Thread: LRP Model 12

LRP Model 12

Anyone got a late model LRP? I'm unable to tell from the catalog if the barrel is a different diameter from the varmit profile. The catalog says that the LRPV model has a fluted 1" barrel, right bolt, left port. So the question is: What diameter does the LRP have?

My 10 FCPK has a heavy profile, but it isn't 1", more like .855 behind the muzzle brake. I'm looking only at the rifles that are offered in 243 with heavy barrels. This will be for casual shooting at 300 plus and serve as a long range varmit (PD's). So far in my research from Savage's web site, only the LRP 12 and the VLP DBM are offered in 243 (with heavy barrel).

Basic Member
    My Mod. 12 LRP 6.5 creed is 1.0045" at muzzle.

thks, good data. I think I'm going with the LRP

Dummos
    you won't regret it the LRP is a much stronger action than the open top vlp

I have to buy all my experience. Can't get a loaner, and no dealer in this area carries anything other than the low end Savages. I have to have someone order my rifles, sight unseen. I had good luck when I bought the FCPK. The only thing the LRP would need is a brake. I like all the jump removed I can get. I like to be able to see my hits on PD's, soda cans, and clay targets at 300+

Basic Member
    I don't know if you will need a muzzle brake on an LRP. I shoot a 260 Rem LRP at 600-1000 yds and I can stay on target to call my own shots with no problem.

Brent
    I have shot my buddies LRP in 260 and I agree, no brake needed. Easy shooter. My 116 in Varmint contour with flutes in 6.5-284 has twice the kick and it is not too bad.

storeyteller
    Sounds like your gettin there Mickey.