Thread: 10 FCP-K .308 bolt locking lugs

sliderspal

10 FCP-K .308 bolt locking lugs

I now have about 100 rounds through my 10 FCP-K .308 and today I was shooting some military match M852 7.62 ammo from 1993.
    Any way I noticed on a few of the rounds of this ammo the bolt seemed a bit snug during lock up of the bolt. I did get all the rounds chambered but like I said some were a bit snug during lock up. Seems the headspacing was a bit tight.
    After returning home to clean my rifle I noticed that some of the black coating on the back of the bolt locking lugs is starting to wear off.
    I do grease the lug faces before shooting to make sure there is no galling or binding.
    Is the black wearing on the lugs normal ?
    What other type of wear should I notice on the bolt and lugs during normal use?
    Oh and BTW this ammo shot great I was consistently getting .5 moa groups.

ellobo

Re: 10 FCP-K .308 bolt locking lugs

Military brass is different from commercial brass. That is why you have had the insertion problem. I have found that even after several reloadings they are sticky due to thicker brass. I think if you use commercial ammo your problem will go away. You may have gotten some machinegun loads which I believe are loaded to higher pressures than rifle ammo. I have some of those and they won't get used in my rifle.

El Lobo

sliderspal

This ammo is match M852 which was the ammo used at the National matches at Camp Perry back in the early 90's so I know it isn't "machine gun ammo".

cgeorgemo

Savage states on their website that they set headspace to minimum specs. The M852 might be slightly longer?

Basic Member

If you will send me some fired cases I will measure the case headspace for you and send the cases back.
    joe b.

Basic Member

M852 is 7.62x51mm and it is .002" longer at the top of the shoulder than the 308win

ellobo

It seems to me I read somewhere that the military chambers are different than commercial .308 chambers. A .002 difference in headspace can make a big difference when using those cases in a chamber made to SAMMI specs.

El Lobo