Thread: Package nikon scope

Package nikon scope

What model Nikon scope comes with the Trophy packages?Is it a Prostaff or some model just for savage.How good of scope is it?

Basic Member

Re: Package nikon scope

It looks like the new model ProStaff. I will let you know, as mine is due in Saturday. I ordered a left hand .223 for predator/varmint use.

leo158

Prostaff

Nikon ProStaff is a really good scope for the price. NRA's American Hunter magazine gave it a big thumbs up. The one I have with the BDC reticule is as good or better than most scopes I have had in the last few years including the Vortex Viper.

Basic Member

I also have a Nikon Prostaff BDC in 3-9 x 40. It is a great scope for the money, and a very good scope for a package rifle!

dnsmith

prostaff is a very decent scope. obviously you pay for what you get. prostaff is not going to be as bright or clear as a leupold vx3 (or even a vx2 to my eye), and vx3 is not going to be as bright or clear as a higher line $$$ swarovski or zeiss, and then you start getting into the Leicas, etc. what I like about a prostaff is, even if it isn't the brightest or clearest, it's a solid performer. it won't internally fog, its reasonably durable, it will hold zero, and the adjustment clicks are reasonably precise. in other words, if you put it on a gun and sight it in, it ought to stay put and be very reliable.

Would you want to risk being laughed at by an elk for having a pro-staff ? ;D
    it is a Nikon and as long it hold zero and you are not getting a black eye from shooting your 300 ultra mag with it, I say go for it.
    newbie from gr, mi.

EVOC ONE

Quote Originally Posted by dnsmith
    ... prostaff is not going to be as bright or clear as a leupold vx3 (or even a vx2 to my eye), ...
    ... or a Bushnell Sportsman, Banner or Legend & Simmons .44 Mag (old style). Speaking from experiance.

Disclaimer: I have two Pro Staff's and have had no problems or issues other than the lens' not being as clear as they probably should be.

EVOC ONE

Basic Member

The new Prostaff series is much improved over the original series. I have one in 2-7 on a Contender carbine and it is very much clearer than the 3-9 Prostaff on my muzzleloader. It also has fast focus and finger adjustable turrets.

Basic Member

I just got home from the gun shop and the scope is the early model Prostaff with the BDC. It is worth keeping. I don't know of many other package scopes that are worth having. BTW, my out the door price on the Trophy Hunter XP was $525. That is only $20 higher than the Savage 11FL that I bought new four years ago without scope.

95silverstallion

I have a model11 TH XP on its way. I'll update you guys on what scope comes on it. Its says Nikon 3-9x40 BDC. Whether its a prostaff I dont know?

dmpowder

As LHitchcox already stated it is the early model Prostaff. I already own the scope and the only thing that differs from the box Nikon is the Prostaff symbol is not on the wind. cap and it does not have the Nikon prostaff 3x9 markings on the objec ring. Oh and does not come with scope caps like the box Nikon does.

It is worth keeping if you need another scope or you can sell it to help offset the cost of the rifle. Easily sell them for $125

D.ID

I have used the pro staff on the my 300WSM, 270, 223. No problems. Decent scopes for the low end.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

A Prostaff 4 - 12x sits proudly atop my '06.

It replaced a Vortex Crossfire that has given me nothing but trouble.

I used the Prostaff on Sunday. Very nice glass, indeed. Adjustments are spot on & zero hold is excellent.

I only paid $189 at the local Walmart.

I wish I had known the Nikon products were of such quality. I wouldn't have wasted my time & money on the Crossfire.

Enjoy. Truly a nice scope.

Frank in Fla/
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

95silverstallion
    Just got my Model 11 TH XP. The Nikon scope doesnt say Prostaff on it. Also if you go into the Nikon "Spot On" calculator on their website and choose a scope to get your ranges its has a scope called "Savage Trophy Hunter Package." Maybe its an older version of the Prostaff like otheres have said but mine doesnt say Prostaff on it. I havent shot the rifle yet but the scope seems to be decent enough for a more entry level start-up such as myself.

From what I see on Nikon's website, the Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC is listed as a rimfire scope with a 50 yard parallax setting. http://www.nikonhunting.com/products...-_BDC_150/6725 They also list a Buckmasters 3-9x40 BDC and hopefully that's the one that comes with the Trophy Hunter package. http://www.nikonhunting.com/products...C_RETICLE/6421
    Don

95silverstallion
    See my post above.

I have since been to the range and I will say the Nikon scope looked good and performed admirably for a sub $150 scope.