Thread: Colorado Elk

Basic Member

Colorado Elk

Hello,
    I am looking for recomendations for muzzle loading elk hunt in Colorado for the fall of 2013 for 2 hunting buddies and myself.
    We all have 3 pref pts and have applied for a 4th, so tags should not be an issue.
    We have hunted elk 3 x's in Colorado,2 north of Kremmlin and once by Gleenwood springs.
    All times were do it yourself.
    We would like to stay out of CWD areas, below tree line, and do not plan on it being fully guided.
    I am looking any references or recommendations for a drop camp, private property and or National Forest ground, but our funds are limited for the cost involved. WE do not expect this to be free by any means, but it should be reasonable.
    We have planned on 4x4 truck, set up camp, and walk in to hunt, or drive to pick up point if it is a horse drop camp.
    I also have a 10x14 canvas wall tent, or a pop up camper, if need be.
    Other than Craigs list and the internet, all I can do is talk to game wardens or biologists and then google earth for a terrain idea.
    I have seen Magnus 5 on the internet, and a couple of others, just not sure of what to expect, they are trying to get MY BUSINESS after all.
    ANY INFORMATION would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks to all.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member

Re: Colorado Elk

I haven't been, but reports are that the herd is pretty good in the the flat tops area near Yampa.

I'm psyched I drew my tag in 4 this season. Now I can start shooting with a reason.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

clambdin

Re: Colorado Elk

If you are interested in hunting the flat tops unit 24, drop me a PM and I will try to help you out I have hunted the area alot from drop camps and can recommend a couple of outfitters !

Basic Member
    I live in Craig which apperently we call the "elk hunting capitol of the world". the herds around here are pretty healthy and make for some fun hunting. I had a few buds go down to the Grand Junction area by the flat tops and they shot a nice 7x8. Where exactly do you plan on hunting at?
    They can run, but they'll only die tired.

Basic Member
    We were looking for gmu 61, however I have found out it takes 13 prefrence points to recieve a muzzle loader tag, so
    areas 551, 681, 68, or maybe 55.
    24 is a cwd area, and we would prefer to stay out of those areas.
    Thanks

Basic Member

area 62

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    We were looking for gmu 61, however I have found out it takes 13 prefrence points to recieve a muzzle loader tag, so
    areas 551, 681, 68, or maybe 55.
    24 is a cwd area, and we would prefer to stay out of those areas.
    Thanks
    Also, we are seriously looking at area 62 sw along area 61, easier to get a tag.

Fly boy
    I haven't shot muzzleload season, but I can tell you it all depends on the weather, and where you are hunting. I have been several times near steaboat springs, and above Boulder CO. If weather is warm Tree line (High up) is where they like it more. On the other hand, I have been chasing elk up and down the Mountain when a storm is coming in because they were moving down.

Just be aware of the month you are going, and the weather that you might encounter. PREPARE for it all!!! Also, they are 3x's heavier then deer... make sure you have a way to pack it out if you are hiking in somewhere.

nuclabuyer
    62 is pretty much a waist due to the amount of people. There is certainly elk there, but 62 is slammed with archery tags. If I were you I would look at unit 70 in the Lone Cone area. We have killed way more elk there and alot of hunters dont like it because it is so steep. You wont have nearly the amount of competition in that area. Alot of people hunt 62 with success so I am not trying to say it is a complete waist. But you better be ready to either get lucky or you are going to have to hike way in to get away from all the hunting pressure. Moore Mesa and Trevors Mesa are pretty good area's for 62. Love Mesa area is full, and way over hunted.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input.
    I see in Colorado DOW web site that area 62 has a lot of hunters.
    I will look into 70 some more.
    Thanks again !

nuclabuyer
    I would look around the lone cone area, like beaver park etc. You will see alot more elk and alot less people. At least that is what I see when I go hunting. Good luck on the hunting trip, you might start doing some walking because it is high in altitude and pretty steep to get started. Elevation should be around 7-10k depending on where you want to hunt.