Thread: MyWeigh GemPro 250 Precision Scale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DougMH

MyWeigh GemPro 250 Precision Scale

You may have seen the article/review on Accurate Shooter...

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-scale-review/

... so what follows is a 2nd party confirmation of what's contained in that article. I believe it to be every bit as good as the Denver Instruments/Sartorius/AccuLab 123.

I have no affiliation with MyWeigh and I actually own a D.I. MXX-123 ($300+). I recently purchased a MyWeigh GemPro 250 ($160). I've now done extensive testing with both and if I had to give up one of them, it would be the D.I. MXX-123.

They're both accurate to .02 grains (that's about 1 kernel of Varget) and both, in all my tests compared exactly the same or within +/- .02 grains of each other whether it's weight sorting cases, bullets or powder. So why would I go with the GemPro?

1) Cost obviously (half what the AccuLab/Sartorius/Denver Instruments 123 costs)
    2) Consistency
    3) Workbench footprint (about half the width and length of the MXX-123)
    4) Lifetime warranty

When I'm loading 100 rounds using the D.I., invariably, there will be 5 or 6 times that it does not go back to 0 after a dump. Usually this variance is small, fluctuating between .02-.04 grains, but sometimes as high as .08-.10. This results in a re-zero and do over on the last case. Doing 100 rounds is tedious enough without having a lot of do overs. With the GemPro, I've loaded 100 cases on two occasions and 50 cases on another. In those 250 rounds, I only had to re-zero on two occasions. In both those occasions, it settled on .02 rather than .00.

The other downside to the MXX-123 is how long it takes to stablize if it's ever completely unplugged. If you have one you've undoubtedly experienced this. You plug it in, turn it on and over about 30-45 minutes it will climb from its initial reading by up to 3 or 4 grains (not .00 grains or .0 grains but full grains). If you leave it plugged in, though turned off, the warm up time is significantly less, but still not zero. I turn my GemPro on and let it stand for 30 minutes, but this is just for my piece of mind. I don't think 30 minutes is actually required... maybe more like 5.

The only downside to the GemPro (which I've turned into a positive) is that it's re-calculation rate seems slower than the D.I. Say your initial dump is 43.00 grains and your target is 44.00 grains. If you trickle 5 kernels of Varget, it can be a couple of seconds before the digital readout reacts. What I do now is take my initial reading, trickle what I think I need to get to my target, then pick up the pan, shake it to even out the powder distribution and set it back on the GemPro. When I do this, the little "gr" flashes for a second then is steady. This usually gets me right on or to within a powder kernel either way. I make that final add/subtract and dump... with confidence. I dump and when I replace the empty pan... 0.00 grains. It's a beautiful thing.

I'll hang on to my MXX-123 as a backup but I'll use the GemPro primarily... until I can afford a Sartorius GD305. BTW, did you see 4) above? Lifetime warranty.

Re: MyWeigh GemPro 250 Precision Scale

I couldn't agree more. After a fair amount of money and a lot of frustration I purchased a MyWeigh 250.
    It is supurb! I set my primed and cleaned case on the scale and tare it. Then I chagre the case and
    return to the scale. Next I dribble enough powder to reach my desired amount. This thing is
    extremely accurate. Suggest not using under neon,no air flow and use ac not the batteries.
    Good luck

gotcha

I've been interested in the Gempro since its evaluation @ 6BR.com.... Glad to hear you're having good luck w/ it ! Sorry to hear it being effected by stray static elec. Have either of you tried anti static spray in work area? How well did it work?..............

DougMH

Quote Originally Posted by carpetbroker
    I couldn't agree more. After a fair amount of money and a lot of frustration I purchased a MyWeigh 250.
    It is supurb! I set my primed and cleaned case on the scale and tare it. Then I chagre the case and
    return to the scale. Next I dribble enough powder to reach my desired amount. This thing is
    extremely accurate. Suggest not using under neon,no air flow and use ac not the batteries.
    Good luck
    Do you mean neon or flourescent lighting? I do use it under a double flourescent light (about 5 ft overhead) and have had no problems. I have almost no airflow in that part of the basement. I can say my breath moves the MXX-123. it does nothing to the GemPro. Since they both have the same sensitivity this is probably because, like I reported, the GemPro doesn't recalculates as frequently. I do use the AC adapter, not batteries.

Cover Dog

My GemPro stays turned on 24/7/365 and since writing the article in 6mmBR/AccurateShooter last summer, I have not had one problem with my scale. The scale is very light and I put the batteries in it just to give it more weight, but run it on A/C power. I use the scale in a reloading room that has 3 two-bulb flourescent overhead lights and have no interference problems. I also run a Bench Source annealer, Dillon vibrator/tumbler, cordless screw driver charging station (used for neck turning), a sonic cleaner and a Thumblers tumbler. I run in-line noise filters on both the GemPro and my Pact scale/dispenser. The article below shows the in-line noise filters.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...e-scale-drift/

Basic Member

I have the Gem Pro 500. I also like it a lot. Funny thing is it works much better with the Batteries than the AC adapter. it wants to wander on AC.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

gotcha

Coverdog, The info regarding the noise filters is heartening & well appreciated. However, the article mentions the filters are designed to eliminate specific types of interference. How many types of filters could someone try before hitting the one that solved their particular problem? Maybe I've misunderstood the the info. Could you clarify? Thanks, Dale

Cover Dog

All the filters in the article are magnetic filters. Just two halves that snap together. The larger openings are for 110v power cords and the smaller ones for a thin line on a power supply. If you are having problems with interference $3.00 at Radio Shack might just solve the problem.

I'm not an electricial engineer and don't play one on tv. Just a boarding kennel owner that has had good luck with the GemPro 250

gotcha

GOTCHA

riverat

i really like my Gempro 250,had a RCBS that pact scales made for them and got tired of sending it back for repair.

Jeff