Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of us are reloading the 223 Rem. that we use in the Axis

Richard Giguere

How many of us are reloading the 223 Rem. that we use in the Axis

I purchased a Lyman turret loader. I have it all setup with the help of an old timer I met at the range. I think he felt sorry for this "newbie" and sort of took me under his wing, for that I m gratefull. I have re-loaded some V-Max 40 gr , and some Sierra 40 soft point, and some Sierra BK. Can anyone tell me what sort of sucess they have had with various bullets and loads etc. I would sure appreciate the input....
    Dick

Gmac5
    What twist barrel , how many rounds thru it?

Gmac5
    A good lite load is 53 gr siirra f b ,22-24 grn aa 2230 cci std pr. Seated touching or into lands about .010-.020
    Youll have to play with seating depth according to your throat. The flat base bullets allow a longer ,nearer bullet to land .

Richard Giguere
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    A good lite load is 53 gr siirra f b ,22-24 grn aa 2230 cci std pr. Seated touching or into lands about .010-.020
    Youll have to play with seating depth according to your throat. The flat base bullets allow a longer ,nearer bullet to land .
    Ahhh a new term for me already, what is "seated touching". Could that mean just barely into the cartridge and still maintaining the proper overall length..?

Richard Giguere
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Giguere View Post
    Ahhh a new term for me already, what is "seated touching". Could that mean just barely into the cartridge and still maintaining the proper overall length..?
    On another note, I tried to find 55 gr fb, can you give me more info .....

My Axis .223 is a 1-9 twist and it loves the Sierra 69gr HPBT PN 1380 seated at .030 off the lands with CFE223 and H4895 powder.
    It also likes the Nosler 80gr Custom Competition PN 53080 seated at 2.360 (NO SHORTER) with H335 powder

It does not like the 55gr FMJ...AT ALL, so I use these to "Dirty" the barrel before shooting the above

On all the above I use the Rem 7 1/2 BR primers.
    Last edited by fla9-40; 11-08-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Giguere View Post
    That means the bullet (ogive) Seated to a length that it will touch the lands. Also known as "Bullet Jump" Be real careful with that, pressure will rise tremendously if seated against the lands. Some guns like this, others does not. Mine likes the 69gr seated .030 of the lands.

M.O.A.
    bullet jump is the bullet off the lands as with yours fla9-40 is .030 jump then there is the other way jammed witch is jammed into the lands witch i dont see the need for this but a lot of bench shooters do this ???

like he said i have a stevens 223 (witch in all acount is the same barrel)and it loves the 68gn hornadays over 25gns of varget

Richard Giguere
    Well I got alot of good info from you guy's, and did much follow up on google along with the Lyman 49th edition. Thanks for all of the help.
    D.

Gmac5
    Richard ,the load i gave is very mild with the 53 gr flat base ,or 52 fb at or into the lands .they are the sierra matchking. If shooting for groups ,not hunting, As target bullets dont expand, the load i gave is mild and has been a performer in over 20 br rifles . This flat base bullet is great at 300 yds or less , an excellent 100 yd target load. Heavier bullets will work and there are some very good ones out , but if your trying to see how accurate your gun can be these fb are easier to develop a load for . They have been aroud the longest and are still used in bench rest.

mmatt
    I'm running 55gr Z-Max in front of 25.0gr of Varget. OAL is 2.255" using the Lee factory crimp die. At 100 yards, 5 shot groups are always under an inch with several under a half inch. As well, a couple times now I've gotten an honest (3 shot) quarter inch group.

Basic Member
    I don't have an Axis, but since it uses the same barrel as my Model 11 I will pitch in this much. The Savage barrels are 1:9 and will shoot most anything from 40 grains up to about 70 grains with good accuracy. Normally I shoot 50-55 grain bullets. My current loads are: 50 grain Nosler BT over 26 grains of Tac and a CCI 450 primer, and my cheap load is 55 grain Varmint Nightmare (Hornady) over 25.5 Tac and CCI 450 primer. Both shoot sub-moa as long as I can do my part.

