Thread: First Blood

Dogbone

First Blood

Finally got the opportunity to harvest a ghog with the Savage Venture in 223. First of the season. I bought this gun early Fall last year, but did not get the change to take it to the field.

Went back to the farm where I got skunked yesterday. Only this time I spotted one almost immediately after parking the truck. I quickly ranged the hog at about 140 yards. A distance I was not comfortable using the 17 HMR.

Got the gun, walked to the back of the truck, opened the window of the cap, lowered the tailgate and lowered the window. Stepped up on the tailgate, lowered the bipod and searched for the quarry. Nothing. Waited awhile and still nothing. I was sure the hog didn't climb over the berm it was on. I figured it must have dropped down below the visble plane between me and it. After 45 minutes of waiting, it finally reappeared, headed for the top of the berm and I was ready.

I placed the crosshairs on its shoulder and let fly a 45 gr hollow point. Wack! The hog didn't move. Once the tail flag went up I knew it was over. Ranged it again at 137 yds. Cold bore shot with the Venture.

Here is the DRT, the entrance wound and the ID. A smaller male with some light mange on its head.

Basic Member

Re: First Blood

Nicely done! I got my first and second of the season yesterday too. One sitting, the other was running. Both under 30 yards. I can't wait until the farmer mows. I found a few holes that weren't there 2 weeks ago.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

Dogbone

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317
    Nicely done! I got my first and second of the season yesterday too. One sitting, the other was running. Both under 30 yards. I can't wait until the farmer mows. I found a few holes that weren't there 2 weeks ago.
    Actually, that was my 15th of the season, but the first with the Savage. I would like to get more long range opportunities, but the majority of the farms I hunt don't have them. Any ghog at any distance is worth the effort. Keep gettin out there!

leo158

whats a savage venture? tc made the venture rifle?

Dogbone

Quote Originally Posted by leo158
    My apologies! Don't know where my mind was. It is a T/C Venture, not Savage! :-[

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone
    Quote Originally Posted by leo158
    My apologies! Don't know where my mind was. It is a T/C Venture, not Savage! :-[
    Nice break in shots with the new rig also................even if it is a T/C.... :D