Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with Burris tactical rings and bases

Re: Need help with Burris tactical rings and bases

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth
    Their bases... so how could they get them "wong"?

I don't have them to look at further, but here are my "thoughts"...

> What are the differences between the “Picatinny” and the “Weaver” systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical (Depending only on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile). The key difference is in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206” wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true “Picatinny” MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next.

> If they do not align on the bore axis on one side, it is geometricly not possible for it to do so on the otherside. The ONLY way you can have it work that way is to have a rail which is NOT symetrical. This is NEVER true with either the Picatinny OR Weaver rails - they are, but design, symetrical in the profile. (see above). I cannot find a single reference on their specs which contradicts that.

Maybe you can prove me wrong? ???
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

I'm not out to prove anything. Just to share my opinion and some information.

#1- Every manufacturer maintains different tolerances, even with the same design specification. XTR's are not precision machined by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are their bases.

#2- I never said or meant to imply that the rails were ever made non-symmetrical. When I was talking about the base being centered over the bore, I was saying that it was possible that the action was not drilled for the bases centered above the bore. It's not uncommon for them to be drilled slightly off.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

larrys1911

Im running low Burris XTRs and EGW rails on 6 different Savage rifles. They offer plenty of clearance with up to 50mm obj and a Varmint barrel even with flip caps my one medium XTR is on a long action with 20 MOA rail 50mm and varmint barrel and just as soon as I have the extra 50$ im going to change it to low rings. IIRC I think I have a little over 1/4 inch clearance after the caps are installed.

Larry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12