Thread: The wait is over!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Savage

The wait is over!!!!!!!!!!!

The long wait is finally over, got my colorado elk tag. Now the work begins. Need advise from the pro's. I will be going in on horseback so we have to keep it as light as possible. First season rifle so ill be there Oct 13-17. The guide has all the camping gear we need, just need a few more personal things. This is my first big game hunt so i need a little push.
    1.i have a 110E in .270 and a 444. Im meticulous about my shooting, i know 270 is plenty but thinking of a rebarrel to a 30-06 or 7RM. I have shot the 7mm and dont have any problems with the added recoil.(been shooting the 444 for a long time).
    2.Bring 2 guns or 2 scopes with quick detach mounts, just in case (pre-sighted of course and leaving the 444 home)
    3.Gear suggestions, been looking at Teton sports sleeping bags, any thoughts?
    any favorites for base layers
    i ordered a pair of Kenetrek boots, cant wait for them to get in, and a pair of gor-tex hikers
    I got a sweet lightweight day pack
    bought a leica range finder, my cousin has the binoculars
    I have about 1k left in the gear budget any and all help really appreciated

thomae
    Congratulations! Huzzah!

Instead of a light day pack...would a pack and frame be better suited for carrying out the meat?

skypilot
    Congrats. I wish you success and a great memory making trip. Here's my dos centavos:

Get in shape for skinny air and lot's of walking.
    Get familiar with your gun and what it is going to do at altitude ballistically. Such as zero and trajectory at low temps, high altitude(relative to your home range)

Make sure new boots are nearly worn out before arriving in Colorado. I like two pair of socks, one wicking pair and wool pair.

Take the .270 and a spare scope.

Wear NO cotton next to skin. I use wool then Under Armor then fleece over that with good outerware(for cold and rain/sleet)

I recommend a Eberlestock Gunrunner daypack/backscabbord style or one of their other models. Excellent style kit, gun is easily accessable and it leaves both hands free to climb.
    A good easily operated camera (by you, the guide, whomever) and we want to see lots of pics.

which unit did you get? congrats, I got mine for 1st rifle.
    God knows what the temps will be like during Oct 13-17,
    last year I went for 2nd rifle, and it was 40s sunny during the day, 20s during the night, 3 days came a winter storm, -20 to -10 and snow (12 to 24 inchs), so dress in layers.
    I found that being from the flats in MI, being light as possible helps a lot for those weak lungs,
    Also leg warmers, yes, sounds funny, but my shins and ankles were COOOOOOOOOOOLD.
    Socks: one tight fitting hiking wool sock and another winter sock if your boots have space. anyway +2 on wearing your boots before heading out there. also take more than 1 pair of boots.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Team Savage
    unit 156

i thought 2 scopes were the better choice

the boots will be well worn before i get there

i have some under armour and fleece and more socks than i know what to do with
    what about rain gear?

skypilot
    Yes, as I mentioned light weight rain/sleet gear. Helly Hansen Impertech is good but you must be careful and not sweat in them as they don't breath like goretex.
    Get some goretex gaitors to keep the rain from running off your pants into you boots. Waterproof gloves (2 pair) and hat are a must as you may need to sleep in them in addition to keeping you fit to take a shot while glassing or waiting for the bull to reappear.
    A Petzel head lamp is a must, and a handfull of clothespins and a short length of rope for drying gear if needed.

Just keep in mind Oct. is a transition month and weather could change within the hour.

Just a word on gear selection. Don't focus too much on what guides wear/use as they are aclimated to the altitude and weather. You will want lightweight gear that works for you and that is the most important factor aside from footwear and being physically fit.
    Last edited by skypilot; 07-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.

U need everything in light and heavy
    Hat, needs to be orange, ask how I know
    Rain gear, I have a surplus gortex unlined bottom and top, band at ankle to keep snug against boot.
    I will post a link to my from last year.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I always take 2 rifles, some days I walk and some days I sit and glass meadows, so one is usually a sporter barrel and the other a heavy barrel, but the main reason is because crap happens.
    Terrain in CO is rough, 2 years ago I slipped off a rock and banged the scope hard, put a ding in the end of the scope and tweaked the mounts, lucky for me I had the spare, got to keep on hunting without making noise and burning up ammo resighting the rifle.

Mike

Team Savage
    thanks for all the info. got some serious shopping to do yet.

Basic Member
    Something that no one has mentioned is that a ton of the gear depends on what the unit is like. I've never heard of unit 156, and I couldn't find it anywhere, are you sure that its not 56 or 561 or 15? I live in Grand Junction, and first seasons in the past can range from 80's all the way to a foot of snow... south of grand junction is unit 40 its really dry, hot, and low but a great trophy unit. East of Grand Junction is the grand mesa, Wet, cold, and high. So I would check into the unit more. Also the rut has been hitting very late in Colorado the past 5 years, the DOW moved all the seasons back a week last year and it was still not enough. So I would keep that in mind. Good Luck and have fun

Team Savage
    lol my bad its 56. dont know were the 1 came from. My cousin has hunted it before and he said the same. the weather is very erratic there. so i need to pack for it all

nuclabuyer
    I would say the biggest thing is being in shape and being comfortable. When you go with a guide, a lot of them want you to feel that you got you money out of it so that take you a lot of places and take you deep where no one else goes. They do this all the time so they dont notice when you have had enough so make sure not to over do the first couple days and ruin the hunting trip. I took some guys from LS hunting and one guy wanted to go with a guide and he was so tired after the 2nd or 3rd day, I didnt know if he was going to make it the rest of the hunt.

Team Savage
    im doing the best i can on the treadmill and bike in between work. i got 4 miles down -1 hour on a fast walk/jog 4x a week. 9 weeks to the day till i leave.