Thread: Norwegian 260 Rem long time project

abear86

Norwegian 260 Rem long time project

Hi!
    I'm a Norwegian and new to this forum. I've tried to make a few searches without any hits, so I start a new thread with my first post.

I own a Savage 16 weather warrior left handed 308, new accu-trigger version with blind box. Since my new big game rifle (a Swedish Varberger action, Lone Wolf kevlar stock, LW 35 Whelen barrel...), the Savage will be more of a dustcollector if it remains in its current configuration, so an extreme makeover is needed! Then hopefully I'll have a longrange target slash varmint rifle when the weather become warm again...

My first thought was to start ordering new parts here and there as whenever my income felt to handle it (I'm a student...), but then that plan first got ruined by finding "Sharp Shooter Supply". This store had everything I needed, both wood and metal, but sadly enough he's not able to ship barrels outside of the United States, which brings me back to square one.

I've glass-bedded the factory stock, built a cheeckpiece, and stiffened up the forearm by bedding in an aluminum rail (actually for hanging curtains...). The scope is a Docter classic 2.5-10x48 (German 4), which is works great for hunting, but will eventually be changed in favour for a mil-dot scope with external adjustment knobs. Both of these will do for starters, so I plan to start with the metalwork.

The plan i to get a prefit barrel in 260 Rem, and a new precise cut recoil lug. Same boltface as I have, good v-max capability and good enough to 1000 meters (when the rifle is finished). There aren't any gunsmiths here in Norway, at least that I know of, that has any experience truing Savage actions. Is this really necessary?

That brings me to the greatest question : do you know any dealers that can export a match grade barrel, hopefully prethreaded and chambered, at a decent price?? Most can ship, but If they don't have the paperwork in order, the cost of the papermill will be about the same as the barrel itself...

Then a new stock, hopefully a detachable box conversion and new trigger will come a bit later... And of course new optics and mounts.

358Hammer

Re: Norwegian 260 Rem project. Who ships barrels?

The simplest way to answer your question is e-mail the different barrel makers and ask if they renewed their export license. McGowen use to have an export license but the new regs may have had an effect on who is exporting gun related stuff now.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the Forum.

Neal

abear86

If the packege value is kept below $100 pretty much everything can be exported... But barrels aren't that cheap ;-)

GSIceland

What about local gunstores in Norway? Here in Iceland most hunting stores will order a barrel for their customers. I have seen a lot of Shilen barrels here.

Talked to the local Savage supplier a few days ago and he said that I could order almost everything through them (was asking him about a Target action).

Basic Member

Lothar Walther makes pre-fit barrels in 260 Rem. Aren't those barrels available in Germany?

abear86

Savage aren't that well established here in Norway, probably a few that can get a barrel for me, but the prices are extremly high.
    LW might be an option...

curiousaussie

I have no problem ordering barrels directly from Shilen for Australia as long as I get the correct import permit from the Australian firearms registry.

Speak directly to Jennifer at Shilen. She is very helpful. Phone number - (Norwegian dial out code)-1-972-875-5318.

Google Texas time then ring between 9am and 4.30pm weekdays.

You won't be disappointed. I have 2 barrels already and a third on the way.

Cheers,

Matt

JCalhoun

Contact Border in Scotland. Some of the best barrels made.

Afy

Importing barrels into the EU is very painful. Tons of paperwork required.
    However you can get LW prefit barrels quite easily, from france or Germany. From France contact Bruno Put at Armeca.fr(LW and Border), for Krieger barrels contact FMR at unique-fmr.com.
    I have a LW .260 barrel on one of my guns, that shoots bug holes.
    Border from the UK will not ship directly. I know because I tried to get one.

abear86

Norway aren't a member of the European Union, so that would not be a problem. The only difference between ordering form outside of Norway, is that I have to mark the application with import, before I send it to the police for handling, and that customs have to fill in the last slots, and not a dealer.

Thanks for many good tips, I'll start looking into them, and hopefully be back with an update later this winter!!

JCalhoun

Yes, please keep us updated. I like to see Savage projects from outside North America. :)

abear86

Re: Norwegian 260 Rem long time project

I've sent a mail to Lothar Walter. They don't have the prefit savage-barrels on their German pages, but I can't see any reasons why they shouldn't be able to deliver at decent prices in Europe aswell.

Tonight I came upon the PCC-custom stock and my inside "Bob the Builder" started to get more eager than the part of me trying to read for my next exam coming up this tuesday...
    My brother is quite capable working with aluminum, and equipment and metal are awalible at "no-cost". I'll start drawing (hopefully after the exam....) and will probably end ut with looks about the same as the PCC stock.

What sort of magazines would be best for a project like this? AICS will probably be best awalible here in Norway, amog the common used types.
    Who makes bottom metal for these? I could try to make something myself, but I'll anyway need somwthing to take masures from.