Thread: Savage 111 LRH Accuracy Issue

saskdude99

Savage 111 LRH Accuracy Issue

I have a 338 Lap in the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter Model. I am an experienced reloader and am having accuracy issues. I have tried two reliable scopes(off different rifles of mine) and I am consistently getting a "flyer" in 3 shot groups. This flyer is often 2-3" away from the other two rounds which are typically with a MOA or less.
    1. I have tried various powders bullet combinations.
    2. I took off the accustock and removed a pressure point off the front of the stock
    3. I shoot off a really solid Titegroup rest

Anybody experience and issues in accuracy? What was your solution?

Team Savage

Re: Savage 111 LRH Accuracy Issue

At what distance are we talking? Had a client that had an issue with his and it turned out after the 5th round fired, all accuracy went down the tubes. Sent it back to Savage. They said it was within tolerance.... but only fired 3 shots. Dealer made it right...... The other issue it had, was the entire rifle was coming apart.... the recoil was so violent, that it caused every screw and bolt on that rig to come loose.

Have you had your barrel borescoped yet?
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by kschilling
    At what distance are we talking? Had a client that had an issue with his and it turned out after the 5th round fired, all accuracy went down the tubes. Sent it back to Savage. They said it was within tolerance.... but only fired 3 shots. Dealer made it right...... The other issue it had, was the entire rifle was coming apart.... the recoil was so violent, that it caused every screw and bolt on that rig to come loose.

Have you had your barrel borescoped yet?
    These are 100m targets
    Haven't had it bore scoped.

stangfish

Recoil Fear ;D Wait, You're using a titegroup. Then it might be recoil fear.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Stang may be right....

Whenever I shoot my '06 with RL 19 & 220's, the recoil will knock the wax out of my left ear. First 2 shots - right in there.
    After that, groups open up. I've even had my range officer friend tell me he can see me flinching.

Shooting .270 or .223 or .243 - no problem. Shoulder surgery about 6 months ago may, just may have a little impact on the situation. I can't say for sure.....

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

cgeorgemo

Hey saskdude99 maybe you can help us out. Is the 338 LM a target action or a regular large shank long action?

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    Stang may be right....

Whenever I shoot my '06 with RL 19 & 220's, the recoil will knock the wax out of my left ear. First 2 shots - right in there.
    After that, groups open up. I've even had my range officer friend tell me he can see me flinching.

Shooting .270 or .223 or .243 - no problem. Shoulder surgery about 6 months ago may, just may have a little impact on the situation. I can't say for sure.....

Frank in Fla
    I actually use the Titegroup rest for everything because I OWN it. I have many others guns that punch sub 1/2 moa targets..mostly Savage and a few Tikka. The recoil on the 111 LRH isn't that bad and I double protect my hearing. I KNOW it is not a flinching issue. I have a 30-378(BRNO 602/Gaillard Barrel) that punches nearly one hole.

saskdude99

I also have an 8-32x Sightron MOA and a Burris 6-24x. Same results with both. I can literally see a fly on the target and I am holding it rock solid.

Basic Member

how about bedding the stock?

ellobo

Have you checked the simple stuff? Like free floated tang and barrel, reciever mtg screws not tight (40 inch/lbs torque). Possibly the wrong screws in the front of the scope mount that may be hitting the barrel and not tightening down all the way. Little things can make a big difference.

El Lobo

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Have you checked the simple stuff?
    Like free floated tang and barrel, reciever mtg screws not tight (40 inch/lbs torque).Checked
    Possibly the wrong screws in the front of the scope mount that may be hitting the barrel and not tightening down all the way. Checked
    Little things can make a big difference.

El Lobo

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    how about bedding the stock?
    Accustock?

Basic Member

why not? if there is some slack somewhere you could tighten it up some by bedding , take your action screws out and see how it moves around in there, flyers as such or usually from either scope loose, trigger control and flinching and bedding but you sound like you have alot of time behind them big thumpers so it all is IMHO.

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    why not? if there is some slack somewhere you could tighten it up some by bedding , take your action screws out and see how it moves around in there, flyers as such or usually from either scope loose, trigger control and flinching and bedding but you sound like you have alot of time behind them big thumpers so it all is IMHO.
    I am going to the private range in the morning and start by testing the bottom of my bench up. I am going to chronograph every shot and see what happens. In the southern part of Saskatchewan we often get some nice long prairie shots and right now I might be going back to my 700 STW that shoots .4 MOA all day long.

okiehunter

Saskdude99, I have the same rifle and I have really been tested with this gun. I too have shot my whole life and reloaded the last 30 yrs. This has been the most challenging weapon I have ever had to get to shoot accurately and I have had several, most Savage. When I started, the break in of the barrel was rougher than most, it took 25 rounds to get to the point that I felt like it was smoothing up. I have had accuracy problems, fliers, and extraction issues. I have just now, after 250 + rounds gotten to a point that I'm comfortable and confident enough to take it hunting (AK) in Sept. for the 4th year. My final recipe is 85.7 grs. of H4831sc under 250 gr. Nosler accubonds in Nosler brass. I fully resize and bump the shoulder back to within .002 of factory. Would be interested to know what your neck measures after firing, mine is .371. I suspect that your fliers are coming from inconsistences in your brass. We'll continue with this if you care to. Respond with issues you may have had and I'll let you know if I've been through it yet.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by okiehunter
    85.7 grs. of H4831sc under 250 gr. Nosler accubonds
    Now them's T-rex loads for sho Makes me flinch just readin about it

saskdude99

Well just got back from the range and did the following.
    1. Releveled the bench, adjusted the legs so there was 0 movement when I moved it back/forth front and side.
    2. Made sure all wingnuts were tight on the Titegroup Rest.
    3. Moved the cross slots of the Warne Rings to the FRONT of the Picitinny Rail slot.
    4. Marked the scope with a white pencil crayon showing the starting position on both sides of the rings.

Shot 2 shot groups with 7 different loads. Will take the good ones and try to work around these.

Results 1. Couldn.t get the Burris XTR 6-24 low enough. Bottomed out at about 10" high. Need to figure this out.
    Switched back to the Sightron 8-32

Best Results(remember 2 shot/?) Who knows where the 3rd shot goes but I hope this points in the right direction
    1. Retumbo 88gr 285gr Hornady Match .18
    2. Retumbo 88.5 285 Match .78

Still had extreme spread 2" on some of the US 869 loads and on some RL25

Next time I am going to clean between groups.

okiehunter

Are you using Warne bases along with your rings? Are you using 2 or 3 rings? I had to use 3 Burris tactical rings to get the groups I'm getting. 2 behind the turrets and 1 in front. Would have used all 4 if I'd had room but I decided to leave space for my level. Are you saying that your 3rd shot is off the target?

saskdude99

Quote Originally Posted by okiehunter
    Are you using Warne bases along with your rings? Are you using 2 or 3 rings? I had to use 3 Burris tactical rings to get the groups I'm getting. 2 behind the turrets and 1 in front. Would have used all 4 if I'd had room but I decided to leave space for my level. Are you saying that your 3rd shot is off the target?
    No just fired 2 shots.

saskdude99

I am going to try some 250gr SMK. Does anybody have a pet load that works for the savage 111 338 Lapdog?

Quote Originally Posted by saskdude99
    338 Lapdog?
    That's funny right there!

I'm watching this post with interest, I think by the time this is over we can all learn something. Don't give up saskdude!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

saskdude99

Well I am finally getting some accuracy. Used retumbo and N540 with Sierra 250gr Match Kings. Worst group 1.28. 1.15 Best .33, .33. 74, .78. Getting better.