Thread: I had a router gone bad day.

Basic Member

I had a router gone bad day.

Bad day with the router. I hade a jig but did not drill pilot holes. Live and learn. >

Basic Member

Re: I had a router gone bad day.

Sorry, I am venting so more. Working on grinding the cheekpiece with a 4 ½ inch hand grinder and hit a void in the plywood. I fill it with superglue and Ironwood sawdust.

I really admire the talent of Bobfortier.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by RSG
    Bad day with the router. I hade a jig but did not drill pilot holes. Live and learn. >
    Thinking aloud in an attempt to help:
    Would a drill press with forstner bits, or a mortising machine work better than a router? Don't know...not sure.
    A. What about making another jig, just a little bigger so that you can smooth out the bumps?
    B. Can you fit a small oscillating spindle sander inside the holes?
    C. Can you make a drum thin enough to pass through the slots and use your drill press as a drum/spindle spindle sander?
    D. Cab tiy make some brass or wood laminate (rosewood?) faceplates for the holes and then inlay the faceplates to provide a clean outside hole, use a dremel to smooth out the interior (or simply paint the interior flat black...it is a wonder what flat black can hide when it is in the shadows!)

Basic Member

The title is a little deceiving....I though maybe you had a router go up in smoke.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bobfortier

Take a rasp inside the venting hole, it will smooth out the small bump. Also, the void in the plywood is something I get often, sometime you can sand it more to remove the layer with the void, or stain the stock a dark shade, it will hide it.

Really good work so far, and thanks for the comment !