Thread: Savage and Rem-Age 1:8 300BLK and .308WIN

leatherlunger

Savage and Rem-Age 1:8 300BLK and .308WIN

Would anyone else be interested in 16" and 18" 1:8 twist 300BLK and .308WIN barrels from CBI for the Savage and Rem-age platforms? I keep being told it wont be done but i am not satisfied. Maybe a long positive thread will help if im not the only one. The ultra high balistic coefficient offerings for .308 bullets by berger, hornady, etc are too incredible not to want to maximize any 30 cal platform. Help me out boys.

hotbrass

Re: Savage and Rem-Age 1:8 300BLK and .308WIN

Unless you are married to CBI, there are plenty of great barrel makers that will make you a barrel to your specifications. As long as you got the time and money. I dont know why CBI wouldnt make you one either. 1:8 308 barrel blanks are no big deal. Every barrel maker in the world has a 308 reamer. All the good ones have a 300 AAC Blackout reamer, or will get one. They are just waiting for your call. Not sure why you need a bunch of people. A whole bunch of people already own one, or two.

I ordered a Shaw 16" 1:8 300 AAC Blackout Bull barrel from the Gunshack for my Savage .223 and it will arrive eventually. They are behind in delivery but that is ER Shaws fault. Other companies are taking orders for Shaw barrels and they are showing a September delivery. Gunshack is saying June. I doubt it will arrive in June, but I already have a AR-15 300 AAC Blackout upper and it is fantastic with an adjustable gas port I can keep it from cycling with subsonic ammo and suppressed it is as quiet as a BB gun shooting 208 gr Amax. Accuracy is Minute of Pig out to 200 yds, which is what I bought it for.

Good luck.

nsaqam

Plenty of barrel makers simply won't do a 16" barrel for a rifle. 16.5" is fine but with a 16" barrel if you have to recrown ever you've just made an illegal rifle.
    There's a good reason why the Ruger Compact rifles come with a 16.5" barrel.

leatherlunger

I wish the remmy barrels from aac had a barrel nut. Maybe I should have rephrased that from the beginning. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Basic Member

PSSST... Tell them its a 16.5" Striker PISTOL barrel and that you want the pistol barrel rate... :-)

It should be about $100 bucks less since they can make 2x from each 33" blank.

McGowan makes 'em, as well as other companies.. I think we heard Rock Creek might be doing so soon as well.. There's a lot of people going after the market, and a lot that haven't yet recognized the opportunity.

Vote with your wallet.. Let them know they missed your purchase and "Brand X" got your business..

Sooner or later, they join the bandwagon, or lock in their position permanently. Either way, you got your barrel.

SC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

Basic Member
    A .300blk on this striker should knock down some stuff at 200yrds, will .221fb brass work? This one is chambering and ejecting it.

Basic Member
    Just picked up a Varm contour 1-8" 16.5" McGowen that was in stock from a place in VA. I was told that all you have to do with 221fb brass is just run it through a 300blk size die. Haven't tried it yet as there is 300blk brass available, and I have 500 LC 5.56 that I can convert before I spend money on 221fb.

Basic Member
    I bought the sporter contour since I am building a light weight 300BO rifle. Looks like dude in VA is just selling the BFG barrels...which they must buy as blanks and ream.