Thread: A quick question about 25-06

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

A quick question about 25-06

Is the 25-06 caliber a long or short action on Savage rifles? ???

One of my favorite pawn shops has a 25-06 Savage for sale. My son looked at it & said he wants 2 Beans for it.

I was going to have him grab it right there but.... He was in the process of buying another Glock. I'll be looking at it tomorrow so I can check it out.

I need a short action. Long actions I have up the wazoo here. No shorties.....

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Re: A quick question about 25-06

25-06 is a long action... and a great round.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

Basic Member

I've heard that from others. Excellent velocity. Inherent accuracy. If only it was a short action.

Oh well, for 2 beans I might just grab it anyway. The price is right as long as it's not been beat to death or used for a pry bar or anything abusive...

Thanks.

Frank in Fla

Basic Member

You will love the .25-06. It is my favorite deer caliber. My 24 inch barreled Savage gives 3350 fps with a 100 grain bullet. With a 100 yard zero of +2 inches, it is +2 at 200 yds. and dead on at 250. So you get point blank aiming to 300+ yds. I have never had a deer to run. Most are drt.

.25-06 is a great cartridge and at two bills is a steal.

ctrout

Frank,

Hello from an undisclosed location! I don't get a chance to visit here very often from where I'm at currently but I just wanted to chime in since you were so helpful to me recently. I have never had any rifle in any quarter bore but I recently read an article where data was gathered on various calibers and their effectiveness on deer. They compiled stats on how far the animals went after being shot. As I recall, the 25-06 was in the top three of ALL calibers tested if not number one (not completely sure about that part but pretty certain).

Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442
    .25-06 is a great cartridge and at two bills is a steal.
    Yep!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

larrys1911

25-06 SUCKS horrible caliber, they are extremely inaccurate, barrel burners... just all around bad mojo...

by the way PM me with a phone number to the place would ya? just so I can tell them how bad it is of course. ;D

Seriously if you dont get it PLEASE PM me.

larry

Had a 25-06 and rechambered it to 25-06AI and love it. Does it burn the barrel? I am sure it does, but it is great on deer, low recoil, and amazing to see how fast the bullets really go.

Basic Member

Well, I looked at the 25-06 I mentioned. It wasn't $200 but $235 - still pretty reasonable. Even if it is the Edge model. I'm not familiar with the Edge. Would that be the old Axis changed to the Edge? Also, is the price still in line with what the rifle is worth?

When I looked at it, It seems the action port is kinda small compared to a 110. The port opening looks just big enough to slip a round in there. The barrel / action juncture looked typical Savage. Is there anything interchangeable between the 110 & Edge? The stock looked & felt trashy. It touched the barrel on both sides for the entire length.

The rifle looks brand new. I still may grab it but not before I do a wee bit of research on the "Edge dept" of this site.

ANyone have any warnings or encouragement, speak out. I have no knowledge about these particular Savage rifles.

Thanks -

Frank in Fla

P.S> Hey Chris - Thanks for your input! Everyone else - Thanks much! I do appreciate your input. Especially Larry.

cgeorgemo

The Edge became the Axis....dunno why they changed the name.
    I believe the barrels are interchangeable but the action, bolt, stock and trigger are not the same and are all new/different designs.

There's no after market support for the Axis, it's an entry level hunting rifle.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

GaCop - So, what you're saying is if I want a different stock, or other after market goodies I have to contact Savage and request Savage form No. SOL - 287.... The official **** outta luck form?

I spent the morning reading the Axis / Edge thread and pretty much gathered that it's a tight shooter but, forget about jazzing it up or making a long range shooter.

Whatcha see is whatcha get..

I think I'm going to pick it up anyway. When the grandkids outgrow the Marlin 60 I got them, they can graduate to the Edge.

Thanks for everybody's $0.02. I appreciate it.

Frank in Fla.

[quote=cgeorgemo ]
    The Edge became the Axis....dunno why they changed the name.

Mcmillan already had that name for there stocks.
    I still to this day cannot believe they chose to rename that line AXIS, that person in the marketing dept cannot be older than twenty something, what a terrible name, and a lack of respect, I swear peoples memory's are getting shorter and shorter.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

ellobo

The name of a stock wasnt the only infringement. There is a shaving cream that had the name "Edge" name

El Lobo

bigkahuna1019

I recently bought a new Savage Axis (formerly the Edge) in 25-06 and topped it with a Pentax 3 - 9 x 40mm scope. After a few rounds through it to sight it in, I found it to be very accurate, even with factory loads. I've been shooting Federal 117 grain PSP's through it and consistenly get groups of 1" or less at 100 yards. One word of caution, it comes with a standard single stagae trigger. Mine pulled right at 7.0 pounds and I've heard others have gotten them with trigger pulls up to 11.0 pounds. This is completely unacceptable. Easy fix though. The gun is cheap enough, for another $105.00 get a Timney after market trigger. Go here;http://www.gunblast.com/Timney-Axis.htm. They can be easily installed (article shows you step by step) and can be adjusted from a few ounces to 4 or 5 pounds. Timney makes a replacement trigger specifically for the Savage Axis.