Thread: Savage 1903, 1909 1912

samntex

Savage 1903, 1909 1912

Hello, I am new here..I am searching for other 22 cal Savage collectors to share info on these rifles..
    I have learned a good bit about these guns..But still have a long ways to go and many questions.

A little about me>>I collect, buy/sell, and completely re-store Vintage/Antique Savage and Winchester 22 rifles..I am reluctant sometimes to tell folks I restore a lot of these rifles..For the fact I recieve lip sevice that is unwarranted..Most rifles I restore are the ones that have lost a good bit of their collector value.What I do is actually preserve a great piece of American history..All my guns I collect and sell are Shooters..Not just wall hangers..Ok..enough about that...lol..

Before I start with my questions..Just wanted to see if I am in the right place here..
    Thanks, Sam

fivesomewhere

Re: Savage 1903, 1909 1912

Check out the picture post. There's a fellow that did a fine job of restoring a sentimental .22.

JCalhoun

Sam,

This is as good a place as any.

samntex

Ok, I'm back..Had some pc problems..I just acquired a Savage model 1903..It is sweet and very clean..Functions perfectly.As I said before looking for other Savage 22 collectors to share some info on these vintage 22 rifles.

Feel free to comment or correct me on the followoing info I have learned.

The 1903 was manufactured from 1903-1922.
    There is no such thing as a model 1906..There are 1903's with no patent date on the rifle made prior to 1906.What a lot of folks call the model 1906 is actually a model 1903 with the 1906 patent date on the barrel.
    The mag for this rifle has a patent date on it apr 28 1908 marked 22 S. L. or LR( I assume the patent date was applied for in 1903 and not approved till 1908?)
    I also have a Savage model 1912 with the same patent date on the magazine..( but the mag is marked 22 automatic LR only) For those looking for replacement mags on these rifles. The 1912 and the 1903 will interchange! ( I say this because I was told in the past they will not interchange)The 1912 was manufactured only from 1912-1916..
    I have heard of a Savage historian out there that you can pay for accurate info on some of these rifles..Anyone have the contact info on this??.
    Laterz, Sam

SlotcarTom
    Hi Gents - I was delighted to find this group. I've got a fairly basic question that I hope you can help me out with... I have an old 1903 takedown (44.xxx); it's pretty well tired out and looks to me like it sat in a cabin in the woods for years. Really bad pitting just about all over. But, it shoots just fine and the stock is nice and solid with just a few dings here and there. I'd like to know if it needs a specific magazine to fire .22 Short. I ordered two new magazines a few years ago, (the original was long gone) and they handle LR perfectly; I don't recall them being specifically mentioned or intended for LR - I just assumed the clip would accommodate short, long, and long rifle. I have only found a few pictures of original vintage clips to use for reference. I know that original clips had .22 s, L, and LR stamped on the side, so my assumption is they'd handle all three. I want to say one of these pictures however showed a clip labelled as "short" and it had three stamped grooves instead of the two I see most often. And, my aftermarket clips have just the two grooves. Thanks very much!

There was a rare variation of the model 1903 that shot just shorts, finding a mag stamped for just shorts would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Most 1903 shot like you said, LR, long and shorts all out of the same mag.

The ones that shot only 22 shorts were real early guns made in the first year of production, but they made them both as well. I have a 1903 with a serial number of 40 on it and it shoots all three sizes.
    Savage- "never say never".

SlotcarTom
    Great! Thanks very much for the info Mad Dog! Huge help!