Thread: Next question...who has used Kevin Rayhill for smithing?

Next question...who has used Kevin Rayhill for smithing?

Talked a little more to Robert Snyder and his Savage work is similar to what he does for Remingtons, so I'm not going to use him for my 110 action.

Sent Stockade an email and Kevin said his time/true job is $200 with a turnaround under 2 weeks; that's $75 more expensive than SSS but a LOT quicker.

I'm probably going to call/email SSS tomorrow to see how long their waiting list is and maybe get added to the bottom of it, but in the meantime I'm curious who has had Kevin work over their actions...especially if they've got a SSS t&t action to compare it to.

TechHunter

Re: Next question...who has used Kevin Rayhill for smithing?

Kevin built my Sav 11 using a McGowen barrel in 7-08, SSS trigger, glass bedded to one of his Mule Deer stocks. No action job, but the gun shoots Sierra 130s into .3 and that is with me pulling the trigger. It will probably do better with a more proficient shooter, but overall am really happy with the gun. My waiting time (about four years ago) was 12 weeks, if I remember correctly.

jeffreyC

Rumor has it that SSS underestimates their backlog and wait time greatly.

Some have said one month was more like six months.

Senderofan

I had Kevin T&T a Savage dual port target action for me...he also bedded the stock that he made for that project as well. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the work he did....really like the stock, PD/Tactical. Sad to say....I can't compare it to anything that Fred has done his magic on. The whole deal, for me, was based on build times at that particular time in my life. Kevin was able to get it done much quicker than Fred.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Basic Member

Kevin does great work, good guy to deal with, and fast. I have had zeo issues with his work

gotcha

He hasn't built a rifle for me but write up @ accurate shooter, gun of the week titled: Tennessee triple, Voldocs varminters. Rayhill smithed 20 BR which qualified owner for VHA 1000yd club. 2nd write up on 1st page of gun of the week.

Basic Member

I have had work done by Rayhill in the past. Work is great, but wait time is always quoted as "two-weeks." That "turn around time" has ranged from 14 weeks to 9 mounths (i.e., no barrels, back-logged, out hunting, blah, blah, blah).

That said, in this game, everything talkes more time than quoted.

If you think SSS will get back to you in less than six months (and thats just on the phone)....go for it.

I would/will use Rayhill again because his product is top-shelf. I just know that it will take alot more time than I am told on the phone.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish