Thread: Bench rest UPDATE

Bench rest UPDATE

I know this has been asked before because I for one have asked.
    Looking for a reasonably priced rest for BR comps., has anyone ever tried one of Greenlaws or Cowans(i think that is his name).If so how did you like them or any others that you may have used?
    I have a Caldwell BR but the upper has a wobble, tighten shoot a couple shots and it wobbles again,have to keep tightening.
    A Sinclair at $650 for 6-7 matches a year is a little steep IMO. The Greenlaw at around $400 is high also but is still a better price than $250 higher for the name on it.Any opinoins?

6/2/12
    Well as stated I decided on the D R Greenlaw rest "E STYLE" he said 6-8 weeks so I wasn't expecting anything until July 4-5, well I got an email and my rest is ready 4 weeks early and on it's way.
    Total cost with modifications to legs and levels added(mine) was $463.35 shipped. I would post pics. but not sure how to get them from my email to here.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

Re: Bench rest

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy
    A Sinclair at $650 for 6-7 matches a year is a little steep IMO.
    Hey Froggy,
    you dont have to buy the top of the line Sinclair rest.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ooting-Rest-BR

The Light weight rest is not bad at $159.95 on sale today for $139.95.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ghtweight-Rest

Heck if you look around at a match you will see most shooters are using the old tried and true basic rest, at $379.99 it is all you will ever need, and will last a life time.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...e-Windage-Rest

If you want to save a couple of bucks, and you dont care about windage adjustement you can get it with the lower end top. You can always upgrade latter down the road. Cost $299.95
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...l-Purpose-Rest

The rest your asking about "Greenlaws or Cowans" I can not say I have ever heard of them, or ever seen one, or ever hear/seen any BR competetor use one. Most shoot either a Hart, (What I use.) Farley, Sinclair, or SEB. Some of the old timers will use a Witchata. It may also be the region, we dont see alot of Stillar, Nesika, or Borden actions around this area, mostly Panda, or Bats, but if you go to diferent areas you will see diferent stuff.

82 boy the first is Greenlaws and the second is Joe Cowans, Take a look they are different but both pretty nice. I have seen the first and it is real stable.

http://www.drgreenlawmachining.com/_b__style_rest

http://team40x.com/member/cowan.html
    FROGGY

82boy

Of the 2 I would pick the Dr greenlawn, the cowan rest just looks cheap. The Dr greenlawn looks like the better deal but I still would not trade it for my Hart rest. To me it looks like a home made project. Out of all their rest I say the "E" style looks the best, it looks like what many long range shooters use and build. Even at 410-475 I would still go with the Hart or standard Sinclair rest, they are just plain hard to beat.

Basic Member

The new Sinclair front rest is great.

Terry

rjt, not to distract from your search for a better quality rest, but I thought i'd mention that the Caldwell rest can be easily fixed if you care to keep using it until you get a better one. Mine did the same thing as yours, and it is extremely annoying. I fixed mine by removing the large Philips head screw that holds the top assembly on, removed the top, put some glue in the socket, and reinstalled it and retightened. I used 3m automotive weatherstrip adhesive, mainly because that's all I had on hand. Use plenty. It worked well and cured the wobble.

Barrel-nut thanks for the idea, I will try it.

Patrick I need to look up the Hart rest, as I have never seen one. Most of the guys here are using the Sinclairs and 2 are using the SEB with a couple of home made that are combinations of some, but they are not interested in making any more(too much work).
    FROGGY

82boy

There web site, (They also make a great button rifled barrels)

http://www.rwhart.com/

Check out page #9 in their catalog (PDF) Competition rest 1 and 2.

I looked them up but right now I am leaning towards the D.R.Greenlaw rest.
    I emailed him and apparently they are pretty good sellers,there is a 6-8 week wait for one.Just like any other parts for a Savage.
    FROGGY

riverat

if you like Coax rest,Shadetree makes a real nice rest top to fit a few different bases at a really bargain price, www.shadetreeea.com

Jeff

Thanks for the web sites and ideas but I decided on the D.R.Greenlaw.
    Here is something different, when I ordered he did not want a deposit or payment up front. He said when it is ready for shipment he will contact me for payment. When was the last time anyone ordered anything gun related with out the upfront pay first and wait for it procedure.
    Mr. Greenlaw seems like a very resonable person to do business with.I'll see how long it actually takes to get my rest.
    Again thanks for the suggestions.
    FROGGY

STSCLAYS
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Thanks for the web sites and ideas but I decided on the D.R.Greenlaw.
    Here is something different, when I ordered he did not want a deposit or payment up front. He said when it is ready for shipment he will contact me for payment. When was the last time anyone ordered anything gun related with out the upfront pay first and wait for it procedure.
    Mr. Greenlaw seems like a very resonable person to do business with.I'll see how long it actually takes to get my rest.
    Again thanks for the suggestions.
    And your Product Evaluations is coming soon!