Thread: auto powder measure

auto powder measure

I'm looking to upgrade to a measure scale combo, just curious what all you guys use. I know the the big ones RCBS, Hornady, Lyman. Also saw a smart reloader brand. Does anybody have experience with these?
    Thanks

Jared
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

thomae

Re: auto powder measure

There is a Lyman on the for sale board right now. I can't comment on quality as I don't use an auto powder measure myself, but seems to be a good price and a name brand.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,50316.0.html

Thanks.
    I guess I'll add this question. I currently use a magnetic scale, and am just looking at upgrading. I weigh out every charge, wanting to go a little faster, but still want good accuracy. Would the proper upgrade be one of the measures/scale combos, or just a good scale and trickler? Thanks for the help guys great sight!!!

RCBS Charge Master is currently the best rated by forum site users for set up and speed.

Both methods work. The early auto dispensers were slower then most of us could dump and trickle. The newer ones are are about even for time, but while it is dumping I am seating a bullet.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I have a Lyman DPS-II that I have used for about 5 or so years and quite a few rounds. It has been back 1 time for a rebuild the first year I had it. Lyman fixed it and no trouble since, until lately it seems to bind up and slows down then frees up and works fine. I am about ready to send it back again, I do like it and it is accurate. My son bought a Smart Reloader one as a back up and it was on sale. The first one we had just about ended up as a target it would not setup or hold where it was set. I sent it back and they sent me another one and I am using it now. I have loaded about 1500 or so rounds with it. It is a pain to set up but it is fast although I don't think it is as accurate as my Lyman, but part of that could be me. If you set it up to be really accurate it slows it up a lot, the way I have it set now it will throw one .1 or.2 high every now and again. The way I do it is watch the scale & when it does this dump it in the RCBS 505 and check it . I do not use the memory for loads in either one I have as it is too much trouble to set up.

cgeorgemo

I have the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and I'm very happy with it. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it has never given me any trouble.

Basic Member

I am using an RCBS Chargemaster combo. Works great and has allowed me to increase the number of rounds I can load in a session. Less time reloading, more time shooting. ;D
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Both methods work. The early auto dispensers were slower then most of us could dump and trickle. The newer ones are are about even for time, but while it is dumping I am seating a bullet.
    That's what i'm looking to do, not become a "factory", but push a button then seat while us dumping. Great information guys. Thanks. The local gunship here has acquired an old rcbs powder measure of sorts. In good shape, he says it looks like hardly been out of box. What is a good price for one?

the "old" ones, were a 2 speed dispenser made by Pact. Don't ever drop the scale! They brake easy and were $79 to fix. The dispenser upgrade you can price by looking them up on the pact site. Half price of what a new model would cost?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

cgeorgemo

For the chargemaster combo (scale and dispenser) I'd say around $200 to $250 used in good shape would be a fair price.

Basic Member

Im on my second rcbs chargemaster combo. 1 st one lasted 1.5 years and died. Cost about $45 plus shipping to send to rcbs. They sent a shiny new one in its place. My 2nd one, now 1.5 yr old, started acting up the other day. When I hit dispense it would spin about a quarter turn and stop. Turned unit on and off several times with same results. I seperated the scale from the dispenser and when I put it back together it worked properly.

The 2nd scale is better than the 1st IMO. On the 1st scale I needed to push dispense on every charge. The 2nd one starts dispensing automatically when the unit zeros back out after replacing the powder dish.

Technology is great when it works. Rcbs CS was great when it didnt. Just have a backup for the time in between.

Love my RCBS Chargemaster!!!

308law

I also have the RCBS Chargemaster, it works great, I like the ability to have exact powder charges on every load but still have the speed of a powder measure, i like powder measures, and they are faster but not quite as precise. mine has never given so much as a hiccup.

seanhagerty

I have a smart reloader. Works great. The directions that come with it are a bit weak. They have a website that has videos showing how to et it up that are way better.

I use it to throw plinker loads and to throw just short of precision loads and then trickle up to the desired weight. I think I spent $160 on it. I would buy it again.

Sean

lostart

Re: Re: auto powder measure

I have the rcbs and like it a lot. I have also used the hornady which I also liked. This one has an overcharge beep that is really handy versus the light on the rcbs. But I also got many more overcharges with the hornady which slows things a bit. Over all both are great but the hornady is much cheaper.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2