Richard Giguere
    Well fellas, I was at the range yesterday and encountered some bit of difficulty. Some of the rounds were difficult to chamber and a couple of times the bolt was very difficult to pull back. I know there are several reasons for this. I will pay much more attention to the case trimming and neck sizing etc. However, I got some real good groups ( I think so anyway) for anew shooter. At 130 yards I was able to get consistent bullseyes. I was shooting 40 gr V-Max and a Benchmark 25.6 gr . Also shot some Sierra 40 HP Benchmark 26 gr which also did very well. I try to shoot 3 times a week, although the weather is getting colder, and the wind just come blowing through the building.

Richard you might already know this and if so I do apologize for repeating it but:

Just a reminder, if the brass was not shot from your rifle (or your shooting an semi-auto) you MUST full length size all brass. Neck sizing will not work.
    That is one reason for difficult to chamber rounds.

Richard Giguere
    Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    Richard you might already know this and if so I do apologize for repeating it but:

Just a reminder, if the brass was not shot from your rifle (or your shooting an semi-auto) you MUST full length size all brass. Neck sizing will not work.
    That is one reason for difficult to chamber rounds.

Frank thank you for the heads up, I was not aware of it until this very afternoon. So now I have decided to simply full length size all of my brass. I collect brass from other shooters and throw them in the same container. Not a big deal to re-size and it takes care of any issues. As always appreciate any input, thank you !!

I'm not Frank...But no problem! =

Amistoso
    I will start reloading real soon, in the meantime, im using Fiocchi Extrema .50gr VMAX rounds that are shooting quite well for factory ammo.

I have found Benchmark to work very well in my Axis. The best load to date is a 53 gr V-max over 26 gr of Benchmark. I seat the bullets about .01 off the lands and it shoots sub MOA at about 3200 fps. The terminal performance is excellent for varmints and fun to shoot at the range. The 53 gr V-max have a high BC for a bullet of that weight. I have to seat the bullet quite far out to get it this close to the lands and thus are not seated very far into the brass.

G

Mathias
    I have to wait until Christmas to get my reloading gear, but I've been collecting powder and bullets in anticipation. I have some 55gr flat base v-max and some 68gr HPBT match (trying to find load data for the 68gr) along with the good old standby 55gr FMJBT that will likely get pressed in as soon as my press is set up. I'd like to find a good consistent load using the heavier bullets (62-75gr)..

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I have to wait until Christmas to get my reloading gear, but I've been collecting powder and bullets in anticipation. I have some 55gr flat base v-max and some 68gr HPBT match (trying to find load data for the 68gr) along with the good old standby 55gr FMJBT that will likely get pressed in as soon as my press is set up. I'd like to find a good consistent load using the heavier bullets (62-75gr)..
    I use the Sierra 69gr HPBT and my gun loves H4895 (25.0) and SFE223 (25.0 also) Both of my loads are set to .030 off the lands. Any different and the groups widen up.

My shooting partner use the Hornady 68gr and his gun LOVES the H4895 at 25.0gr also.

Richard Giguere
    I use the Sierra 69gr HPBT and my gun loves H4895 (25.0) and SFE223 (25.0 also) Both of my loads are set to .030 off the lands. Any different and the groups widen up.

My shooting partner use the Hornady 68gr and his gun LOVES the H4895 at 25.0gr also.
    My loads are set at about 20 mi off the lands.................. ( pacific ocean ).

Basic Member
    Sierra 69's HPBT work great in my 1:9.

Same with 75 HPBT from hornady.

Mathias

cool, ill have to look for some H4895... so far i have a pound of varget and IMR4895 (which i know is NOT interchangeable with H4895). i wouldnt mind getting some Win748 as well, ive heard it meters well.

Basic Member

Lightbulb

Varget is another powder that works well with 68 or 69 grainers as well as 75 grainers. All my loads 55 grs and over are Varget. 26 Gr Varget with 69 grain bullets on top of a CCI 450 primer and oal .010 to ,020 off the lans. All of the 55 and 69 grainers shoot bugholes with this load.
    Last edited by Ranger3; 11-17-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: additonal information

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger3 View Post
    Varget is another powder that works well with 68 or 69 grainers as well as 75 grainers. All my loads 55 grs and over are Varget. 26 Gr Varget with 69 grain bullets on top of a CCI 450 primer and oal .010 to ,020 off the lans. All of the 55 and 69 grainers shoot bugholes with this load.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast