Thread: Anybody running Criterion Light Varmint contour barrels?

Anybody running Criterion Light Varmint contour barrels?

Curious how many folks have received Light Varmint contour barrels from Jim, and what your thoughts are on them.

I'm thinking of replacing my factory 26" 9twist 223 barrel with a 20-22" 8twist tube, and have also thought about "going down" to the LV contour from the standard Savage Varmint contour to save a little weight.

Toyoda

Re: Anybody running Criterion Light Varmint contour barrels?

I used one on a 223 I built for my wife, nice barrel. It is lighter than the varmint contour. She still says its heavy, but she shoots off the bench so it *shouldn't* matter.
    I can't remember if I went with a 9 or a 12 twist but it shoots great. I threw a light load together, sighted it in with 3 rounds then put a 5 shot group inside a dime-all touching.

I can get some pics later today if you need them.

leatherlunger

i would be interested in seeing it also. Looking at putting something together for my wife for her birthday. Shes has outgrown her 17hmr pretty quickly. Do you know what diameter the lv contour is at the muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyoda
    I can get some pics later today if you need them.
    That'd be awesome, especially if you can also include a standard varmint contour tube for comparison.

Thanks!

Team Savage

I've got two. One is a CBI LV .204 Ruger 11 twist cut back to 24" with a nice SS finish. The other is a CBI SS LV 6.5x284 26" 8 twist with matte SS finish. Both shoot in the 3's and clean up nice. I would go with the matte stainless steel finish if it is going to be use as a hunting rifle. Balance is good for off-hand shooting with 24" barrel and slightly muzzle heavy at 26". I can't find anything not to like about the LV contour.
    Last edited by jpdown; 07-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.

airaddict

Ive got one in 243 in a 9twist and it shoots great. It is 26" since it was an in stock barrel but im pushing 87 gr vmax pills at 3200 fps w no signs of pressure. This thing shoots great either dirty or clean and ive only run 100 rds thru it. It is consistantly inside MOA out to 400 yds since thats the farthest range we have. I simply love this tube!

Brian

I have the same CBI 26" heavy sporter and love it. I don't think the 26" will be as light as you want though but it balance very well on my action.

I would be really curious to see a picture of how the LV barrels look in a stock with a varmint inlet.

Basic Member
    Not to highjack but:
    jpdown, what is the wood stock on the lower rifle? How did the lv contour fit in the barrel channel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    I have the same CBI 26" heavy sporter and love it. I don't think the 26" will be as light as you want though but it balance very well on my action.
    Any chance you have a photo of the heavy sporter barrel?

Here you go. The stock is a Stockys. It is not a varmint model and was opened up by another member I bought it from.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Not to highjack but:
    jpdown, what is the wood stock on the lower rifle? How did the lv contour fit in the barrel channel?
    The picture is gone, but it was a Savage 14 Classic walnut stock that I opened up the barrel channel on to float the LV CBI contour barrel. I also shortened the forend by 2" and replaced the black plastic tip with actual ebony wood. Tru-oil finish.

I ordered two of them, getting real anxious to shoot them. Thinking about ordering another Criterion but in a hvy/bull factory contour.
    Last edited by DanS; 08-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Well, my Criterion light varmint 223AI barrel arrived! I'm very pleased with the barrel; a 22" LV is roughly 1.25lb lighter than a 26" varmint contour barrel. It is visibly narrower than my 260 varmint contour Criterion, or the Savage factory varmint barrel it replaced...but not so much so that it looks goofy in a stock.

I believe the McMillan A5 was originally inlet for a bull contour barrel; with a standard varmint contour there was plenty of clearance but here are some pictures so folks can see how the light varmint contour looks. I thought it might be "ugly" enough that I'd bed the barrel channel, but honestly I think it looks just fine as is.

Basic Member
    I have a 24" 6.5x284 in Heavy Sporter contour. It weighs 2.9lbs, (most factory 22" sporters I have are about 2.4lbs)

I forget the OD but it is a nice increase in stiffness and mass for heat absorption but still a reasonable barrel for lugging around the woods.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member
    Any one have the measurement for the OD at muzzle for the LV.

Basic Member
    I found it on website. Slight over look. :)

Basic Member
    I have a Criterion 1:9 .223 in Heavy Sporter Contour @ 24 in on Stevens action. Shoots great. Wish I would have gone with 1:8 twist, but I can shoot up to 70 gr bullets with it.

Quote Originally Posted by thejimmster View Post
    I have a Criterion 1:9 .223 in Heavy Sporter Contour @ 24 in on Stevens action. Shoots great. Wish I would have gone with 1:8 twist, but I can shoot up to 70 gr bullets with it.
    You shouldn't have any issue with 75gr HPBT and 77gr SMK/CCs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    You shouldn't have any issue with 75gr HPBT and 77gr SMK/CCs.
    Mixed results with 75 Amax. The 69 SMK are tack drivers.