Thread: 111 DBM to 110 Blind mag.

Basic Member

111 DBM to 110 Blind mag.

Is it possible to convert a Savage 111 .300 WinMag DBM to a Savage 110 .300 WinMag blind mag? If so what parts do I need. The Choate Tactical stock I want to use is not available in the 111 DBM and I really don't want to try and inlet it to fit.

stangfish

Re: 111 DBM to 110 Blind mag.

If you have a centerfeed you just need the stock and the L clip for the Magazine. You would need to pop the old mag out of the dbm and insert into the stock.

Basic Member

Is number 7 the L clip you are talking about?

stangfish

thats it

Basic Member

Thanks

jordan
    If you got that L clip can you let me know where from? I'm dealing with the same sort of thing but with a Boyd's Thumbhole stock

WuzYoungOnceToo
    OK, I'm confused here. I asked for clarification regarding essentially the same question here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...sion-Question)

The answer was that 111 DBM -> blind mag conversion for this purpose involves nothing more than removing the floor plate from the mag and then reinserting the mag into the action, which would then make it a staggered feed setup for purposes of determining which stock to order from a company like Boyd's. What am I missing here? How is the L clip going to be used on an action that (like mine) doesn't have a matching receiver notch cut for it?

center feed mag is held in stock by L clip
    stagger feed mag is attached to receiver
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.

WuzYoungOnceToo
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    center feed mag is held in stock by L clip
    stagger feed mag is attached to receiver
    Oops, yes...understood (I got myself crossed up a little in my previous post). However, the question still remains regarding the feedback I got here...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...sion-Question)

...which I had interpreted as meaning that converting a DBM to internal blind = a staggered feed mag setup. But now I'm thinking that was incorrect, and that sharpshooter had deduced (based on other info I had provided) that MY 111 - specifically - is a staggered feed action, and that stangfish's answer to OP indicates that some other DBMs might be of the center feed variety. Is that the correct interpretation?

jordan
    You said yours was a side button release, mine is a bottom release, does that make mine center feed where yours is stagger feed?
    and I have an old L clip from a stevens 200 .308 that I changed.. would that clip work for a savage model 116 .300 win mag? or would the clips be different sizes?

WuzYoungOnceToo
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    You said yours was a side button release, mine is a bottom release, does that make mine center feed where yours is stagger feed?
    I think so, and I'm assuming that was the critical bit of info that clued sharpshooter into the fact that mine is a staggered feed. I'd forgotten that there were bottom-release models as well.

It seems like a single well-layed out and thoroughly explained treatment of this subject would make a good sticky. There's plenty of info on the subject if you go looking for it, but as I said in my other thread it's very fragmented a bit difficult to piece together for the novice.

Basic Member
    If you got that L clip can you let me know where from? I'm dealing with the same sort of thing but with a Boyd's Thumbhole stock

i bought mine from Savage, type in your serial #, click on the part you want and order it! last time i ordered 3 and had them in about 4-5 days.
    https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

jordan
    I typed in my serial number but it just popped up a exploded view of a rifle with the DBM.. there was no L clip to click on...

Side Button = staggered feed
    Bottom release = center feed

You CANNOT interchange the two styles of magazines (center feed and stagger feed), thus you cannot switch from a center feed to a staggered feed or vise-versa.

To answer your last question, yes the clip from your Stevens will work as they're all the same.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Basic Member
    I typed in my serial number but it just popped up a exploded view of a rifle with the DBM.. there was no L clip to click on...
    here is the part # and cost per unit. this works with the 110 models, i don't know if the magnums take a different one. if this will work for your application just call Savage with the part#.
    MAG RETAINING CLIP - PN: 106130
    $2.00

imaluger
    I just purchased a used Model 111 300 winmag - synthetic stock. It was in pieces as it was going to be shipped. When I began putting it together I noticed the side clip release button laying in the bottom of the box. I inserted the button into the hole and falls out. I can find nothing to keep in it place. As this is my first savage I am not sure where to look or what to look for to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

I got onto the Savage website, typed in my serial # and saw a parts list. I can now see the mag latch button looks as if it has been modified. It has no stop collar left on it and looks as if it has been trimmed with a knife (for some inexplicable reason). A new one is on order.
    Last edited by imaluger; 07-15-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Found an answer to my problem

mhotz
    Ok -- I'm old and not quick on the up-take anymore (or so my kids tells me), so I hope you guys will be patient and let me know whether I have correctly summarized all that I've read here and in a couple of other threads:

I want to re-stock my older Savage 111 FCXP3 (aka Hunter XP) in 30-06 (long action) from factory synthetic to a Boyd's wooden model

To do this I want to converft my 111 FCXP3 from detachable box magazine (DBM) to internal blind magazine (I dislike detachable mags anyways)

My 111 FCXP3 has a magazine release button on the side of the stock, and is therefore a staggered-feed (SF) magazine and not a center-feed (CF)

This 111 FCXP3 staggered-feed DBM-to-blind magazine conversion consists of (1) pulling the bottom cover off my existing magazine, (2) inserting the now-bottomless magazine and its original follower/spring into the magazine well that is already attached to the action, and (3) setting this action/magazine combination into the new stock with the spring resting on the inside-bottom of the stock cutout

If that's it, then it sounds like I don't need clips, a new magazine, a new follower/spring, a new magazine well, or anything else -- just the new stock

Did I understand correctly?

Thanks

Mike
    mhotz001@gmail.com