Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best bang for the buck target/varmint scope

Basic Member

best bang for the buck target/varmint scope

Looking for scope ideas on a .223 target/varmint rifle. Looking to shoot informal local comps and be able to take it out for pds at 300-400 yards. Obviously don't need a br set-up, would prefer something variable in the 18-24 max power range. Any and all ideas welcome, Matt.

Dinosdeuce

Re: best bang for the buck target/varmint scope

you didn't mention your price range. I would recommend a Nikon Monarch 4x16 ( around $440) with the plex reticle. I would stay away from a BDC reticle. they are not really calibrated. You may get lucky though. Learn your drop so you can dial in the drop at the ranges you mentioned. The turrets are finger turn. I was always a Leupold VXIII fan (own 4) , but I bought a Monarch this year and I am very impressed with the optics. From what I have read Vortex would also work for your setup.

Good luck with your decision.

Team Savage

I would take a look at the Sightron SII Big Sky series of scopes. Optics, tracking system, climate control lens coatings and lifetime replacement warranty are comparible to scopes costing a lot more. Whittaker Guns, Owensboro KY has the best prices I've found. Also, Sightron currently offering $50 mail-in rebate.

oleredhead

Take a gander at the new Mueller 8x32 VT. It is a 30mm scope so you may have to buy rings to fit. Good write-up over on RFC, $230 from Mizzou Mule delivered. Put mine on a Ruger VT and love it.

zxd9

I've got the Super Sniper 10x42 Mil-Dot and am real happy with it. It has a fast focus eye piece and target knobs for windage and elevation. The thing I like is the focus is calibrated and you can use it for rough distance estimating.

http://www.supersniper.com/

Sold at: http://swfa.com/default.aspx

Basic Member

Used Buckmaster 6-18x side focus

Basic Member

Anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Elite series? I've heard good things about the Sightirons as well. Hadn't really thought about the Nikons, are they really comparable to the Leopolds?

Team Savage

Look at a Meuller

chestsprings

I have two elite 4200's on 223's.

one a 6 X 24, & a 8 X 32, neither side focus.

to my eyes they are real sharp, & clear. On the 6 X 24 , about two yrs. ago, I had Bushnell install mil-dots. one month ago, I sent the 8 X 32 to them to get mil-dots in it. sent them a copy of the page on their web site showing the different options, & asking for the mil-dot. enclosed the $55.00 as they specified.

yesterday I got the scope back, no mil-dot installation, with a note they stopped the "custom" installations on 1-1-09. also a note my $55.00 will be returned to me.

the web site still shows they do "custom" reticule changes, as the mil-dot.

guess there is a communication problem between the "custom" shop, & whom ever controls their web site, since they stopped this service on 1-1-09.

If I was going to buy a new scope, I would seriously look at the Sightron's. the ones I looked thru ( the SII) are really sharp & clear. I image the SIII would be as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri
    Anyone have any experience with the Bushnell Elite series? I've heard good things about the Sightirons as well. Hadn't really thought about the Nikons, are they really comparable to the Leopolds?
    I've had a 3200 5-15x with the tactical turrets, I also have a 6500 4.5-30 mil dot.

Both are great scopes.

I'd also check out the Vortex offerings. Their glass is fantastic.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

RWO

I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 8x32 and like it very well for target shooting. I wanted a dot so I sent it to http://www.scopedot.com/index.html and had a 3/16 min. dot installed for $75. Turn around was 4 weeks and the job was perfectly done.

RWO

lwink

I've got a 4200 Tactical (6-24x50 side focus) and love it, but I'm saving up for a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 for my next build. These were my top two choices and went for the slightly higher magnification as I hope to be shooting some 600 - 800 yard targets with this gun. The next build will be a 400-600 yard .243 and I will definitely be getting the Viper.

Basic Member

You should also take a look at the Swift Premiers. Very good quality for the price. Bright, clear optics, and seem to be very durable too. Assembled in Korea but use American made glass and fully multicoated optics. I have a few and am very pleased with them.

