Thread: Those That Switch Barrels, I Have Two Questions ..

Opus Dei

Those That Switch Barrels, I Have Two Questions ..

How often do you change barrels, and when you reinstall your "normal" barrel, do you notice significant POI differences? Thanks in advance.

Re: Those That Switch Barrels, I Have Two Questions ..

When needed and not usually.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cgeorgemo

I have one rifle that gets changed back and forth from a 25-06 to a 22-250 every year after deer season. I swap the scopes and always end up re-zeroing the rifle.

Basic Member

I swap as I test new wildcats/cartridges and yes I need to re-sight each time as I usually swap scope at the same time. A friend has modified his nut wrench to make it 'open' by cutting the top half off. That allows him to swap barrels without removing the scope, it still needs re-sighting but is close enough to not be a major job.
    Cheers...
    Con

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

I have no set time parameters for when I change barrels. When I get tired of shooting one, I change to another. I make it a point to take the rifle down to the bones when I do & service / check everything out.

Even though I have never found anything of critical nature that needed attention, I want to see how it wears and / or holds up over time.

I can think of one time where I didn't have to zero in the scope & I attributed it to pure luck.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

If you do decide to swap barrels with the scope or bases still in place make sure the mount screws aren't bottomed out against the barrel threads. The results are ugly and can be expensive. I am apparently not the only one who has made this mistake. :-[
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    I have no set time parameters for when I change barrels. When I get tired of shooting one, I change to another. I make it a point to take the rifle down to the bones when I do & service / check everything out.

Even though I have never found anything of critical nature that needed attention, I want to see how it wears and / or holds up over time.

I can think of one time where I didn't have to zero in the scope & I attributed it to pure luck.
    +1 to Fanks post.... I'm right there with ya!
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Opus Dei

Thanks for the feedback, all. The main reasons I chose a Savage were the ability for the ability to install barrels with minimal fuss and to swap calibers. It was given if I used the same scope with different calibers, I'd need to re-zero.

More to the point, I wanted to know if this practice unduly affected the inherent accuracy of an established setup to reinstall the "normal" barrel and consequently would be discouraged. But it appears the effects are no more pronounced than removing/replacing a QD optic mount on an AR. IOW, some tweaking, but nothing extraordinarily affecting the (IDK; harmonics?) of the barreled receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus Dei
    Thanks for the feedback, all. The main reasons I chose a Savage were the ability for the ability to install barrels with minimal fuss and to swap calibers. It was given if I used the same scope with different calibers, I'd need to re-zero.

More to the point, I wanted to know if this practice unduly affected the inherent accuracy of an established setup to reinstall the "normal" barrel and consequently would be discouraged. But it appears the effects are no more pronounced than removing/replacing a QD optic mount on an AR. IOW, some tweaking, but nothing extraordinarily affecting the (IDK; harmonics?) of the barreled receiver.

204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

mugsie

I started out like you - building a switch barrel rifle. Then ran into a severe problem - I had this barrel sitting in the safe with nothing attached to it. OK - I'll get a reciever - next thing I knew I needed a stock - now I had two rifles on dedicated stocks - wait! that wasn't the orginal plan - the original plan was a switch barrel - so I picked up another barrel in a different caliber - hmmm - sitting in the safe all alone - needed a reciever - then a stock ....

It's an addiction - Hello - my name is Bill and I'm a barrel nut addict.....

Becareful what you wish for!

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by mugsie
    I started out like you - building a switch barrel rifle. Then ran into a severe problem - I had this barrel sitting in the safe with nothing attached to it. OK - I'll get a reciever - next thing I knew I needed a stock - now I had two rifles on dedicated stocks - wait! that wasn't the orginal plan - the original plan was a switch barrel - so I picked up another barrel in a different caliber - hmmm - sitting in the safe all alone - needed a reciever - then a stock ....

Beware the Barrel Nut!

Basic Member

My only current dilemma is knowing what barrels I have mounted. Some have no markings and most that do have markings are never visible when the barrel is mounted.

any suggestions on what people do, I dont know if I want to stamp or re-stamp the barrels.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

cgeorgemo

Dymo labeler

ellobo

The dymo label is a good idea but if you dont want to stick something on the rifle and change it every swap, hang an ordinary tag on your bolt handle with the info on it when you store the rifle.

El Lobo

cgeorgemo

Just label the barrel where the toll stamp would be.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsie

Beware the Barrel Nut!
    +1!!!

jeffreyC

If you are prone to that sort of addiction do not get into AR's, I know a guy on another forum who started with a gas tube roll pin and ended up with a rifle.
    He did not want it to get lost, so he bought a gas tube, well that was not quite enough so he added a gas block.............

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    Dymo labeler
    I use a Sharpie ;D
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member

is the dymo label permanent? If removed, how, and does the glue clean off acceptably?
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

cgeorgemo

Re: Re: Those That Switch Barrels, I Have Two Questions ..

Pretend my previous post said roll stamp not toll stamp.
    Can't figure how to edit a post on Tapatalk...