Thread: . 308 Win. 168 Berger Hybrids with Varget and Lapua Brass

Bamboolongbow

. 308 Win. 168 Berger Hybrids with Varget and Lapua Brass

Has anybody used the Berger 168 Hybrids? What successes have you had?

I am shooting an old 110 tactical with a 1 in 10 and looking for a great 1000yd load.

jeffreyC

Re: 168 Berger Hybrids with Varget and Lapua Brass

Caliber ?

If for a .308 168 grain bullets are light for 1000 yards.

Re: 168 Berger Hybrids with Varget and Lapua Brass

Berger's have always(for me) required WAY to much fiddling with, to be accurate at 1K. On the other hand, the 175 SMK's are very easy to shoot accurately out there; IMO.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Bamboolongbow

Re: . 308 Win. 168 Berger Hybrids with Varget and Lapua Brass

It is my understanding the Berger Hybrids are more forgiving. I was hoping someone had some first hand knowledge.

To light? What about the guys shooting 155.5 Palma?

I think the palma shooters are using a 1 in 13 twist with 30 inch barrel. My guess is they stay supersonic using that twist and barrel length. With the 1/10 twist 175 SMK is what I would try.

The hybrids are supposed to be more forgiving than regular Bergers.
    Basically they use the front end(ogive) of a SMK, and the back end(boat tail) of a classic Berger.

Can you shoot 1K with a 155 Palma? Of course you can. People TEND to use the heavier stuff, because the wind won't push them around as much. Also they won't kick as hard as a 175 & heavier. IME the F-class boys tend to be a little sissy-fied when it comes to kick, but I suppose different strokes....
    If kick WAS NOT an issue, everyone would use the 300WM and 210gr bullets.

As long as you are super-sonic to 1K, anything will work. Just a matter of doping the wind, and getting your drop tables in order.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

jeffreyC

Also the Palma rules do not allow a heavier bullet, only military issue bullet weight.

Bamboolongbow

I used to shoot the Hornady 178 HPBT Match bullets with get success in my Savage 110.
    I was gifted a 25 185 Berger VLD's and could not get them to shoot. That is when I posted and asked for the input on load and OAL.

Today I shot the 168 Berger Hybrids, and man do they shoot. I loaded them .030 off of the lands and a half a grain under max the hybrids appear to be forgiving as far a jump.

jimincfalls

155.5 Fullbore Target

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboolongbow View Post
    I used to shoot the Hornady 178 HPBT Match bullets with get success in my Savage 110.
    I was gifted a 25 185 Berger VLD's and could not get them to shoot. That is when I posted and asked for the input on load and OAL.

Today I shot the 168 Berger Hybrids, and man do they shoot. I loaded them .030 off of the lands and a half a grain under max the hybrids appear to be forgiving as far a jump.
    how is your load development going?

I played around with Berger's 155.5 Fullbore target bullet in my Rem700 .308 Winchester. With IMR 8208 XBR, I was able to get good groups at 100 yards with velocities in the 2940 fps range out of an Obermeyer 26" barrel. After reading some of German Salazar's articles over at the riflemansjournal.blogspot.com, I'm changing over to the Berger 168 hybrid to make sure the bullets are hitting mach 1.2 at 1000 yards.

Brian Litz, designer of the Berger hybrids, recommends starting .015 off the lands, though he mentions the hybrid (tangent/secant) ogive will allow you to seat the bullets up to .060 off. Thus making them less jump sensitive than the vlds.

I'm not a Palma shooter (I'm getting into f class), but current USA rules don't have a bullet weight limit. International Fullbore Rules, however, do.

Basic Member
    I just loaded 6 of these with 46 grains of Varget, BR-2 primer, Lapua brass(trimmed at 2.00), COAL of 2.840 and they shot .771 out of a Hog Hunter in the Crap Plastic stock. These were rounds 24-29 out of gun. Brass was trimmed for kids Palma rifle just used some of her brass to see what they would do for you. Seems like they work pretty good.