Thread: Search has failed me

Basic Member

Search has failed me

Was there ever a SF LA with a round back?

Re: Search has failed me

yes. In the first couple years of the accutrigger they were round back staggerfeeds. Then Savage switched to the centerfeed.

I want to say 2003-2006, but I could be wrong. 82boy should see this in a bit and correct me if i am wrong.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

I am starting another build to give my ole 6.5x55 tube a home (parted out my SS last year). This time I am going to run it as a repeater in an XLR chassis. I was thinking the stagger feed may be better for mags, but I hobbled myself with one of the $30 EGW 25moa bases, which are round back only.... hence the question.

Since the stock, mag box, and barrel are all going to be changed out, is there really a benefit to running a SF over the CF?

I am seriously kicking around the idea of buying a 111LRH in .338LM, parting it out keeping the action alone (would need large shank barrel at that point). I love the LA with target port, but I can't seem to find any bolt heads that match the lug dimensions of the .338/WSM, but for a round in the .475 family.. is there anything for doing the conversion, or maybe something in the WM/RUM family?

If that doesn't work out, I am thinking a CF LA. There is some question when going to the larger/heavy hitting calibers on the small shank. IF the swede works out, I may be looking to go further with my LR play time, and bump to .338RUM or .338 Edge. I have seen a bunch of internet rhetoric about running these rounds in the small shank, but can't find a reputable source on wither it's safe/advised to run the heavier calibers with the small shank actions.

There is a 7mm WSSM large shank sitting at the local pawn for $428.xx. Is it safe to assume the WSSM rifles had the same magazine openings as the other short actions, or did Savage do anything extra to accommodate longer rounds than the .308 family?

Yeah, I am all over the map on this one... it's late and next week is finals so my brain is FRIED!

Basic Member

I would talk to Fred Moreo at SSS about the bolt head question. If anyone can get a custom bolt head, he can get it done.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Werewolf

The older Stevens 200 are also staggered feed round back, I have two in use right now.

If you are building a LA in 338 Edge or RUM or a WSM caliber just use a standard Magnum Bolt head for the LA. As far as Shank size you can safely build just about anything on a small shank with the exception of the 338 Lapua Mag. Many folks here have built WSM's, RUM's, SAUM's and even the mighty 338 Edge on small shank barrels/actions without any issues.

There is a 7mm WSSM large shank sitting at the local pawn for $428.xx. Is it safe to assume the WSSM rifles had the same magazine openings as the other short actions, or did Savage do anything extra to accommodate longer rounds than the .308 family?
    Never knew there was a 7 WSSM. I guess somebody probably wildcatted it at some point. Never knew Savage ever made any rifle for a WSSM. I have seen plenty of WSM Savages which is what I am going to assume you meant . If it is a WSM gun, then it should be a short action with a Large shank, and will have a WSM magazine and SA-Magnum bolt head. Some of the factory WSM rifles were Push feed bolt heads and some were Controlled Round Feed bolt heads so check that out. As far as ejection port and the magazine opening, they should be the same as every other Short Action.

204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

Thanks, the clarity of my typing is failing... been knocking out 20+ page term papers for the past two weeks... summer is two easy finals away now.. Insha'Allah.

The rifle was 7mm WSM (lacking the second S and the shorter case). I think the best bet at this point is to just find myself a CF LA, as I read the mag ports are just a hair larger, and build off that.

Thanks for the reply.... sleep time.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    If you are building a LA in 338 Edge or RUM or a WSM caliber just use a standard Magnum Bolt head for the LA. As far as Shank size you can safely build just about anything on a small shank with the exception of the 338 Lapua Mag. Many folks here have built WSM's, RUM's, SAUM's and even the mighty 338 Edge on small shank barrels/actions without any issues.

Never knew there was a 7 WSSM. I guess somebody probably wildcatted it at some point. Never knew Savage ever made any rifle for a WSSM. I have seen plenty of WSM Savages which is what I am going to assume you meant . If it is a WSM gun, then it should be a short action with a Large shank, and will have a WSM magazine and SA-Magnum bolt head. Some of the factory WSM rifles were Push feed bolt heads and some were Controlled Round Feed bolt heads so check that out. As far as ejection port and the magazine opening, they should be the same as every other Short Action.