same issues as others had with turrets being a little difficult to reset without inadvertently adding clicks, but this was more of a minor annoyance than a big problem with mine. My single biggest gripe is that mine came with pop-up scope covers already installed, which I wanted to remove, but the front one feels like its super-glued in place. Could not remove it. Oh well.

Upside: seems to be built sturdily, and heavy, and since I only carry the thing 30 feet from the truck to the bench, this is good with me. Comes with a set of rings, that are decent. Surprisingly clear glass. Fine reticle with very small mil-dots that don't obstruct your view; this is the only mil-dot I have ever really liked, for that reason. Side focus works well and is labeled exactly right for the various distances; I've had more expensive scopes that were not marked correctly for my eyes. Resettable turrets is a big plus. They're also lockable, and they have a generous adjustment range. I zeroed at 200 and clicked my way out to 600yds with no issues, although mine is on a 20 MOA rail. The variable lighted reticle is also neat, although I'll probably rarely if ever actually use it. Also backed by a lifetime warranty through Bushnell.

If I had known this scope was this good, at $240 I would have bought two. I think they were this cheap because the digital camo models like mine are, well, kinda homely looking. But they work at a level 2-3x their price.

Basic Member

It seems for a cheap / inexpensive scope it gets a pretty good grade. Even if it is a big honkin' mo fo of a scope. Big & honkin' don't make no never mind to me. Not after having a Crossfire 8-32x on top of one of my '06's. It kinda reminds me of a telescope on top of a rifle..... I mean just in case you want to have a look at Saturns rings or some other celestial event.

After hearing what y'all are saying, I believe I may have a go at one. After all, It couldn't possibly be any worse than a Barska 6 - 24 x 50 I have. And it's been sitting very proudly atop my .270 for 2 years now without a single problem. But, please don't tell anybody I own a ......(ulp)... Barska. ::)

Thanks to all for your input. It's been a big help as usual.

Frank "No I don't own one of THOSE" in Fla

Uncle Jack

".....a BARSKA"? Jesus, Mary and Joseph! That will at least 10 "Hail Marys".

uj

seanhagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior
    Frank,

Sean
    Sean - I also have a LRS and trouble zero setting the turrets. They click (and move the retical) with the screw backed all the way out. I called Millett and the tech told me to back the screws out futher, which I did but the only way the turrets spin freely is when the turret screws click the, again moving the retical.

You are having the same trouble I was. I took the cheap route away from this problem. I cut a strip of white paper and taped it around the elevation turret covering the numbers and the hashmarks. Then I covered the whole paper with clear tape.

So, I have a piece of white paper instead of the numbers, and I write my yardage on it. As an example, I zero at 100 yards so I have a tick mark drawn on the paper and the number "100" right above it. I know my 200 yard zero is 7 clicks UP from my 100 yard zero, so I have another tick mark and the number "200" above it, etc...... So far I have only verified data out to 600, but plan to do farther.

For come ups, now I dont have to do anything but dial in the elevation. If its colder, I might add an extra click. If its warmer, I might take a click out.

It may not be permenant, but I will see how this lasts.

Sean

Celtic Warrior

Thx. That's a great idea. You basically created a reusable Gunwerks G7 turret. The heck with MOA/MILS shoot in yards, based on my own loads.

Basic Member

Looked at a Milllet 4-16x50 TRS as part of my search process. It was crystal clear at lower power but above 12 that particular scope was dark and fuzzy even with side focus adjustment. Had a range of view from 10-500 yds. The controls were easy to read and use. Also there was not much play looking through the eyepiece. Good relief, but if you moved your head left or right in the slightest bit you lost the image completely.
    Really big, really awesome looking scope, but I was not as impressed as I hoped I would be. My rifle is almost 4' long so that Millet would have looked sweet riding on top of it.
    Also, never used one but I have only ever heard good things about the Buck Gold series.
    My .02,
    David

May have been that particular scope?? Mine is clear enough at all power levels. However, I'm sure that quality control at this price point is probably spotty. Surely some lemons out there. But you have a warranty, if problems happen.

cgeorgemo

I've got the 4-16X56 Buck Gold and I am very happy with it. I shot it on top of my .308 for 180 rounds one afternoon and while my shoulder was beat to hell the scope was and has been fine.

Basic Member

Frank,
    Got my Cameraland Viper today and I am extremely pleased with it. Bright, clear, and the same level of image no matter what power you dial in. Love the knobs and side focus. I will be signing up for Photobucket to give a more detailed pictorial and review.
    At first glance definitely worth the price and more

Patriot Prepper

I have three Millet scopes, the DMS, 4-16 tactical, and the LRS. I have never had any problems with the scopes. For the money they are great scopes in my humble opinion. I read reviews on several other forums, most of the reviews were favorable. Optics planet has reviews of the Millet scopes that are favorable. I bought many scopes from both Optics Planet and Natchez, both offer great prices.

Basic Member

WestPat - I'd like to see & hear more. It might be better for me to just spend the extra money & listen to my 'ol lady's yap. I am still very partial to the Vortex products. Especially with the few "difficulties" I had with mine & how they made good for it. With no out of pocket expense to me..... at all.

In spite of it all, I still like the Crossfire I have. Not too many scopes stay clear & bright at the upper magnifications when you only pay a hundred bucks for it. I only wish I could get another one for my new toy - the pawn shop 25.06 that's been occupying my attention lately.

By the way WestPat - whatcha pay for that Viper? I know CameraLand has some terribly good deals there.

Later..... Range bound for the day (rain pending)

Frank in Fla

Celtic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior
    Frank,

Sean

You are having the same trouble I was. I took the cheap route away from this problem. I cut a strip of white paper and taped it around the elevation turret covering the numbers and the hashmarks. Then I covered the whole paper with clear tape.

So, I have a piece of white paper instead of the numbers, and I write my yardage on it. As an example, I zero at 100 yards so I have a tick mark drawn on the paper and the number "100" right above it. I know my 200 yard zero is 7 clicks UP from my 100 yard zero, so I have another tick mark and the number "200" above it, etc...... So far I have only verified data out to 600, but plan to do farther.

For come ups, now I dont have to do anything but dial in the elevation. If its colder, I might add an extra click. If its warmer, I might take a click out.

It may not be permenant, but I will see how this lasts.

Sean
    Sean:

I finally found time to mess with the LRS and I think I have it figured out. Contrary to what would seem logical I found that if I loosen the turret locks the cap moves freely. So it appears that the turret locks push the click mechanism up higher not allowing the cap to disengage.

Try this and see if it works for you.

Basic Member
    i have the LRS 6x25x56mm that i bought some time ago and now that i am near completion on my project, i realized the rings were way too high for my needs. cost me $11 and change to send them back plus $10 for return shipping asking if they would exchange the perfectly new untouched rings for the low rings which are .476 if memory serves me. they have received my rings on 7-16-12 and i am still awaiting an response or my rings returned.
    have never dealt with millett before but i do like what i see in the scope i have. seems to be very well built and i hope it holds up with no problems.
    i think i would buy another but next time something like the 4x16x50 as this LRS is just something MONSTROUS!!!!

Clink
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the Millet scope cover on the front on my new LRS? There were no instructions and it feels like its glued in.

Clink
    Nevermind. I was over thinking it. All it took was a little more force.

Went to the range today with my 111 and the LRS. Had several 3 shot groups less than .5MOA with Winchester Silver Tips 130g. This scope is very clear and held zero shot after shot.

Basic Member
    yeah, I was gonna say to try pulling a little harder on the scope caps. I didn't have any problem with getting mine off. I like my Milletts. for the money it's a good deal.