Thread: Savage/Stevens Project Question

MikeMcC

Savage/Stevens Project Question

Hey Guys,

I'm starting/planning my second build on a Stevens 200 action. It's a long action centerfeed doner that will be converted over to a .260 Remington. The purpose of this rifle will be a general Texas hunting rifle (Deer, hogs, whatever needs killing).

I've already put in the GunShack 6.5 group buy for a 24" magnum contour barrel, but I'm having second thoughts. I've not been able to find any pictures of folks that have this barrel installed, and I'm worried because it's a LA/CF action that I won't be able to find something that will fit. That said, I purchased a Bell & Carlson Duramaxx stock and am hoping the gap won't be too unsightly.

I think I'm calling SSS to order a replacement trigger later this week, and get one of those single shot converter sleves so I don't have to deal with mag migration drama into that stock.

Anyone have any thoughts on this build? More importantly, anyone have any pictures of a E.R. Shaw Magnum contour barrel installed in a varmint channel stock?

Re: Savage/Stevens Project Question

It should be fine. If it doesn't work out just right for you it will be possible to sell any parts pretty easy in the classifieds ads. You will need to be a paid member to use it but its is well worth it. I do have a pic of a criterrion heavy mag 26" in a Boyd's thumbhole. A previous owner had already relieved the forearm area but there is no doubt the barrel is floating.

Basic Member

You shouldn't have any issues, I've read posts from a lot of guys that use long actions for .308's without problems.

I just ordered one of the varmint contours in 7-08.

MikeMcC

snowgetter1 - Thanks for the response. I guess my paid membership had lapsed, so I just re-upped. Thank you for pointing that out. Regarding your build, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. When you say he relieved the forearm area, are you saying the previous owner took more material out of the barrel channel? From the looks of it, that stock was meant for a varmint barrel in the first place, so I would be hard pressed to think it was required?

tobnpr - Thanks for the reply! I don't have any doubts on if I can build a short action cartridge off a long action. I've already got a 260 bench gun built off a long action as is, I'm more concerned about the look/fit of a magnum barrel in a stock designed for a varmint barrel; specifically how it would look on a duramaxx stock.

I know there are multiple folks out there running shaw magnum contour barrels, just can't find ANY pictures of them.

Mike,
    The stock was a standard sporter stock for a small diameter barrel. It was opened up a considerable amount. But, it had a good price on it and it works for me.

MikeMcC

Snowgetter: Looks great! You should be happy.

Anyone else got pictures of a magnum contoured Shaw? I KNOW there have to be some out there, and it's killing me that I can't find them.

Basic Member

I have several Duramaxx stocks with magnum contour barrels and they all look good, Trust me if they didn't I would be making changes I'm pretty anal about things like that.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

MikeMcC

sniper15545: I'll trade you my first born for a picture. I can't wait until mid-july to find out what it's going to look like. I don't suppose you have any pics, or could snap a quick one?

texaszach

Hey mikemcc please keep us posted on your build.

I also have a stevens long action centerfeed and am curious how youre build turns out.

Sounds like itll be a sweet rifle for texas hunting without a doubt.