Thread: Pre 66 barrel, bolt swap. can i switch pre 66 bolt face to modern bolt face?

Twodogs10mm

Pre 66 barrel, bolt swap. can i switch pre 66 bolt face to modern bolt face?

I have a pre-66 110 7mm rem mag. I ordered a new 26" Criterion light varmint barrel for it.

I didn't know the pre-66 chamber is recessed and the bolt face is longer. :-[

My question is, can I put a new modern style bolt face on my old bolt and still work in the old action with the new barrel? I read somewhere that the new receivers have a grove machined in them that the pre 66 don't is this true?

Thanks Doug.

Re: Pre 66 barrel, bolt swap. can i switch pre 66 bolt face to modern bolt face?

the Cross Pin is also at 90 degree from the new pins so you would have to find a older new style.

Not sure if that would add to the problem of finding parts.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Bigdaddy10guns

Re: Pre 66 barrel, bolt swap. can i switch pre 66 bolt face to modern bolt face?

I have a 110L chambered 30-06 that the owner is wanting to change to a .308. he brought me a barrel off of a mod 10. The barrel will thread to the action but naturally it does not have the recess for the old style bolt. any information on this. gun 1958 mfg

thanks

jeffreyC

Would a new bolt body and new bolt head work ?

Bigdaddy10guns

Anyone out there can answer this question. Ask the local gunsmith and he could not answer.

MNbogboy

Yes, switch the bolt head with a new bolt body, also the cross pin & firing pin....But a new complete bolt is about $100 and some change from Midway.....The old action works fine with the new style bolt parts....The trigger on the pre 66 is very adjustable for most hunting use also...If you want to change the trigger out you will need all the trigger & safety parts from a post 66 model...Then maybe some minor fitting to install the aftermarket trigger....
    Hope this helps.
    randy

MNbogboy

As far as the OP asked, the groove missing in the receiver is for the baffle....The tab on the baffle must be ground off or the old style baffle must be used.

Twodogs10mm

Thanks Guys, I bought a new donor rifle 111 7mm rm with accutrigger at walmart . I will use this action for my new criterion barrel and boyds thumbhole varmint stock :) but I also will check out new bolt at midway. because I'm going to put the brand new barrel off the donor rifle on my pre-66. I'm not sure which way to go yet new bolt or get the barrel chamber recessed like the pre-66 looks like cost is about the same?