Thread: More coyotes.

Basic Member

More coyotes.

My friend got the "Come out & shoot the coyotes" call from a ranch we have been calling them on & have shot at least 7 on so far since we gained access 2 months back.
    He could not make it so I dropped into CO Saturday eve alone, made 4 sets before the sky opened up with rain/hail/lighting.
    This morning out & set up by 530 am in the spot rancher said he seen them the last few days....my luck was Zero.
    I move down the road, hide the truck behind a tirewall windbreak and counted 21 cottontail rabbits. Well no shortage of coyote food I think.
    I hike in about 1/3 mile from the backside of this spot we took 2 out of about 3 weeks back or so and saw at least 9.
    I set up and call for 10 min and decide to move into the open range field to a knoll....sure enough I got busted by one over that hill in the gully that was going downwind of me...he jettisons out of there and I dont bother to even try to shoot.
    I reset up with montanna decoy and using coyote vocals call for 15min and have to move due to cactus in my hands & arms and even with my moving a coyote comes in from downwind and all I see is neck & head at about 90 yards...darn I have to move very slow to lay back down and move the gun 2' to my right & hope it stays...it does, the call is on puppy frenzy at low volume.
    Boom...MISS! He busts right into plain open view and I drop it at 140 yards with my second shot on the run. He could of went back down the hillside & been safe!
    I go distress as I now see 3 coyotes in the next ranchers cattle yards, but no access there.
    Heck I get up & move 300 yards closer to pull them out into this side. I play everything for 30 min off & on. They dont budge out of the "safe" side, then I lose them all out there. Mirage is so bad all I see is waves at 100 yards to infinity in the scope.
    I decide to move when I see one laying in front of a water tank at 600 yards. Nothing has worked so I take the montanna decoy flip it open & hold it up for a few seconds like its moving around, then lay it down, & back up & lay it down. Coyote bust a beeline right for it (ME)...stops at the fenceline breaks to his left to go downwind...I lose it in the tall grass then see it again as it hits the fenceline trying to get my wind. I pop the decoy up & down everytime it looks my way. He is on a fast trot, comes under the fence at 300 yards..runs then slows to fast walk at 180 yards, heck any more and it will make my smell...WOOF, stops BOOM...thwap drops!
    3 different coyotes, 2 shot within 300 yards of each other from different directions and 2 more still out there.
    I have 2 drags and get them hook up for the 1/2 mile to the gate. So what do I see...those other 2 coyotes at 700 yards and Im thinking "Will I get 4 in the same area this morning?" I drop the drags, call to no avail, decoy trick dont work & they stay out of range for now.
    Savage 6x45 does it again!
    Dont let any "expert" tell you to call & run. I call & wait in this territory!

Basic Member

Re: Coyote Sunday

You're still knocking them down in May !!!! Well Done !!!

It's way to grown up here in the East, my area anyway, to see anything. No calling until fall.

Re: Coyote Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave
    You're still knocking them down in May !!!! Well Done !!!

It's way to grown up here in the East, my area anyway, to see anything. No calling until fall.
    Same here.

Good Shooting.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM