Thread: barrel technology...all kinds

1jonzmith

barrel technology...all kinds

I found this interesting in that it deals with the methodology AND materials used. SAKO uses hammer forged barrels but they are only superior for "hunting" barrels and don 't win BR and long range competition. Now who among us knew that already?

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/bmart.htm

Good read....John

Gmac5

Re: barrel technology...all kinds

Remington,win and ruger started using hammer forged barrels all probably in last 15 to 20 yrs.the hammer forging machine is very expensive and beyond the reach of all but LARGE corps.
    That being said, some experimental hammer forged barrels have competed in older br matches.and won ,problem is induced stress ,which can be overcome and final interior finish.

1jonzmith

I wondered that exact thing about Rem and such mega-producers. It takes less than 3 minutes to make a hammer forged barrel and a button/cut barrel might take more than an hour. Some advantage there. So you answered my question.....they are using that very process. Begs the question: "Why does SAKO and CZ brag about their barrel making process, hammer forged, and tout their out-of-the-box-accuracy"?

Always more questions. There is a rule in science that every answer will yield at least two more questions. Sorta like "Murphy's law", I guess.

John

ellobo

Always more questions. There is a rule in science that every answer will yield at least two more questions. Sorta like "Murphy's law", I guess.

Murphy was an optomist.

El Lobo

]