Thread: New lighter barrel for 6.5 cm LRP??

crowe284

New lighter barrel for 6.5 cm LRP??

Today I purchased the 6.5 creedmoor LRP. The gun already has everything that I wanted, target action, target trigger, HS stock with dbm....but I want to loose some weight by spinning off the 1" bull the gun comes with and spinning on a lighter 26" tube.

Savage lists the gun at 11 lbs.... My goal is to get it down to 9-9.5 (bare gun). I have been doing a little guesstimating on the components that make up the gun to get an idea of a barrel weight that would meet my goals. Here is how I have it broken down, correct me if I'm off:

Action with trigger, bolt, recoil lug and nut -2.5 lbs
    HS stock- 3 lbs
    Factory 1" bull- 5.5 lbs
    11 lbs total

If my estimates are close, I could take off the 1" bull and sell it and spin on a 3.5 to 4 lb barell to get the gun down to 9-9.5 lbs.

If u guys were doing the same, which barrel maker and contour would u install to meet this goal and to also have the barell look like it belongs in the stock because surely the stock has a pretty wide channel to have fit the factory bull in.

I have read a lot of good stuff on this site about the criterion barrels and I see that they make a varmit contour that finishes at .800 and weighs about 4 lbs which might put the gun at around 9.5 or if fluted maybe around 9??? What about the light varmit contour that CBI has?? Would this barell look goofy in the HS stock? It weighs in at 3.5 lbs...I just don't know how wide the barrel channel is on the LRP hs stock and what would look okay and what wouldent....Anyone else done this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Crowe

northlander

Re: New lighter barrel for 6.5 cm LRP??

Crowe,
    I have been following your original thread before you purchased the LRP. Criterion does offer both the Varmint and the Lite Varmint Barrels as you have already mentioned. The Lite Varmint may be just a little too small with the Bull Barrel channel on the H-S stock. The Varmint Barrel will give you a smaller but not 100% out of place barrel option. Here are some additional options:
    1. Fluting - should save around 3 - 4 oz.
    2. 24" finished length - will save around 1/3 lb. (5.3 oz.) This will still offer good velocities for hunting or tactical situations. The 24" barrel will be just a touch more rigid. The 24" barrel will appear heavier and may look better suited for filling the larger barrel channel.
    3. I have a few of the McMillan Black Matte Stippled DBM Stocks. These will have the Varmint/Tactical barrel channel. With one of these you can now go to the CBI Lite Varmint contour and not have the "Too large Barrel Channel" issue to deal with. I weighed both the H-S and the McMillan stocks. The McMillan weighs about 1/2 lb. more but you can save a full pound going with the Lite Varmint CBI Barrel.

Total package savings - 3.5 oz., 5.3 oz. and 8 oz. Your total weight savings should be around 1 + lb.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member

I can attest to the criterion I bought one about 2 months ago in 6.5cm its a tack driver no doubt about it shoots in the .2s off a bipod. And at 1st i thought it was gonna be hard to clean lots of blue patches for the 1st 30 rounds took if back out and put 50 rounds through it yesterday i cant even get the slightest hint of copper out of it!!! Mines a 28in full bull though on a 12bvss weighs in @ 12.5 fully equipt its heavy but i dont mind the weight i dont have to carry it far as i dont have to get close to game range em dial dead criterion makes an awesome barrel at an unbeatable price for what u get. Im sure the lighter barrels will perform just as well though. Good luck let us know how it turns out!

crowe284

Jim, Thanks for the information...I will have to decide exactly what I want to do.......I want to keep the stock that is on the gun to save money and it's a dang good one to start with.... I would imagine those mcmillans that you have would cost a pretty penny in order to get into the light varmit contour... I don't think I want to spend 140.00 bucks for fluting to remove only 3-5 ozs...more of a cosmetic prefernce at that cost...

Is the math I have in my post above correct for the weight of the individual components that makes up the stock LRP?? The reason I ask is because savy22br says that his 12bvss rig fully equipped weighs in at 12.5 lbs and that's with the 28" full bull that shows to weigh 6 lbs on the criterion website....

The savage website shows the 12bvss to weigh 10 lbs from the factory to start with...just a pound less than the LRP...I'm just guessing here again, but say the barrel on the 12bvss weighs around 4.5 lbs, that would mean that the rest of the gun would weigh around 5.5 lbs, add back the 6 lb bull he has on it and ur back to 11.5, I always figure 2 to 2.5 lbs for base, rings and glass...depending on what u put on the gun, which brings us up to 13.5 to 14 lbs???? My guesstimations are obviously wrong because I have no reason to believe that savy22br's 12bvss with 28" full bull, fully equipped dosent weigh what he says it does which is 12.5 lbs..

I understand that the target action on the LRP is probably going to weigh more than the action on the 12bvss but that is really irrelevant...the fact of the matter is that the weight difference between the two factory guns is one lb.... and the only thing that we are talking about here is removing factory barrel and replacing with aftermarket barrel...all other variables or components remain constant..just wanted to thow that in there so somone dosent hammer me about the weight difference of the individual components between the LRP and the 12bvss

Jim, I am sure you have shipped a lot of these components...do you or anyone else know the exact weight of:

-LRP action complete with trigger, bolt, lug and nut
    -The HS stock that comes on the LRP
    -The fluted bull that comes on the LRP

I guess all I would really need to know is exactly how much the fluted factory bull that comes on the LRP weighs and then compare that to what CBI has the 26" unfluted varmit contour barrel listed at, which is 4.5 lbs....do the math and wallaah, I would have my weight savings.

I'm just trying to figure out what the gun will really weigh if I take the factory fluted bull off the LRP and replace it with a 26" CBI barrel in the varmit contour, un-fluted, which shows to weigh 4.5 lbs on the CBI website.

Like I said, my estimations have to be wrong if a man can get a gun that only weighs 1 lb less from the factory to come in at 12.5 lbs fully equipped after spinning on a 28" full bull...

Thanks,
    -Crowe

crowe284

Jim, it shows you have this barrel for sale...

26" - 6.5 Creedmoor - Large Shank - Bull - Fluted - (8 Twist) - Matte Black - (LRP Barrel) - $275.00

Any way you could weigh it for me and let me know...you'll probably gain another customer!! ;D

Thanks,

-Crowe

crowe284

Does anyone know the weight of this barrel......

26" - 6.5 Creedmoor - Large Shank - Bull - Fluted - (8 Twist) - Matte Black - (LRP Barrel) - $275.00

northlander

Crowe284,
    I took one of the 26" - L/S - Bull - 6.5 CM Barrels out of stock and weighed it. I actually weighed it three times to verify - 5 1/2 lb + a few ounces. If you went to a Varmint 4 1/2 lb. or a Lite Varmint 3 1/2 lb. you will save weight.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

crowe284

Thanks a bunch Jim...I'll be talking to you sometime in the near future...

Best regards,

Crowe284

Basic Member

I just weighed my bvss again mind you on bathroom scales 13.5 1st time i weighed it 14 the second but thats a bathroom scales. It is heavy i was walking this weekend through a hay field and my nylon sling broke im actually considering something lighter now heavy can be a pain in fields where theres lots of hills that involves walking to see whats over the next!