Thread: 25.06 reloading info

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

25.06 reloading info

I just scored a pawn shop 25-06 Edge in super excellent condition. After a bunch of minor modifications, it's range ready.
    I bought some WIn. brass, Nosler 85gr BT's, Hornady 117gr SST's and a neck sizing die set.

ANyone reloading for one of these? If so, what does yours shoot best?

Thanks in advance - gotta hit the rack..... Long day

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Re: 25.06 reloading info

Hey Frank,
    I just got a 111 FNS .25/06 a couple of weeks ago. So far I have only tried IMR 4350 in mine with the 115 grain Ballistic Tip. I was on the verge of shooting my best 100 yard group so far this year with it. I was looking at a legitimate .5 or less and pushed the last shot out of the group enough to open it up to 1.1"

I don't have the data in front of me but it was RP brass, WLR primer and a max load of IMR 4350 according to the Nosler #5 manual. I plan to try H4831sc next, I probably won't bother with the slower burning stuff in this one given the 22" barrel.

I didn't have time enough to chronograph this load but I will in the near future, my rifle is rock stock, topped with a Minox ZA5 4-20, I haven't even torqued the action screws yet! I plan to stick with the heavier bullets in this one, 110 grain and up, I want to try the AccuBond and the Sierra Game King too. Good luck with yours and keep us posted, I'll let you know if I run across a real stand out.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

kslefty

RL19 for the 85gr and RL22 for the heavier bullets has been the best in both of my 25-06 rifles.

Basic Member

try some RL17 for anything up to 100gr. either variety of 4350 works well also as does 4831. R22 for the big stuff

Basic Member

Based on what you guys are saying, it appears I'm on the right track. All the powders you mention, I keep on hand and I planned on using. I started with H4831-sc for openers. I figured it as good a place as any to start.

Next will be the Hornady 117gr SST's - maybe with a little RL 19 or 4350.... I'll seem how the Noslers do first...

Everything I read indicates stay with slow burners and single base if possible.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try out the H4831 with new Win brass & 85gr Nosler BT's this afternoon..... If I can sneak away from work. So far - so good....

Thanks folks,

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

ur going backward on your powder. 4831 or 22 is gonna be better for the big stuff, while 17,19, or 4350 is gonna be better for the small stuff

Hi I find you get an extra 100fps when using RL17 over H4350, and with less signs of pressure.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member

rl17 is my go to powder

Basic Member

Keeki you're right.
    After looking at the sequence of useable powders, the weights / charges used for the heavier bullets, I need to go the other way. Unfortunatly, I ain't got no slower powders. H4831 is my slowest & it looks to be on the faster end for the 117's. I'll wait on those for when I get some 22 or equiv.Maybe even a can of one of the magnum powders listed.

Gotta go & batten down the farm. Looks like a big storm coming that may turn tropical. Even if it doesn't, it's good practice for later in the season.

Later y'all

Frank in Fla

Hi If you have some H4831 and some 117s HRN you will be fine, 52gr will put you just shy of 3000 FPS, and then you can creep up on the powder from there,

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member

with that shorter barrel the 4831 will probably be better

Basic Member

I would get me a can of rl-17 and use it for the small stuff and the big stuff. I think you would be surprised.

Basic Member

I've used 49 grains of H4350 and 115-117 grain bullets for years. My favorite bullet though is the Hornady 100 grain soft point. My 24 inch barreled Savage clocks about 3350 fps with the 100 grain bullet. For some reason my rifle just likes 100 grain bullets better.

1Shot

..53.1grs of RL-19 & nosler 100gr bt's is the cat's meow in my remmy...

Basic Member

go ahead and put the pie plate up and make me feel inadequate.lol

Team Savage

Frank hurry up & shot the axis
    this is almost as bad as watching soaps w/my ex wife

drybean

Basic Member

Hey Bean....
    I'm hurrying as fast as I can... The problem is the hurrier I go, the behinder I get

I decided against loading up any of the 117 SST's I got. I just gotta funny feeling about them. Can't explain it. ANyway, I loaded up a bunch more of the 85gr Nos BT's with 4350 this time. Since there's 100 bullets in a box, I may also mix up a batch of them with RL19 as well.

I really hope the weather holds up here. We got one of those storms off the coast that the weather forecasters have been WRONG about for the past 3 days.....

Got the Bushnell Elite sitting on top. I never got around to bedding it. Gotta save something to do for next week....

I'm pretty pleased with the way the stock came out. Nice & stiff. No noticeable flexing. Prior to stiffening it, it was kinda like as flex-o-matic stock and the bipod..... I still don't know what to think about that. I picked up a Walmart / Winchester cheapo that's 148% better.

I'm really looking forward to shooting this one. I set up a PhotoBucket thing but I haven't yet figured how to get the pics here to this site. I'll get it.... eventually.

Later y'all

Gotta finish up my project. I'd be finished already if it wasn't for work getting in the way. I think my "ol lady needs a second job so I can shoot more....... (Please don't tell her I said that.. :-X

Hi with the 85gr pills and H4350 you should be in range of 53gr and go up from there,
    and with they RL19 55gr and go up from there, but that's just me
    you will be in the 3400FPS with both these loads,it should get that varmints attention ;D

Tanks Dean

Basic Member

Hey Dean....
    I loaded everything in groups of 3 rounds each, starting 1gr above the minimum, in .5gr increments. If no joy, I go thru the 2nd half of the powder range. I find the best accuracy is, in most cases, right in the middle of the powder range - according to Lyman.

At least that's been the usual procedure for me. I may be wrong on this one...... We'll find out shortly.

See y'all later. I gotta go check on the job, remind everybody they work for me, they're overpaid, sloppy unprofessional & suck. That'll get them fired up. Friday is the only day I can get away with it.

I'm off to the range after that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ciao'

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

with 25-06 Ive always found that the hotter you load it the better they shoot. I've had 5 25-06s over the last 20+ years and every one I had was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by keeki
    with 25-06 Ive always found that the hotter you load it the better they shoot. I've had 5 25-06s over the last 20+ years and every one I had was like that.
    I have found that with any caliber I own, I read my rifle the riot act and say "you don't want to shoot strait then I'm going keep adding powder until you cry uncle and straiten out" ;D

Tanks Dean