Thread: Who loads for the .338 Lapua?

Samdweezel05

Who loads for the .338 Lapua?

Looking for suggestions on brass, bullets and powders. From what I read the Hornady or Lapua brass is really the only way to go.

Re: Who loads for the .338 Lapua?

Hi probably not the direction you want to go in, but if you want to have some fun and get some trigger time without throwing your shoulder out, this is a load that puts a smile on my face every time, 160 barnes with 95gr of rl17 that's good for 3600 fps it's they ultimate varmint load, I make those loads for my buddy in his 700p in 338 lapua, they only thing that out does that is a family member has a 338-378 weatherby that I load 110gr of rl17 and that sends those same barnes 160's down the pipe to a jaw dropping 3700+ fps.
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Samdweezel05

Loading down is fine with me. No need to launch 300gr bullets all the time. Thanks for the info.

HI just to add to that note a fellow reloader and 338 lapua shooter said to me, his go to "varmint" load for his armalite is 100gr of rl22 behined those 160 barnes and that sends them out the muzzel @ 3800 fps, I allmost S!@# Im going try that as soon as I get the chance.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

helotaxi

Hornady brass is questionable based on the reading and research that I did when I was in the market. The alloy is too soft. That leaves your choices for brass at Lapua, Privi, Nosler, Jamison or Norma. Not heard anything about Privi .338 brass but the others have good reputations in this cartridge. 100 pieces should last you a long time.

I'm still in the market but not in the short term.

Storm16

Lapua Brass is probably your best choice. I've had good success with Retumbo and RL-19 as far as accuracy, but plan to up my powder charges do to flattened primers with min. powder charges. I first used Winchester WLRM, but plan to switch to Federal Gold Medal because i've had great success with them in my .308 and .243.

livnpaintball2

PRVI brass starts to separate at the base after 5 or 6 reloads, stick with lapua.

so around 70 cents per reload for 338 lapua?
    newbie from gr, mi.

livnpaintball2

Also if you use BERGER 300gn OTM bullets you need to use a VLD seater die. Forster Bench Dies will deform the meplat on those bullets but are fine with the SMK or Hornady 285.

orch

Hey there,

I've had great luck with Lapua brass, federal lr magnum primers, 89.2gr retumbo and 300gr Sierra MK's seated to an oal of 3.702"

I found out A couple other guys have pretty much developed exactly the the same load I have with good results.... Seems savage 338 Lapua + ~89 gr retumbo + 300gr SMK's = ~2750fps of long range goodness....

Orch

DPmax

A few months ago I stumbled into a great deal on PPU 250s so right now I'm using up the PRVI brass, livnpaintball2 is correct in that they only last about 5 reloads.
    My current load is 90gr of h1000 and Berger 300 OTMs.
    This has shown a clear "happy spot" node wise in my 110BA so now I'm working on COAL to see if I can get even tighter.

livnpaintball2

DPmax,
    Keep us informed of your development please, I have not been so lucky to date and still trying to find a happy spot with mine. I am glad to hear someone is having good luck with the 300OTM, I'm wanting to use that bullet if I can get it to work.