Thread: Possible cracked chamber

Exclamation Possible cracked chamber

I have a Axis 270 that has been splitting cases on me. I took it out shooting some old hand loads that my father in law gave me and afterwards while policing brass we noticed that there were a ton of split cases. The ammo was slightly corroded on the outside, but not badly enough to make me wary of shooting it. I later found out that the ammo had gone under in hurricane Katrina and had just been rinsed off after. I believe that the issue was that it was loaded to hot.
    With the issues I was having I went ahead and put a boresope down into the chamber and it appears that I have a crack in the neck. Has anyone heard of Savage barrels cracking or was my issue just a fluke? I am gonna clean the chamber up really well and look in it again to be sure.

EDIT: I cleaned up the chamber again to get it dry and cleaned the tips on the borescope. It made it much easier to see. I do not believe that the chamber cracked now. But there is a good burn mark in there from the cases breaking. I guess I need to break down that ammo and dispose of it all so no one accidentally shoots it and has the back of a case blow off.
    Last edited by cajunrebel; 01-01-2015 at 09:15 PM.

The cases are too hard as you have discovered. Probably been resized way to many times.