Thread: Minox rifle scopes ?

Minox rifle scopes ?

Anyone running Minox rifle scopes? I bought an open box special from Doug at Cameraland a while back but haven't had a chance to give it a good workout yet. So far the glass compares very favorably to my MK4 Leupold, if it holds up and the adjustments are repeatable it could get the nod for this years pronghorn safari.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

nsaqam

Re: Minox rifle scopes ?

Yep, I've had the 1.5-8x32 ZA5 for about a year now.
    The glass compares to that in the Zeiss Conquest and I've found the adjustments repeatable and consistent.
    I like the metal turret caps on the Minox better than the plastic ones on the Conquest.
    Really nice scopes for the money.

Basic Member

Had two ZA3 3-9x40 models. Sold the one with the BDC reticle, kept the plain plex reticle. Nice glass, and Doug is a heck of a great guy to deal with.

I got the ZA5 4-20 x 50 with the ballistic reticle. So far the only thing I don't care for is the 50mm objective, simply looks goofy to me. I was able to use medium rings to mount it with no problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    Doug is a heck of a great guy to deal with.
    You said a mouth full there ;D now if he would just start selling Leupold!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Westcliffe01

I got a Z5 3-15x42 which I sighted in yesterday. I find the quality of the glass below the standard of any of my Nikons or even my Weaver 4x scope. Definite chromatic fringing at the edges of high contrast areas (black on white on target). So far I am disappointed.

nsaqam

Send it back.

That's Schott glass and mine is easily on par with any of the Zeiss Conquest's I've owned and FAR better than any Weaver I've looked through.

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    Send it back.

That's Schott glass and mine is easily on par with any of the Zeiss Conquest's I've owned and FAR better than any Weaver I've looked through.
    +1 The glass in mine is outstanding!

Westcliffe01

I re-mounted the scope on the 1 piece rail following Dougs directions (set scope to Max magnification before mounting) and after that the fringing I had seen previously was gone. However, my scope displayed 3-4MOA of parallax error at 100yds, which was pretty embarrassing. There were people next to me getting better groups with iron sights. I am guessing that only the factory can correct parallax adjustment ? The best group I shot was just over 1" by "splitting" the parallax error equally on each side, but that is not going to be working for me on what is typically a moving target. I shipped it back at my cost and have to see if they will credit the purchase price towards a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP scope.

I don't know if having corrected vision is a factor in experiencing issues with the scope parallax setting, but I do have to say that this is the first scope I have seen this with. I had no problem with a 2-7 Redfield, a 6x Weaver fixed, a Nikon 1-4 Monarch, nor the 2 side focus Monarch scopes I have (3-12 and 4-16). I guess I had higher expectations based on the "market" price for this scope ($500 original price).

Mine has adjustable parallax but I have had problems with glasses and scopes/sights. I now have an eye doctor who is also a shooter and he was able to make me a pair of glasses that work perfectly for shooting.

Based on my sample of one, I cannot fault the Minox optics, I shot it side by side with a MK4 Leupold last Sunday and the glass was just as good. I was easily able to read a light mirage to make wind calls with either scope.

I might offer that if parallax is causing that much trouble that your gun fit/shooting position/cheek weld is (are) less than ideal.

Bob

Westcliffe01

Bob, the problem at the range is that you have to shoot from their bench. You can't change the seat to bench top height and it was set up for average people, not guys who are 6'4. So I end up hunched over the rifle and cheek weld is certainly not ideal.

However, the parallax issue simply means that the target and reticle image planes are not aligned. A scope cannot accomplish its intended purpose as an aiming device if the point of aim moves 2" in any direction if you move your eye relative to the eyepiece. When a $150 scope is properly adjusted, I see no reason why a $500+ scope should not be. If the parallax is correctly set for 100 yards, it is relatively simple to shoot good groups if the rest of the equipment is in order.

chemist1

I have a 2-10X40 and the glass is great. I have shot it quite a bit at 100 yards and have not noticed any parallax. My only complaint is the turrets have a bit of lash as you change directions. I have dialed a little with this scope and it moves impact by the amount dialed but the turrets feel terrible. The scope holds zero from range session to range session with a little hunting mixed in on the side. I think it is a great hunting scope that offers excellent glass for the price (open box special price that is) but I would not have confidence in the scope if I was constantly cranking on the turrets. I like the glass, size, and weight enough that I will not sell the scope instead I will put it on a rifle and zero for maximum PBR and use it as a hunting scope.

I don't know if I just got lucky or what but my turrets are just as crisp as the M3 turrets on my MK4. I have heard the mushy turret complaint on other forums but I can't feel it on mine at all.

Bob

nsaqam

I can't feel it on mine either and it has shot the box a few times.

chemist1

I called Minox about the turrets and was informed by customer service that 1/4 moa lash in the turrets is within specs. My buddy also has a 2-10 with the same issue. He has not used his yet so I cannot talk about its tracking but mine tracks fine it just feels terrible. Overall I think it is a good scope with great glass just wish it had better turrets.

Senderofan

I purchased a Z5 4-20x about 1 1/2 years ago. I feel the glass is super clear/bright fpr the money. The only downside for me....the 1" tube and thus less internal adjustability. For the money....these scopes perform extremely well.....probably due to the german sourced glass. For me....this is a dedicated hunting rig.....thus the scope gets set and that's it....so this is a real high end performer for a mid priced scope.

Wayne

Shooter2112

I've got a Z5 3-15x42 plex reticle - I use it for a hunting scope on a 110-30/06 and I'm happy with it. No mushy turrets, no chromatic aberration, no parallax issues, no complaints really - and it's very bright considering the mid-300's I paid for it. Mounted in a DMZ one-piece medium mount. The glass quality is good - darn good for the price - I own a Monarch 5/20 44mm, a NF BR 8/42, Leupy LRT and an ERT and a Vortex ViperPST. Glass quality is closer to the Nikon. The Minox has been banging around in the Texas hill country for three years now without missing a beat.........