Thread: Hornady Concentricity Tool

Luckus

Hornady Concentricity Tool

My Hornady Concentricity gauge showed up today. I put it together and gave it a test run. I think I should have bought it long ago, as it works well. I have a RCBS Case master, but short cases are impossible to hold on the v blocks and get accurate readings. Being able to straighten the bullet without removing it from the tool is a great feature.

gotcha

Re: Hornady Concentricity Tool

Glad you like your new toy :D I've heard a lot of negatives about the concentricity tool lately. I've had mine a couple years. If I check for bullet concentricity, adjust to say.0015" R/O, then recheck the R/O at the body just below the shoulder in my Forster concentricity gauge ( V-blocks located on bullet & on base) the R/O will always be .0015" or less there also. Took me a while to get accustomed to adjusting R/O as it's easy to adjust "over center" & push R/O to the opposite side of bullet. All in all I've gotten really good results w/ the Hornady tool

Luckus

I can see by the little use I have done, that it will take some getting used to. I checked some 308 rounds I had used my RCBS gauige on in the Hornady, and they were right on the money .001-.

gotcha

Here's a few things I've learned using the tool....Brass quality is important. Case heads that contain imperfections (out of round, lumps on rim) will give false concentricity readings. When turning in the thumb screw the rotating action of the screw will sometimes turn the case past the 180* point & make concentricity worse. A perfectly concentric cartridge won't always line up at the same graduation point on the dial indicator due to machining tolerances of the bullet spindle. However the amount of R/O will indicate accurately when retested on your RCBS gauge. Quality brass like Norma & Lapua will give faster, more consistent readings. Well annealed brass is much easier to "true". Also, bullets that seat higher than base of neck require less thumb screw force but won't react to truing as well as bullets seated to base of neck. This problem gets worse w/ thin walled brass........ Just a few observations. Hope this is helpful :) :)