Thread: It's official, the 220F kills deer dead.

It's official, the 220F kills deer dead.

So Thursday afternoon I decided to load up the car and head down to do some deer hunting. I wasn't real motivated to go due to the weather, but I figured what the heck. Boy am I glad I did!

Thursday afternoon was a total bust as the weather was miserable and no one (and I mean NO ONE) else was out hunting. I didn't hear a single shot from the neighboring sections, not a one.

This morning I got up bright and early hoping to catch one heading back to their bedding area. As luck would have it though, it seems like everyone decided to take Friday off of work to go hunting as shots were soon ringing out of the river bottom to the south at regular intervals. This is always beneficial to me as they push all the deer up into my section.

Given the activity in the river bottom I decided to change my game plan a little and post up on the south side of the woods near where a fence row comes in. I wasn't there maybe 15-20 minutes when I saw a group of five deer crossing the road and heading my way. A quick look through the binoculars showed one was a buck, a really nice buck!

Knowing they might jump the fence at some point, I worked myself into a position down the fence row where I could shoot to either side of it as they slowly made their way towards me. It seemed like it was taking an eternity for them to get into my 150 yard comfort range as I continually checked them with my range finder. 300 yards, 275 yards, 250 yards....COME ON! (As most of you know, patience isn't one of my virtues. LOL)

Eventually the five of them make it within range, but now the buck's vitals are obscured as he's walking directly behind a doe. I have him lined up in my scope, safety off, just waiting for him to slip up and come out from behind his cover. In the meantime my heart is racing and my eyes are fixated on his rack as I've never had a buck this nice in my sights before. A nice wide 10-point with great symmetry and long G2's and G3's. Definitely one of the nicest racks I've seen in person on a live free-ranging deer.

At this point they're within 100 yards of me and I'm starting to fear I'm not going to get a clear shot on the buck before they slip into the woods. This can't be happening...not now, not with this beautiful buck!

Finally, just at the edge of the woods the buck slipped up. As the does slipped into the woods the buck paused to check his back trail and that was my chance. He stood there in majestic glory at about 115 yards and offered me a perfect broadside shot as he stared right in my direction. I steadied up, took a deep breath, said a prayer or two and gently squeezed the trigger. Boom! Whap! YES!

The shot looked like it hit a little high, but it was still a good solid hit in the vitals. The buck jumped and made a mad dash into the woods, but he only managed to go about 15-20 yards before he came crashing down.

Needless to say, this one's getting mounted! B&C green score came out to be 150 7/8". Unfortunately I forgot to grab my digital camera when I left the house the day before so I was limited to the so-so camera in my cell phone. And naturally, in the excitement I totally forgot (as usual) to get the obligatory "trophy" shot of me with the buck and rifle. Will have to post some of the mount when I get it back from the taxidermist.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Re: It's official, the 220F kills deer dead.

I have some pills to make that swelling go down! ;D
    Nice Buck....I think it's the one that I missed a coupla years ago.
    You could have at least staged some pictures....that one is good enough to post on Savages website.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Yeah, hindsight is always 20-20. At the time though I was too ramped up with adrenalin to think that clearly. ::)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

hogwackr

Thats a 'bute Jim! Congrats.

Really nice!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

CJ in WY

Nice deer!!
    Was wondering why you had to have them so close for the 220 Swift but upon rereading that a good shot for a slug!!

358Hammer

Very nice and thankyou for sharing.

Very pretty autumn day as well.

Neal

Excellent buck Jim. Heck of a rack! thats one to be proud of for sure.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~