Thread: criterion barrels

bquillin

criterion barrels

Just wanted to post a little info about the criterions, I recently purchased a 30" bull 6br 1-8 twist from Mr. Briggs at NSS after shooting it the results where better than I had expected sub moa out to 600. So I ordered a 30" bull 308 win 1-10 twist just put it into action and wow sub moa at 100 waiting on the rain to leave to go out to six , Both barrels or on Savage target actions with F class stocks.

hotbrass

Re: criterion barrels

Got any pics of that long snout? THANKS!

Basic Member

I have a 26" CBI 6mm br and it shoots great! Under .22 " ;D
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

chuckbuster243

I have a 308 1-10 twist bull 30" that will shoot well under 1/4 moa out to 500. I have not shot it to 1000 yet but trying to get there. It cleans well, broke in fast I cant ask for any better. if I can figure out how to post photos I will post a photo of the build. Its on a 110 long action and a benchrest richards microfit laminate stock.

bquillin

Well Ive tried posting pics of the criterion barrels and the 110 Ba target action but haven't figured out how any pointers would be appreciated

Basic Member

Go back to the Home page and then go to picture post section ( it is below the classified section)
    I think the 4th bold topic is picture posting 101
    Kind of confusing but what you have to do is upload your pics you want to post to photo bucket and then move them to your post
    Hope this helps
    Jack

leatherlunger

I have three remage rifles i am building. A 28" bull .284 Win long throat on a long action, a 28" bull 6.5x47 Lapua on a short action and a an 18" .308 Win on a long action. I am thoroughly impressed with these barrels performance and value using the Rem-Age conversion on my 700's. Thanks Jim.

mike82352

Here is my Savage model 12 .308 with a 28"criterion barrel cut and re-crowned at 24" and threaded for my own muzzle brake.
    It has the XLR evolution chassis with a stock that I built. Groups are .4"@100yards with 168 and 175 SMK's.

Leonardo63

I received mine yesterday from Jim- It will be a week before I shoot it but it is a very nice barrel. I've mostly had Shilen and Douglas match tubes but from reading here for a while I had no reservation trying a CBI.
    What I noticed 2 decades ago most of you already know- cleaning a factory barrel, you can get crud out of them until you decide to quit almost. This CBI looks like a mirror on the inside so I expect it to be a easy cleaner. I'm very happy with it. I probably would have went with a Shilen but I didn't want to wait so I took one Jim had on the shelf- 6.5x47 Lapua. Looking forward to this build, should be a blast.

BTW- That's a beauty! I love the chassis!

Opus Dei

Quote Originally Posted by mike82352
    Here is my Savage model 12 .308 with a 28"criterion barrel cut and re-crowned at 24" and threaded for my own muzzle brake.
    It has the XLR evolution chassis with a stock that I built. Groups are .4"@100yards with 168 and 175 SMK's.

Your stock rocks! Had the XLR been available with one, I might've gone with it over a McRee.

mike82352

Thanks.....I really like the XLR, I still need to ceracote the barrel and action and do a camo job on the stock yet.
    So far I really like the criterion barrel, it cleans easy and it shots about any load I put in it. I'm still not done with load development yet. I think it will do better than .4" groups @ 100......just need to tweak a bit more.
    I have built another stock for the chassis, more like the XLR tactical stock, but I like the one on it now. I also built a jig to do the bolt knobs….so I might change that later as well.

arrestman

Hi guys, new to the forum and just received my criterion bbl in .308-10 twist. How are you guys breaking in your bbl's. The one that I got seems to copper foul bad! Havn't tried shooting for groups yet just shoot and clean. Taking forever, copper still heavy.

mike82352

Mine laid down a little copper the first 30-40 rounds, but now I get little to none. My 5 shot groups are .4 to .5 at 100yrds. Still doing load development.....hope to get a little better?

chuckbuster243

What loads are you shooting in your 10 twist that are fouling bad?? I shot one and cleaned for the first six. Then shot two and cleaned for six more then shot three more and cleaned. All the time watching for copper buildup and letting the barrel cool between strings. Its important to scrub while the barrel while it is hot. It makes the cleaning very easy. After this procedure I shot 20 or so rounds and cleaned the barrel in less than 6 patches! I am very pleased! Also what copper solvent do you use? I am using Butchs Bore Shine. I have several factory a Kreiger and a couple Shilen barrels and by far this CBI from Jim cleans the best.

arrestman

I Just started shooting my criterion .308 1-10 and cleaned after every shot for the first 3 rds, then shot 3rd groups and cleaned each time for 3- 3 rd strings. Then shot 5 shot groups twice cleaning each time. Total 22 rds fired. I'm using butch's bore shine soaking the bore to get the carbon fouling out and then following with KG-12 to remove the copper. It's still copper fouling bad and taking a good 20-30 minutes to clean so that no blue is showing on the patch. But it appears to shoot well. I'm using 45 grains of Varget and sierra 165 BT SPT at a COL of 2.880 One of the 3 shot groups measured .032, 1-hole at 100yds. I hope the copper fouling will subside after 40 or 50 rds and if it don't it still a shooter. I would like to know what you guys are shooting (pet loads) in your .308's. Thanks

MDM

Just as a comparison... I got a Kreiger in 6.5 Creedmoor installed a couple of months ago. Fired two rounds, cleaned with only a little bit of copper. I've cleaned 4 times over the next 400 rounds and have yet to get any copper out of my barrel. Must be the difference in their cut rifled Krieger's and the button rifled Criterions.

I've had very little copper from my 260 CBI tube beyond the first 100 or so rounds.

northlander

Observation - Cleaning technique varies from one shooter to another, I have had customers see more copper than others and often ask why. I have seen some shooters that scrub their copper solvents into the barrel with their bronze brushes and get a false reading as a result. I have seen other shooters use just a patch loaded up with Copper Solvent through their barrels with a Brass Jag, they see copper everytime.

I scrub my Copper Solvent into my barrels with a nylon brush. I patch out my solvent filled barrels with two Kroil soaked patchs. The copper traces I have seen have all been from the first round of cleaning. They have been very light but in my opinion all barrels will see light amounts of copper after normal shooting. My premium barrels have all come clean in just one session. My factory barrels are a different story.

Jim Briggs
    NSS