Thread: Coyote Pack???

Basic Member

Coyote Pack???

Alright, I LOVE coyote hunting! Usually i grab a call, bullets, and some binoculars. Im wanting to make a "pack" to just grab and go. Any suggestions on what to put in there besides bullets, a call, and binoculars? Thanks in advance
    They can run, but they'll only die tired.

Uncle Jack

Re: Coyote Pack???

Water, high energy food bars, aspirin, toilet paper, a compass, a folding knife, and a small digital camera.

uj

Basic Member

Thanks uj

Dogbone

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    Water, high energy food bars, aspirin, toilet paper, a compass, a folding knife, and a small digital camera.

uj
    Right on the money Uncle Jack! Cell phone, insect repellant, first aid kit.

Uncle Jack

Good additions, Dogbone. I believe that this kind of survival/comfort kit should be included in every hunter's basic equipment. Venturing off the pavement without this stuff just ain't wise. We probably should add some para cord and some kind of fire making, and maybe a whistle.

uj

skypilot

In addition, to the great items already mentioned, I carry a ghillie and a Nikon laser range finder.

Basic Member

Thanks for all the info guys! I've already started putting the mentioned items in. One thing i did remember though is toilet paper LOL don't go anywhere without that! And skypilot when you said ghillie do u mean like a ghillie suit?

Basic Member

Possibly shooting sticks, extra socks, sunscreen, and a snake bite kit depending we're you live. I always carry para cord and an emergency blanket, and a folding saw jic you need a splint.
    My pack: 2 pair of socks, lighter in my pocket, plenty of water, protein bars, emerg. Blanket, ammo, lens pen, toilet paper in 1gallon ziplock, google map of area, compass, folding saw, cell phone, boonie hat, sunscreen, cover sent, calls, 2 pair of gloves, rain suit top an bottom, and guille suit
    couple of savages

skypilot

Yes, a light weight full length poncho style. Here in Canada they get some pressure from farmers, huntind with dogs etc. so it helps with the bigger wide open farm land.

Basic Member

I live in NW colorado probably a good idea to have a snake bite kit.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot
    Yes, a light weight full length poncho style. Here in Canada they get some pressure from farmers, huntind with dogs etc. so it helps with the bigger wide open farm land.
    where would u find one of these for pretty cheap?

skypilot

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteslayer223
    Quote Originally Posted by skypilot
    Sorry, on my iphone, seems like I ordered from Arizona, maybe ghillie wharehouse? I have 4. Some are in the states and I have one I made decades ago.
    Seems like $ 114.00 is what I paid and shipped here to Canada.

where would u find one of these for pretty cheap?

slaroy

What about some sort of repair kit including a boresnake or other compact cleaning kit like an OTIS. I usually like to make sure I have at least a small bottle of rem oil along with a leatherman, camo duct tape, and some already mentioned paracord. When I cut a hunt short it is usually due to one of my aw sh** moments; dirt in my muzzle, scope out of whack, broken backpack strap, blown out boots, etc. If I hada dollar for every time I had to use para cord for bootlaces...

Basic Member

Thanks slaroy didnt think of a repair kit. so i take it i probably need a lot of paracprd ???

Dogbone

I think we're getting carried away. By the time we're done he's going to need porters to carry all that stuff.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone
    I think we're getting carried away. By the time we're done he's going to need porters to carry all that stuff.
    Ya Im kinda with u dogbone haha but if I'm gonna hike out there a ways I wanna be sure I'm prepared for any scenario but again I thank everybody who has given me any ideas

Grit #1

I carry a kitchen sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best regards,
    Grit

put n the dog on

ATV? screw hikin with all that stuff.

Basic Member

I have to agree with most of the above. But as we can also see from the above, our pack is growing to suitecase size as we speak. I have found as i get older that the pack doesn't have to hold a weeks worth of stuff, thats a different pack. I pack a small "day pack" with enough to keep going for about three days every time i get out of the truck.

While i hate cell phones it is one thing you should have simply because if it's on, someone knows where you are. (it's only on if i'm in trouble.) My day pack has at any time, t.p, (no t.p. is why loggers end up with short sleeve shirts) old boot laces, energy bars, water, small skinning knife, folding prunning saw, qt. bag of animal cookies, poncho, many types of fire starter in water proof bags, etc.

Of course where you live will tell you what all you need. And yep the pack changes depending on where i'm going. (both mountians and sage brush are about 30 minutes away.)

mutwagn

Depending on where you are in this old world, you may want to take some Benadryl in case of bee stings or insect bites that you are allergic to.
    Andy

weedlayer

Not necessarily a survival item but you could cut a few pieces of that 6 miles of paracord into 3-4 foot sections. Tie a hard loop in one end for your hand grip and a slip knot in the other end for the coyotes snout. Works great for long drags. Pack is a good idea to keep all your gear together.