Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor: LRP vs a CBI Bull

Basic Member

6.5 Creedmoor: LRP vs a CBI Bull

NSS has a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that I believe is a takeoff from an LRP (Large Shank which is what I need as it is going on a M11 WSM action).

I know that, typically, custom barrels shoot better than factory barrels. How would a Savage LRP barrel compare with a CBI bull barrel? I've got it on my list of things to do to call Jim and ask him abour pricing for fluting to make an apple to apple comparison.

The LRP takeoff is $275. The CBI barrel is going to be $280 (roughly) plus the cost of fluting. If the LRP barrel is going to shoot fairly close to the CBI, I'd rather save a little bit and go with the LRP. If the CBI is going to shoot the lights out of an LRP takeoff, then I guess I'm saving a little longer to go with the CBI.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Basic Member

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor: LRP vs a CBI Bull

The following topic discusses the CBI barrels: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,38462.0.html

Alot of reading there. But, the main theme is that the Criterion barrels are shooters.

Trent

My factory LRP in 6.5CM outshoots my custom Shilen barreled 6.5CM.

Just my experience. The factory LRP barrels are beastly.

Haven't shot a Criterion (yet)... have shot a lot of Savage factory heavy barrels, including the one on my LRP 6.5 CM, plus a few custom barrels as well. I'd be hard pressed to imagine a custom barrel shooting 'better' than my LRP 6.5CM anywhere outside of maybe formal BR or LR F-Class.

Team Savage

My experience has been a CBI or McGowen barrel won't necessarily shoot better than a Savage factory barrel. But my CBI and McGowen barrels all clean up easier and copper foul less than my Savage factory barrels. Fluting may look nice and still fill the LRP stock barrel channel if that is you're objective, but it won't save much weight for the cost. And IMO, you won't be able to realize the true accuracy potential of a factory or custom barrel unless you handload.

Basic Member

I have a 6.5 cm in cbi 28in bull and it shoots better than any iv owned 100 rds this weekend and couldnt get a blue patch out of it! Go for the cbi

82boy

There is a lot of varibles in this question. To start there is good and bad in every barrel made, and each barrel has it own personality. On judging barrels, it depends on the skill of the shooter/tester, type of shooting and level of accuray desired, and last the loading skills of the shooter/tester.

What most people use to judge a barrel is how easy it is to clean, or how rough the barrel is. With that said, I would be willing to lay money down that the CBI barrel is much smoother in the bore and chamber than any Savage made. Its just a fact that Savage barrels has always be historicly rough looking. For the most part I have found that it don't make a difference in accuracy. But you are not going to see these defects in a good aftermarket barrel. The other reason why most shooters get aftermarket barrels is because the are looking for a caliber that is not chambered in a factory barrel.

Even if you flute the CBI barrel you not compairing apple to apples, the CBI barrels are just on a higher level. Now dont get me wrong I have seen, and owned many Savage factory barrels that would shoot. Funny thing is the best shooting factory Savage barrels I have seen, have had defects with them. Crooked chambers is common, I had a couple, and heard of other that have had them and shot well with them. I even had one that had a deep scratch that ran inside one of the groves the whole length of the barrel, and it shot lights out.

In closing, answering the question will the "LRP barrel shoot fairly close to the CBI?" The anwser is it depends on you. My experince is yes factory savage barrels shoot amazingly well. I would be willing to bet the average shooter could not tell the diference. I can say that when it comes down to the end I have never seen a factory savage barrel that will hang with a good custom barrel. When I say this I am talking about shooting small groups. Yes I have seen some factory Savage barrels shoot some very small groups, but in an overall aggregate (Combined groups size of several targets, and averaged out.) I have yet to see one that will hang with a custom.

Basic Member

Thanks for the comments.

I think I am going to save my pennies and go ahead and get a CBI. My decision to go with a CBI has also been influenced by the fact that I was able to pick up a M11 308 based action on the cheap and this will be my starting point for this build. Since it is 308 based, it is small shank so the decision to go with a CBI is made easier since the LRP barrels are all large shank.

I guess my last decision will be to flute or not.

The M11 WSM based action that I have will be left in the safe till I can build it out to either 7 WSM, 7 RSAUM, or 300 WSM.

Don't email me asking if I'll sell it. I got it for under $150 and it only has 80 rounds on it so even it if is two years before I do anything with it, I'm not out a lot of money ;D

Basic Member

Barrel flutes server three main functions. One is weight reduction, another is helping to cool the barrel faster, and the third is looks.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

logic factory

i am not going to do this topic justice but i invite others to look into the notion that "flutes cool a barrel quicker".

Texasshooter36

I had LRP 6.5 CM and it shot great but i now have a 26" Varmint contour Criterion barrel and it will shoot circles around the LRP!

crowe284

Texasshooter36, if I read ur post correctly...u had a factory LRP in 6.5 creedmoor and have now spun on a 26" varmit contour CBI...

If the above is correct;

1) how does the barell look and fit the HS stock with the bull barrel channel?? Where u happy with it? Do u have any pics?

2) what did ur rig weigh after u got it done?

I am contemplating doing the exact same thing...just wanted to get ur thoughts.

Thanks

calling4life

If the CBI is a button rifled barrel and chambered, I would not flute it, cut rifled, you're OK.

Texasshooter36

No i sold that gun to a buddy. I built this gun off a Model 12 stainless action and it is in a HS stock same as LRP but green with black web. Was originally built in 260rem with 28" full bull criterion but was way too heavy for anything but bench shooting.