Thread: Magazine Ideas Help Needed!

Basic Member

Magazine Ideas Help Needed!

I recently purchased a 116 300 RUM. It has the accutrigger, but is a stagger feed. When I took it apart, the magazine fell apart! It turned out to be a 300 WM magazine cut in half, spaced further apart to accept a 300 RUM follower then had a rectangular piece of stainless sheet metal JB welded on each side. I called the guy I bought it from and he assured me he did nothing to the magazine and that the gun itself was ordered from the Savage Custom Shop. I called Savage and they confirmed it was a custom order (maybe after they quite producing them?). At any rate, there does not seem to be a 300 RUM magazine left on the planet, so I was wondering what it might take to convert this to a center feed? I've read where guys making 338 Edges are slotting the end of their center feed magazines to accommodate OAL. Would I be able to purchase a 300 WM center feed magazine and an "L" clip and make this work?

Thanks,

JB

Basic Member

Re: Magazine Ideas Help Needed!

Anybody? I would really like some first-hand knowledge before I try to order parts. I'm hoping I can do this and put the action in a BVSS stock.

ellobo

Hvn't done it myself but from what I have read on this forum you can replace the stagger feed magazine with a control feed by just putting the center feed in the magazine well and shimming to make it fit. As for extending it for longer OAL I have no idea. Hopefully someone who has done it will chime in.

El Lobo

Skunce

My factory RUM mag looked like it had been made by welding two mag sections together. When I built it into an Edge I lengthened it by cutting the front section off and adding the front section of a 300 Win mag to add an extra 1/4" length. I TIG welded it back together and opened up the bottom of the action with a milling machine.