Thread: Brass annealing -

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Brass annealing -

Is it possible to anneal pistol brass? Not the kind of pistol round that resembles a rifle round like the larger calibers, I mean like 9mm and shorter brass.

I ask because I recently scored some once fired 9mm Federal brass at my local range. When I got home & started to process it, I found it was VERY brittle. Brittle as in approximately 1/3 of it had cracks near the case mouth. A few more had cracked when I ran it thru the sizing die. I ended up tossing the whole lot in the scrap bucket.
    I even pinched one with a pliers and it cracked with very little pressure. I've never encountered anything like this before.

I recall reading / hearing about annealing pistol brass unfortunately, I don't recall the particulars. (Middle age disease called CRS.... I'm sure y'all understand)... Anyone have anything on this?

Thanks - Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Re: Brass annealing -

Sounds kinda risky to me, Frank. I'd steer clear of that. Too hard to keep the head/web area from going soft, it would seem, although I readily admit to having absolutely zero experience with pistol brass annealing, only rifle. I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in??

MrMajestic

I have a Bench Source and I am sure it could be done. Its all heat, time and, for that short of a case, flame direction! As was said you would have to be very careful not to get the base too hot. Maybe the pan of water method would be more forgiving.

Basic Member

Believe me guys, I never said I'd try it.... Too risky & too easy to overheat the case head. Just looking to satisfy a little curiosity and wondering about why those particular cases were sooo brittle.

Usually, Federal brass if kinda sorta soft. Soft enough to where if you load a little on the hot side it'll stretch open the primer pocket & you can feel it in the FS die when you run it thru.

These 9mm cases I was given at the range were like nothing I'd ever encountered. I squeezed one of them with my pliers and it cracked with a very distinct sounding "SNAP". While I had squeezed... (was squeezing?... squoze?...) applying pressure to the case WITH pliers, it was making a snap, crackle & pop noise. It crumbled as I had squozen it.

ANyway..... They'll help fill the scrap brass can & keep the "defense" fund flowing with much needed resources. I notice materials are going up...... again, in my area anyway. H4831 is up to $32 / lb.

It just kills me to have to toss 250 once fired Federal cases in the can. :'(

Gotta go load a few up. Headed to the range early to beat the heat.
    See y'all later -

Frank in Fla.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla
    (Middle age disease called CRS.... I'm sure y'all understand)... Anyone have anything on this?
    Thanks - Frank in Fla
    Yup, I've got that same disease as well. Fortunately it doesn't affect my shooting...if I can remember where I put my rifles.

I wonder if that brass was really only once loaded. Maybe with really hot loads? I have shot and reloaded for bullseye (.32S&WLong and .45acp) and would simply shoot the brass until it cracked. But with the reduced target loads, I didn't lose a lot of brass. We'd reload .45 ammo what seemed like countless times, but we had so much, we never actually tracked it, so I have no idea of it averaged 3, 4, or 40 reloads before the typical case cracked. Maybe a really hot load and an oversized chamber might have done your brass in? Also, I don't know if the manufacturers anneal pistol brass during the manufacturing process. Rifle brass is often annealed during manufacturing (so I have heard, at least...can't actually confirm) but don't know about pistol brass.

Those are simply my random thoughts, nothing definite, no hard and fast answers to your question. Hopefully you have a good scrapman who will give you a reasonable price for your scrap brass.

All the best,

Basic Member

I ruined several pieces of brass the way.

My advice, don't.

Basic Member

I think I like Terry's idea the best.... DON'T!

I'm quite sure the cases in question were new. The guy next to me was having all kinds of trouble since this was his first time at a pistol range so, I helped the guy out. I watched as he opened up 4 new boxes of Fed 9mm 115gr round nose. I asked for the brass & he said sure.... take it. I noticed right off while gathering it up, it felt different & some were already cracked from the case mouth down toward the head about 1/2 way. All I can figure - factory QC was stoned that day?

I usually look for Federal brass for my 9mm as my Glock seems to like it the best & it loads the 147gr. Hornady XTP's nicely.

I guess just chalk it up as one of those things.... Carefully look at any brass you scavenge from the range.

Frank in Fla.