Just got the Mueller from Windwalker. Like the scope a lot! http://www.windwalkeroutdoors.com/Sc...?idproduct=928

bpratl

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    Just got the Mueller from Windwalker. Like the scope a lot! http://www.windwalkeroutdoors.com/Sc...?idproduct=928
    I just received the same scope and I am planning to check it out today, if the weather cooperates with me.

Basic Member

I have a Mueller 4-16x 50mm AO on my Savage .223 12FV and really like it.

NIGHTFORCE ???
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Pete K.

I would also suggest a Nikon Monarch with fine cross hair and target dot for both intended uses. If you go to a 20X or higher the click adjustments are 1/8 MOA rather than 1/4 on the lower powered scopes. For 100 yard smaller targets in the 1" or 2" range you will find that around 16X or so should be fine so small varmints out further could use more than a 16X max scope. The 1/8" adjustments are nice on targets at the range also. Get enough magnification even if you don't always need it for varmints. You will need it for target shooting.

Pete K.

CJ in WY

Not as much power as some like but the 12X Leupold is a lot of scope for the $$. If your patient they can be bought used for $250-350. The fine Duplex with target knobs is the prefered model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    NIGHTFORCE ???
    For 300-400 yard shooting, I wouldn't rate the Nightforce very high on the bang for the buck scale. Many scopes will do fine at that range for much cheaper.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by CJ in WY
    Not as much power as some like but the 12X Leupold is a lot of scope for the $$. If your patient they can be bought used for $250-350. The fine Duplex with target knobs is the prefered model.
    Ditto here as well. Once in a great while an FX16x40 (fixed 16 power) with turrets will show up as well.

Also, not to be overlooked, the 6-18x40 VXII Leupolds with turrets are great scopes for the money.

Another often overlooked scoped - the 4-12x42 Pentax with the penta plex 2 reticle (multiple lines)....VERY good scope in the under 200 range.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    wbm,

May I ask you a question about the Mueller 8-32x44? How many MOA per turret turn? The reason for my asking is that I handled a different Mueller scope a little while ago, I think it was a 4-14x50 model, and it had 7.5 MOA per turn. I found that somewhat awkward. To me one full turn should correspond to a whole MOA number like 7 or 8 or 10, not a fraction. Anyway, I was wondering if the Mueller 8-32x44 is the same way.

Thanks a lot

Basic Member

Twenty-five years ago I would have stayed away from anything other than a major brand name like a Leupold.

Had a lot of bad experiences with cheap and even medium price scopes back then.

Nowadays there are lots of good, reliable scopes from lots of different folks.

If I was going to Africa, would still stick with Leupold or Nightforce.

But if this was going to be one of several scopes on a prairie dog hunt in Montana, the risk is much lower and the benefits of cheaper price are a better value.

Have had good luck with

Bushnell 4200 & 6500
    Leupold
    Mueller
    Nightforce
    Redfield
    Sightron
    Swift
    Weaver
    etc

Have recommended Sightron II and III to lots of friends and they're still friends.

JCalhoun

I read something about some of the lesser and even some better lines of scope that will not hold point of impact with medium and magnum cartridges. Apparently it's not noticible on hunting rifles but more so on precision rifles like BR rigs. The same article claimed that the Sightrons Big Sky series have the least trouble with POI shift.

On the other hand, Hammer told me that he really prefers ivory shotgun beads on his prarie dog rifles and even a center bead if he is shooting benchrest.

Basic Member

Ditto to what Hammer said. While I have not tried as many brands as he has, I have had good luck with some of the ones he mentioned.
    Swift
    Bushnell, not just the elites either, even down to the Banners, Trophies, and Legends
    Leupold
    Nikon as well.

I have a Bushnell Banner 6-24x40 with mil-dot reticle on a M70 in 300 win mag that shoots 3 shots in 1/2" with great regularity. It's not quite as bright as more expensive scopes but it shoots so good I hate to mess with it. I have really liked the new Swifts with the sur-lok mechanism lately especially for magnums. Just make your reticle adjustments, tighten the lock knob and it keeps the reticle from shifting under recoil, bumps, etc. So far for me it has worked as advertised, I have one on a 338 win mag and it has performed very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast