Thread: Double-chambered barrel blank

Basic Member

Double-chambered barrel blank

I seem to recall someone saying that they bought a barrel and had both ends chambered/threaded, and then separated for short-barreled purposes (Strikers/SBR's <=16" barrels, etc..)

Was that someone on this site? I'd be interested in who offered that service, and if it provided a reasonable savings by consuming a single blank to make 2 barrels..?

Maybe its an urban legend, or I dreamed it up, but hoping I'm not mis-remembering something and its an actual option/opportunity.

Regards,

SC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

Re: Double-chambered barrel blank

I kind of remember the same thing, but different. I recall reading a thread where someone chambered both ends of a blank and threaded, and then shot it that way, just cleaning the chambers before flipping it over to use the other chamber. One end in 243 and the other in 6BR for example. Don't remember how it turned out for him though.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cgeorgemo

Don't see how a crown that recessed would ever get damaged... ::)

sinman

It can be done I'm sure, how well does it work? now that is a good question. I would assume fairly well.

Ray Gunter

Sorry fella's but I dont see any problem here at all.

Take a barrel, thread and chamber one end. Turn it around thread and chamber the other end.
    Cut the barrel in two. Now I have 2 barrels (sorta short) each with a chamber and already threaded for an action.
    Now crown them both.

Basic Member

Yeah,

Thats the idea... instead of wasting a 28" blank to make one barrel with 10-12 inches thrown away, buy a 32, 33" blank, doble chamber for 2 rifle-legal barrels.. Or with a <30" barrel have one legal rifle barrel and one pistol/SBR barrel..

Now I'm just trying to figure out who said they were doing it that way.... LOL Ultimately you save the cost of an additional blank..

SC

Basic Member

"Don't see how a crown that recessed would ever get damaged... " LOL ;D

Except after you've shot it a while and then want to turn it around. Now you have a burnt crown because it was the throat before and got cooked/worn/etc. from all those firings from the other end. Would it affect accuracy? I dunno. Just a thought. Cool idea though. I'd like to see someone try it.

blom

I could be all wrong here, but it was my understanding that the barrel maker designates which end of the barrel blank is the chamber and which is the muzzle. At least that's how mine have been.
    Stu

Gmac5

I personally have done this many times ,you do get twice the life or get to test diff chambers ,design velocity ,etc,but it has always proven to be more accurate one way ,the way the barrel was intended to be shot .yes even on cut rifled ,and hammer forged .THATS WHY MANUFACTURES MARK ONE END.

Basic Member

I guess I was going for the MOST simplified version, while this could be accomplished multiple ways;

C=Chamber
    M=Muzzle
    = =barrel

Split - Chamber - Crown - both barrels "face" the same way...

CCC============M CCC===========M

Chamber - Split - Crown - muzzles face one another

CCC===========M M===========CCC

Chamber - Crown - Split - Chamber - Crown

CCC1===========M2 CCC2===========M1

Contouring could not happen until after Split operations - unless its not that difficult to do the compound contours...

I think blanks have +$10/inch charge for barrels over 30"

If I wanted a 16.5 and a 12" I could get by with a simple 30" blank....

Barrel Cost = $BB
    33" Blank +$30
    Chamber and countour 1st barrel - included

Chamber 2nd barrel - $XX
    Contour second barrel $YY

I would think that $BB+$30+$XX+$YY <= 2x$BB, thus presenting a savings.... and reducing waste..

SC

thomae

I just had a brilliant inspirational thought! (...and a little too much free time on my hands, to boot!) ;D

How about we take this idea to its logical far extreme and start marketing a "Palindrome Dueling Rifle?"

It would be designed like this:
    Stock/Action/Chamber==>================<==Chamber/Action/Stock

When two individuals really and truly could not resolve their differences, each would take one end, chamber a live round, and then at the count of three try to shoot the other one.

...and as an added bonus, you would save the cost of cutting the barrel and finishing two crowns!

Here's an "artist's conception" of a deluxe model: Please notice the stainless fluted varmint barrel, accutrigger, colored laminate thumbhole stock, and set up so that a lefty could be on one end (See there, I'm not one to leave you southpaws out in the cold!).

It would be a switchbarrel, of course, so that if you had a small disagreement with someone, you could use something in the .22 caliber range, but if you really had a serious beef with someone, a magnum caliber would be much more appropriate, and the change would not at all be expensive, since you would only need one barrel plus whatever few miscellaneous caliber-specific parts were required.

You could also market one with a plain tupperware stock and a simple blued barrel, but it might not be as accurate as the heavy barreled one after the first few shots warmed it up. (However, it would likely appeal to the market segment with a little less disposable income.)

Of course, since this concept was my idea, I'd like a cut of the enormous profits you would generate. Don't worry, however as I am not greedy. I am sure we could work out an amicable agreement.

All the best,
    Thomae ("Coming up with good ideas since 6:30 AM this morning!!" )

Thomae- you do have entirely to much time on your hands but I laughed pretty hard!

Gmac5

Great idea i gots another one lets flute the INSIDE AND CALL IT RUFLNG