Thread: Fluted Barrel for Savage 10FP?

Ammo08

Fluted Barrel for Savage 10FP?

I want a fluted 308 barrel for my 10FP. I'm thinking that a 22 inch barrel would be about ideal to take some weight off the rifle and not hurt the ballistics.

Honestly, there are so many choices out there I'm confused. I have around $350.00 to play with right now. Any ideas?

Basic Member

Re: Fluted Barrel for Savage 10FP?

I would see Jim at Northlander on here and probably go with a Mcgowen.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

catfish

I dont like noise but im a hunter if go 26-28" heavy sporter or light varmint. Id go with a tight neck, shillen lists a 332 and a 340. I dont know which is tight no turn prob 340. and Id probably go 1 in 9 twist or 10, i prefer to over twist a bullet espically if im shooting it slow. Did you see the article on the 284 shehane??? ;Dhttp://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/05/284-shehane-284-improved-for-long-range/.
    Ive never been one for slow rounds, 284 based rounds are a darn good compromise all the way around.

northlander

Thanks for the recommendation Sniper. Actually, Criterion is offering Fluted Barrels as well. So far they have been everything that their unfluted barrels have been accuracy wise. If I can be of assistance just let me know - 763/682-4296.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Toyoda

I got my varmint contour fluted, 8 flutes. Very pretty. I will try and get some pics but don't hold your breath, have a 9 week old at home now (but he already has his first rifle).

DougMH

Quote Originally Posted by Ammo08
    I want a fluted 308 barrel for my 10FP. I'm thinking that a 22 inch barrel would be about ideal to take some weight off the rifle and not hurt the ballistics.

Honestly, there are so many choices out there I'm confused. I have around $350.00 to play with right now. Any ideas?
    I could sell you a 30" fluted Lilja for $400.00? (never had a round through it). I bought it for my 10 FP trying to turn it into a target rifle. While I was waiting for the Lilja, I bought a Criterion and it worked well enough that I didn't replace it. I then had a custom rifle made based on the Savage 12 Target Action. I put the original barrel back on my 10 FP and turned it into a hunting rifle.

You or anyone interested send me a PM.