Thread: By the way (Vortex Crossfire)

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

By the way (Vortex Crossfire)

My 8-32x Crossfire came back from Vortex for warranty repair. I put it back on my '06 and had a go of it.

Whatever they did worked & worked well. I fired over 150 rounds of my home rolled 180gr Nosler's with 54gr of RL-19.
    In spite of the kick these rounds produce, the scope worked very well. My hat's off to Vortex & their customer service dept. They had it back to me in 10 days & it's working flawlessly...... for now.

Lastly, it didn't cost me anything except for the heartburn when it initially broke.

Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member

Re: By the way (Vortex Crossfire)

Thanks for the update. It still has me thinking about a low end vortex to start out.
    David

Basic Member

Ya know David, I believe it's better than when I first bought it. The controls move alot smoother & on the repair ticket it mentions "cleaned".

Nice clear glass. On 32x I can see ants walking up & down a power pole on the next block. No exageration !
    Looking thru my Leupold VX2 & this Vortex I just got, I say it's very close on which is clearer & has better light capabilities & color rendition, etc. Much like most less expensive glass, it's a little dark on the higher magnification but I can live with it.
    I recommend it strongly. If I could, I'd go with the next model up for mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

Considering they're the new kid on the block, they have a helluva product & support.

If you get one, Enjoy

Frank in FLa

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla

Lastly, it didn't cost me anything except for the heartburn when it initially broke.

So Vortex paid the shipping both ways for the repair? I am finding that with the cost of shipping a "Lifetime" warranty isn't worth much if you have to spend $80 sending a $160 scope in for work two or three times.

150 rds of 180grn 30-06's in an afternoon?? To heck with Vortex, Frank, my hat's off to YOU!!! I used to consider 40-50 rounds from my '06 sporter, a good workout! 150??? Wow.

Have you ever considered something a little more sedate for high-volume shooting?? 6BR? 58 grainers from a .243? Hell, even a heavy .308???

Frank, you are DA MAN!

cgeorgemo

He said 150 rounds he didn't say in one afternoon...
    But if like you assume it was in one afternoon then I am in awe as well.
    The only way I'm doing that is with a Lead-Sled...

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    He said 150 rounds he didn't say in one afternoon...
    But if like you assume it was in one afternoon then I am in awe as well.
    The only way I'm doing that is with a Lead-Sled...
    Good point! I guess I missed that, and you're hopefully right, for 'ole Frank's sake!!

82boy

Whatever they did worked & worked well. Frank in Fla.
    From my experince with Vortex, they dont fix then they just send you a new scope.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Whatever they did worked & worked well. Frank in Fla.
    From my experince with Vortex, they dont fix then they just send you a new scope.
    I used to think that until my latest experience with my Viper. Accuracy went south so I sent it in to Vortex. Got it back a week later and the invoice showed it had a loose lens and messed up adjustable objective that was repaired.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I would imagine that they would repair the higher-end models, and maybe just replace the lower end ones. Just depends on what they deem to be profitable for them, or not.

I sent in a lower -end Burris Fullfied 2 a while back because I had smeared the objective lens coating thru improper cleaning. I sent it in with a note explaining exactly what I had done, and that I wanted it repaired or replaced even if they had to charge me. I got it back three weeks later, same scope, new objective lens, no charge. I was kinda surprised, both that they valued their lower end stuff enough to repair it, and that they did so for free, when the damage was due to my ignorance. For what it's worth, do not use Dawn dishwashing liquid, even heavily diluted, to clean your scope lenses.. DUH!!!

Basic Member

Maybe I may was off by few but..... It was 4 boxes of 50 each. Most were 180gr as that's the ones I like & have the most trouble with.
    I get to the range at 08:30 - Leave when they either throw me out or I get tired or it's closing time (5pm)

I don't go there to spectate. I go there to shoot.

Ya know..... Now that you mention it, maybe that's why I need surgery on my right shoulder now. I just had the left done back in Dec. My right shoulder has been going bad lately. I wonder.......

Basic Member

By the way 82boy - It sure looked like my old scope. The ticket said REPAIR, not replace.

Lastly, it had the same scratch I put in it, in the same place. I scratched it when I was putting it on the rifle the first time.