Thread: 7-08 Range trip (pics up)

Basic Member

7-08 Range trip (pics up)

Beautiful day for the range-65*, barely any breeze, nobody but my wife and I for 90 minutes. Did a rough zero with my 7-08 build at 200 yards on a 4" steel circle. Took some estimated hold-over shots at a groundhog shaped plate at 500 and was a few inches right. Corrected and that beautiful feedback "whomp" let me know it was a hit. No shooting for groups, just trying to get the barrel shot in. I'm very pleased so far especially for using PPU ammo. In order to really get this shooting to potential I need a 20-25 MOA base to be able to dial elevation, a better scope (Sightron SII 4-16 1/8" click duplex currently mounted), and more range time. Pictures added when I get home. Time for 200 yards clay birds and a .22.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss50/hersh5317/1225d3b3.jpg[/img]
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss50/hersh5317/9f426b92.jpg[/img]

And on the way home I picked up a reloading manual and shell holder. Need scale, case prep small tools and lube yet. I have press and dies. Will be asking questions in reloading area before too long.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

klayton83

Re: 7-08 Range trip (pics up)

mine shoots pretty good with the 120 gr nosler ballistic tip with 45.5 gr varget (MAX). that is my low recoil round for my wife to shoot and hunt with. ( thats what im thinking you built this for if the wife is shooting too.) mine also likes the 130 sierra matching with 43.5gr varget. i am currently waiting for midway to send me some 140 gr BERGER VLD. those are going to increase my max effective range to right at like 550 for white tail. mine has an 18 in barrel from sss. and a wood stock.

Basic Member

Actually my wife prefers rimfires. The .223 Howa I have recoils enough for her, and the 7-08 "hits hard" for her. At 5'4", she's a little recoil sensitive but we are working on building up her tolerance slowly. She loved hitting the ram at 500 with the .223 and wants to go again. The downside is I have a nice .22 that I have to ask permission to shoot if she is with me, but is that really a downside? I actually built it for 500+ yard varmints and am thinking about sticking with 140gr bullets for better ballistics out that far, but if I can get the 120's to shoot noticeably more accurate, I may load them instead. The quest for the perfect load for this rifle will be a joy. My wife and I both shot 20 rounds through it today. She refuses to hunt, so if she gets her own centerfire it will probably be my Howa or build her a Savage .223 fast twist. If I really get into handloading, I may consider a 6BR for myself and give her the Howa. I also have an 8 year old son with a mild interest, so you never know.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

ellobo

The family that shoots together stays together, or something like that. And take the kid fishing.

El Lobo

klayton83

my wife loved shooting my 22-250. we would get produce that had gone bad from a friend and she loved to watch it explode. then i made that rifle into a 6mm br and she really loves it.