Thread: Hi... I'm Frank & I'm also an Edge Addict......

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Hi... I'm Frank & I'm also an Edge Addict......

Well, it's official. As of 12:48 this afternoon, I bought the 25.06 Edge I mentioned a few days ago. The Pawn shop queen I was talking about buying..... I was feeling a little depressed so, the best medication is to buy something. So I did.

Anyway, Specss for you to peruse & assist me with since I am limited on info. It cetainly seems like an econo-rifle. Right down to the Flimso 500 bipod.

Black tupperware stock
    3 - 9x 40 Bushnell scope. Nice clear glass but, clearly a cheap scope. Cheaper than any Banner I've ever looked at.
    Black matte finish
    Excellent barrel. no copper deposit.
    Originally I thought it was beat. Upon further examination & taking it apart, I find it's filthy on the top, spotless down below.
    The bolt & chamber area are way too clean to have been fired much. No wear marks where you'd expect to see them.
    Trigger has a 318lb. pull. I'll need to figure out how to adjust that.
    Bipod is like nothing I've ever seen. It attaches to the place where I'd expect to see a strap swivel. Instead, there's a few pounds of metal resembling a weaver base or maybe even picatinny. The bipod holder part has a big 'ol screw on collar that pulls it all together. No doubt one of the first things to go before I get hurt or something.....

Aside from the less than spectacular quality, I like it. I believe I can do a little magic & tighten up the wobble in the fore end. A few aluminum rods set in epoxy & proper placement should get it.

I really need to learn how to post some photos now. I'm going to need them more than ever.
    Just the same, the really, really, REALLY BIG question is..... DOes it stay as a 25.06 OOORRRrrrrrrr... Since I have a very nice .243 barrel & brass & bullets & powder & dies kit &...... you get the point. I've always wanted a 25-05. Now I got one and may need to change it.

From what I have read here at Savage (Addiction Central) Shooters, Barrels can be interchanged . The bolt is much shorter than a .270 bolt. I don't suppose it's a short action?....

ENough BS for now. I'm going back to the "Armory" to continue taking things apart. I'll be back.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

thomae

Re: Hi... I'm Frank & I'm also an Edge Addict......

The Edge action and bolt length are the same for long and short calibers. Savage simply puts in a different magazine and different trigger guard/bottom metal plastic assembly (longer or shorter) depending on the length of the magazine. Swap out the barrel, magazine, and triggerguard assembly and you ought to be able to shoot either caliber.

Basic Member

Ok.... As I was saying, I called Savage & found out it was built in July of 2011. As I look thoroughly around the action, bolt head, chamber & so on, I'm finding things that tell me it may not have been fired very much at all.
    No brass residue on the extractor. No scratches on the cocking pin, action where the bolt rides, bolt head.... anywhere.

Has anyone come up with a decent bipod? Savage tells me the "Flimso 500" that's on it is not factory. As I took it apart, I can believe anyone would blaspheme like that & put such a second rate piece of scrap metal where the bipod would go.

As far an if it's LA or SA..... It's the same length & almost the same bolt spacing as my LA rifles.

Just the same.... I'm gonna run to Walmart & buy a box or 17 of 25-06 ammo. I gotta shoot it now or I won't be able to sleep tonight.
    (worse than the grandkids, I tell ya.... ::))

ANyone with any words of wisdom, encouragement, threats, innuendo, anything.... Feel free to holler out. I know very little about this model except now I own one. I can feel the "high" wearing off..... need a new fix. Gotta get some ammo.....

Frank "The Edgeddict" in Fla....

Basic Member

Thomae - You just reminded me. It has a DBM that falls out the bottom when you push the button thingie I just learned about.

Also, and this is real important, do not push on the shiny cast aluminum piece that the trigger is assembled on. When you push on it toward the action, the pin, you know, the pin with no keeper to hold it in place, falls out. Seeing the trigger assembly held together the way it is AND the pins are kept in place by the stock is really economical.

I can see I'm going to have to get used to this one.

Gotta go to get ammo.....

Later

Frank in Fla

thomae

You have probably already read these, but in case anyone else is following your adventures...
    Here are some threads about improving the axis/edge trigger:
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36088.0.html
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,45016.0.html
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,45707.0.html
    If you need some shims, a set of feeler gauges work well and are not too expensive. You simply have to cut, drill, and then smooth out the rough edges.
    PM me if you want some .005 shim stock. I have some extra I can send you.

Hi...I'm Mike and so am I. I don't even have a LH one yet. It's not perfect, but honestly I've never liked my regular actions as much as the Edge/Axis, especially the simplicity.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Basic Member

thomae - you're a gentleman & scholar. I'm gonna dance at your wedding & name my next kid after you. Heck, I may even name a section of my garden after you.
    I kinda sorta already saw some of that. You just reminded me of it.

Mike - Welcome to Savage Addiction Central. I have to agree with you on the simplicity. But you do have to admit.... it takes a little getting used to.

By the way, I did manage to figure out how to post a bunch of pics on the bucket. For my next feat, I'll try to figure out how to get them here. You need to see this bipod. I've never seen anything like it. After I unscrewed a bunch of collars, brackets & adapters, I found a strap swivel.... still attached to the stock.

And... speaking of stock, until I can come up with a new or modified stock, the factory wiggler stock is getting my special reinforcement job. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    I have a bunch of paperwork to do tonight, in between a little reloading & stock repair. I really hate it when work interferes with my shooting and gun stuff

One last tid bit of info.... I only paid $275 for the 25-06 Edge. I believe he did me righteous. Especially after I reminded the guy about all the guns I bought from him And my son And my father And I sent a few friends there too. I'm happy with it.
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member

That bipod your describing sounds like one I have made by UTG. I don't have any great Harris or Atlas' to compare it too, so it seem sto work fine for me. But the little picattiny thing with the wheel that spins over it on the stud sounds like how mine attaches to the stock. Anyway, hope your Edge shoots bugholes.

Basic Member

Well, I never did find any 25-06 factory ammo. So, After setting 2 aluminum rods in the fore end (drilled into the recoil block & set in epoxy) and I set a 8 inch long piece of 1/8 x 1" wide steel in the bottom of the stock, also set in epoxy, the stock is a whole lot stiffer. Next project - bedding but, not before shooting the ammo I made.
    I was able to find a bag of Win brass & a box of Nosler 85gr BT's. I'll be using H4831 for the first round. Sometime between now & tomorrow before I shoot it, I really need to locate a new bipod. The bipod on it reminds me of somebody's mistake. Much too wobbly.

Ya know, the edge seems to be one of those rifles that grows on you. I wasn't too impressed when I first got it home but, now I really have grown to like it. Oh and, lastly - loosening the trigger pull made a world of difference. Maybe I was used to my other rifles but the factory set trigger was very tight. After removing 3 coils from the spring, it's much easier. I don't believe it'll need to be shimmed as there's not any side play at all.

Thanks for all the info y'all sent. If anyone knows of a particular bullet these rifles shoot well, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

Frank in Fla