Thread: .223 rate of twist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    diesel

.223 rate of twist

Can anyone tell me what twist Savage uses in their .223 barrels? Axis and 25's. do I have to look for a used .222 to get a 1-12 or 1-14 so I can use the lighter bullets? have NO intrest in bullets over 50 gr. the .243 takes over then. also, how light a bullet and what velocity will stableize (or not over stableize) in a 1-9 twist?

Basic Member

Re: .223 rate of twist

I've used the lighter bullets in my 1-9 with no problems

cgeorgemo

The twist is what you thought. 1-9" for the Axis and 25
    The 22 Hornet 25 is 1-14"

82boy

You dont have to look for a "used .222 to get a 1-12 or 1-14", in fact you would have a hard time finding such a thing chambered for a Savage. (Like a needle in a hay stack thing. Very few was made, and the was made long long ago.) But E R Shaw still makes 223's in a 1 in 14 twist is you have to have such an thing. You can also have a barreled chambered in what ever twist rate, length, contour, or anything else, by a gunsmith.

You are realy missing the mark on a 223 by limiting your self to bullets under 50 grs. 223 do amazing well with 52gr bullets, and on up. You may want to look at BC's between the bullets, you might be suprised. Many 22's have better bc rating than manyof the 6mm in the same weight.

On stabilizing bullets, a bullet is either stabilized or it is not. You can not "over stabilize a bullet." It is possible to spin a bullet to fast where it will come apart and will not make the trip. On gyroscopic stability it is rare to be able to get a bullet that will not stabilize to stabilize by pushing it harder, if it does happen that just means that that bullet is one the very edge of being stabilized. Generaly, you will not be able to pick up enough speed to stabilize a bullet that needs a faster twist. On the other side of things each barrel has it own personality, and what works in one may or may not work in another. with that said you may be able to push a 40 gr bullet in one 1 in 9 twist barrel , and have no problem, but you may find that another barrel will make that same bullet and load, not make the trip. In other words you should let the barrel pick the bullet and not the other way around. There is still advantages, and disadvantage between caliber, even at the same bullet weight. In closing dont limit your 223, because you have a 243, you may find that you are missing out.

I don't think that a 1:9" twist is gonna hurt a 50ish grain pill in .223 (maybe only if your exceeding the limits of the bullets max velocity). There is no such thaing as "over stabilization" (albeit you can use that as a descriptive term if it suits your need).

+1... 82boy has said it quite well... no reason to NOT want the 1:9" twist and you'd be missing out on some great shooting with that .223 by NOT having the ability to shoot the higher weight (and BC) pills.

All the best,

Jim
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    On gyroscopic stability it is rare to be able to get a bullet that will not stabilize to stabilize by pushing it harder, if it does happen that just means that that bullet is one the very edge of being stabilized. Generaly, you will not be able to pick up enough speed to stabilize a bullet that needs a faster twist.

The group near the target that actually looks like a group is 69gr and the one that they are all tumbling are 70gr. Shot with my 22-250 1-14" barrel.

I don't recommend that anyone try this themselves. I damaged my rifle's bolt head pushing them fast enough to stabilize the 69s.

With 52gr SMK the barrel puts 5 shots into .3s at 100 yds, .4s at 200 yds and .9s at 300 yds if I do my part correctly.

diesel

I want to thank all of you for the education on 22's. I will accept a 1-9 on this advice and try some heaver bullets. I knew I could depend on some very sound advice from the members of this board. thank you all again. diesel. much better knoledge of engines than ballistics.

dboyers

Just an FYI, Savage still makes a .222 in the model 25.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25LVT

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25WV

Long live the triple deuce!!

skypilot

Good advice from the others. So far, last two range days, My FCPK .223 1/9 will shoot 75 gr AMax and 53 gr Hornady and likes 55 Hornady anf 69 SMK best.
    Heavier is a REAL advantage in any wind past 400+ yds.

Cheers

Mathias

I just picked up some 75gr A-max moly coated, haven't had a chance to try them out yet though :/